Cabinet Question's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesD

Reaction score
Ok. The deal is that i am getting $899 dollars back for tax return in about 2 weeks. I am looking to pick up a new cabinet and wondering a few things.

1) I can get the Standard(oversized) rectifier cabinet and spend all of my tax return on it new or hope to find one in good shape on the bay.

2) I can get an Avatar 4x12 with V30's in it and still have a nice chunk of change left for whatever

3) I can get a Genz Benz Gflex 2x12 and have a little bit of money left as well

My problem is i am torn between all of my options. I want the recto cabinet the most but just don't want to be let down and lose on the deal

With the Avatar cab. i just don't want to spend that money and still not get the sound i was hoping for

With the Gflex cabinet i am in the same boat as the avatar cabinet but also might not be happy with having the 2x12 instead of a 4x12

Now I have heard great things about every one of these cabinet and have heard negatives on all as well. Problem being i have no way to test any of these cabinets so it is more off of just hear-say that i have to purchase.

So my question is what would you guys do in my situation or any further recomendations to help me seal the deal?

Sorry for the lengthy post :)

wow...if you go witht the mesa cab, i recommend going used. 899 is just way too much money i think. you can get an as new piece for 4-600. i have one and it's great. very very loud though, so take it into consideration. any 4x12 is going to be very loud.

that is what i was thinking was that i didn't really want to spend every last penny of my return on a new cabinet. I understand the loudness of the 4x12 i have a marshall 4x12 now, just looking for a new sound to add and/or add to it. Any more opinions? :D

defintly buy a used mesa 4x12, I have seen them as low as $375, just have to look over craigslist and keep your eyes open for awhile, you can score them at great prices locally.

I think you would be disappointed with anything but a mesa at this point, just depends if you want the oversized or traditional. By the way a traditional straight will be a nice mix between the traditionl slant and the oversized.

I have a Recto Standard 4x12. I also used to have both a vertical and horizontal Recto 2x12, but I stupidly sold them both with my Triaxis rig in '05. I should have kept the horizontal 2x12 (the vertical I thought only sounded so-so, though I liked the side-handles & casters!), and have been kicking myself ever since. Finally today I "re-bought" a used one in very good shape for $350.

Advantages over the Recto 4x12:
1. Sounds almost as full as the 4x12, and I think it actually sounds tighter.
2. Way less weight to haul around. It's still heavy as hell, but at least I can carry it up the stairs of my house myself!
3. For most venues a 4x12 is way, way overkill.
4. For recording purposes, the horizontal Recto will still get you as good if not better tone than a 4x12.
5. Cheaper!

I'd go with a horizontal Recto 2x12 if I were you, used if you can find one in good shape.

I'm a die hard Avatar user. I have two of their bass cabinets, and the speakers in my two Marshall cabs were purchased from them. If I had the cash, I'd invest in a couple more of them in a heartbeat. I've never heard a single bad thing about them.

So many options ahhh..Wish i could just buy one of each..lol :)

Think i am going to keep my eyes open on ebay for the boogie for a little while and see what i can find if not anything after a good bit i will have to make another decision at that point.

Latest posts

Back