Cabinet advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcdawg

Reaction score
I bought a Mark V head over the weekend. I'm going to be buying a cabinet soon for it. My options are either a 1x2 or 2x12... no need for a 4x12. Any recommendations?

I've noticed the combo has an open back, but for people who buy the heads on youtube tend to use a closed back cabinet. Interesting difference...

Anyways...is there anyone out there who uses the 1x12 widebody cab with the Mark V? If yes, how does it sound? Can you still get good punch and bass on channel 3?

Anyone else recently go through this decision process? I would love to hear your experience and your final decision.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have the Mark V head, a widebody 112 closed back, and a traditional angled 412. I really like the 112 closed back with the MC90 speaker with the Mark V. I'm not playing out any more, so I went this route for the small form factor in my home studio. It also sounds killer with the 5:25 head. I think it can hang very well in a band setting, but it won't have quite the same thump as a 212 will.

I have no experience with the 1x12 but I'll let you know what I think of the 2x12. I have both the 2x12 Vertical and the 2x12 Recto compact. I gig a lot and I like both cabinets but from what you say you are looking for I would recommend the 2x12 Recto compact. If I were going to do a small job and could only take one cabinet I would take the Recto Compact. The tone is awesome. I'm a real mid range person when it comes to tone. For my taste and working on stage bass is not my friend I have a bass player for that. I like crisp highs and midrange punch. I would also recommend the 2x12 vertical. The vertical has a bit more speaker box to it so it can produce a little more bottom end than the Recto Compact.

Here are my Pro's: The 2x12 Recto Compact "can" have lots of bass if that's your thing. It is small, just a little longer than the Mark V head. It has a nice tight sound, staccato runs jump forward and don't get flabby. Cleans are nice and crisp on the high end with nice rounded tone on the low end. It has very good note definition playing chords clean or driven. The Compact Recto is $50 less than the 2x12 recto horizontal.

Cons: it is quite heavy (50 lbs) with no wheels. There are no speakers angled up to help you hear it.

I have an Avatar contemporary 2x12 that came with 2 vintage 30s. I liked that quite a bit, but swapped one of the v30s for a weber blue dog ceramic and love it. The blue dog pumps big bottom and sparkly high while the v30 has those biting curing mids. Great mix with the mark v

Back