C+ question---60 watt v 100 watt v simulclass

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpace2

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this is a loaded question, but I was wanted to get some opinions about the ideal wattage for a C+. I'm sure most folks will say get a simul-class model, but I've found one that's 60 watts.

This amp in question is a conversion (done in 1995), it's a combo with GEQ and 60 watts. The seller is asking $1,800. What do you think of that price?

Thanks!
John

Some of the best clean tones I ever conjured were on a 60W C+ with no EQ. I have played quite a few
sixty's and find them to be equal to any 100W in terms of tone. The 100W is close but has more headroom and the simul adds to my ears a bit of output tube compression, which is what I prefer as it's a bit more rounded and slightly less aggressive.

Boogiebabies said:
Some of the best clean tones I ever conjured were on a 60W C+ with no EQ. I have played quite a few
sixty's and find them to be equal to any 100W in terms of tone. The 100W is close but has more headroom and the simul adds to my ears a bit of output tube compression, which is what I prefer as it's a bit more rounded and slightly less aggressive.

Thanks! I do like a decent clean tone, but I'm mainly after the high gain tones.

Since the preamps are nearly the same on all three, the overdrive is more similar on the 60 and 60/100.
It is a bit more aggressive in the high end, but presence adjustments can help you get near a simul-class tone, but not all the way. The Simul has a softer clip, but also allows you to run the presence higher to get a very interesting mix of smooth overdrive and the presence can control the amount of sizzle you want in your sound. I prefer to run my presence low, about 2.5 playing alone and adjust it higher to fit in a band mix. Preferably, I point it right at the drummer and destroy his hearing with my own version of C+ cymbal crash destroyer.

Latest posts

Back