Buying tubes for a Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfusionx

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV that needs new tubes. I really wanna try the Winged Cs, but they're just so expensive. I found an amplifier technician that has a store on eBay, and he sells kits for almost all Mesa amps, but his kit for the Mark IV is just a so-so JJ kit. He has a matched quad of Winged Cs that he had in amp for several hours and he's selling them at a huge discount. I decided to send the guy an email.

My email:
Do you know if these tubes could be checked for compatibility with a Mesa Boogie Mark IV? I love my amp, and I'd hate to blow it because I was silly enough to put incompatible tubes in. Thanks in advance.

His reply to me:
The Winged C will work fine in that amp. These are very good sounding tubes.

He's practically selling them to me at half price. Should I pull the trigger? If so, how will I know if they're not working properly? I really wanna snag these up, but I'm afraid I'll damage my amp if I'm not careful. Anyone have any advice here? The guy has thousands of feedback with a 99.6%, so it doesn't seem too risky.

I have Svetlana Winged =C= in both my amps.

One is a Marshall JVM and the second is a 89' Mark III green stripe.

They sound good in the Marshall. But in the Mark III... I was blown away!

They sound amazing! Tight bottom end, great highs and sweet mids!

They are a very musical sounding tube, worth the money in my opinion. Really improved the sound of my amp, the leads are so good now!

I run EL34 & 6L6 btw.

Go for it!

Winged C are my favorite production power tubes. They always sound great with all my amps! Although I have NOS philips in my Mark V.

I love the winged C's 6L6 in my Mark IV. On a side note, I have Winged C 6L6's in all my amps.

Another vote for the =C=. I am currently running a 6L6/EL34 combo in my Mark IV. Just make sure that who ever you buy from sells you middle rated SEDs. Then they will run fine. I always buy from TubeDepot.com. I also have a quad of SEDs =C= 6L6 for my Mark IV.

Back