BOOGIE LOVE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby1

Reaction score
Just like to say hello to everyone, been reading the board daily for the last few months, decided to become a member last week. Just replaced mt Stiletto Ace & DR with a RKII

Some great threads on here, seems to be a load of people who really know what they are talking about.

Devils Advocate time :evil:

I've noticed a lot of love for Roadsters and triple rectifiers...

where is the Roadking love?

not many of us can afford them..... :x

Ok enough kidding around.... I think the RK in general either one scares most people's wallets or scares them in general because of all the switches and modes and tubes etc. The Roadster being a more slimmed down version of the RK (not by very much) is a little easier to digest for some. Also when comparing the two, if you dont NEED the progressive tube switching, 2 fx loops or cab switching, then you basically have yourself a Roadster and considering the price point between a regular DR and the Roadster isnt much, its a no brainer to throw in a little more $$$ for a better cleans and an extra channel.

So at the end of the day i dont think there is a lack of love, its just more that the Roadster is more accessible, both in features and price tag. Thats just my observation... if you look around though, I havent found any threads with RK complaints... thats a good thing :wink:

BTW, welcome to the club.

ROADSTER 1+ It's so amazing that it can sound like alot of amps with right eq settings and tubes. The cleans kills anything out there except a real Lonestar. I sold a Line 6 Vetta II, and some other gear to get it never looking back. If you play Metal, Jazz, Blues styles the Roadster is the best bet.

Thank you

I've only owned mine a couple of weeks, look forward to dialing in 4 great channels...

I'm hoping it'll satisfy my search for th holy grail :D

In a good way I've found most my mesas have to be really explored (eq,loop,volumes,tubes..)before you get the best (rather than some plug n play type amps) gives them much more depth... and me something to think about other than work!!

How do you set yours up generally?

Hi there !

I had a few tubes changes on my RK : 5751 tubes in V2 V3
It gives me less gain but sounds better in my opinion.
Maybe I'll try another tube in V1 because I'd still like more clean headroom.
(If you have any idea of a tube suitable for V1 providing less gain and more headroom, don't hesitate!)

SETTING 1)
I use ch1 in clean (or fat in some cases) 4x6L6 with a 2x12 open cab with weber JBL120 clones in it. Very fenderish.
I use a RC booster to boost this channel and/or a fulldrive 2

SETTING 2)
I use ch2 in brit mod with 2XEL34 with not too much gain so I still get clean tone with an edge in marshall flavor. I use a roadster 2x12 cab in this setting.
I use a fulldrive 2 OR a BB preamp OR a OCD as overdrives in order to get some mid-gain lead tones.

SETTING 3)
I use ch3 in Vintage mod with not too much gain in 2x6L6 + 2xEL34. I use both cabs together. it gives me some kind of compressed crunch.
I use a fulldrive 2 OR a BB preamp OR a OCD in overdrive mode in order to get a very rich lead tone.

I'm globally happy with this amp. What I appreciate the most is the power section switching and the cabinet switching.
I'm very fond of channel 1 and 2. I'm not ultra fan of the gain channels. That's why I prefer to alter the tone with pedals instead of using fully the ovordrive of channel 3. I don't like the modern feature.
I don't really use rectifier nor the spongy feature.

I use a prock rack G decimator and a G-major in loop 2.
I use Ground control switcher and pedalboard and a rjm gizmo.
I don't use the built in reverb but I plan to try in some settings.

What I really appreciate is to cover a lot of music styles wtithout being obliged to choose from 6L6/EL34 or open/close back cabs and so on.

This amp is not very difficult to use. The main difficulty is to experiment a lot because sometimes your favorite settings is not the one you would have think of first.

phil110567 said:
Hi there !

I had a few tubes changes on my RK : 5751 tubes in V2 V3
It gives me less gain but sounds better in my opinion.
Maybe I'll try another tube in V1 because I'd still like more clean headroom.
(If you have any idea of a tube suitable for V1 providing less gain and more headroom, don't hesitate!)

Try a Sylvania 12ax7 short-plate... i have one in V1 and it has a lot of headroom, very clean sounding. Also a Siemens ecc83 long plate (if you can find one) in V2 also gets you some nice clarity with a very rich harmonic top end.

Sad as it is... i'll have to save all this knowledge for a re-tube at a later date... thanks for the input

Perhaps I play too loud but I don't feel I get the headroom on CH3, Vintage, EL34,Bold, Rectified?

Any tips on the effects loop settings?

Moby1 said:
Sad as it is... i'll have to save all this knowledge for a re-tube at a later date... thanks for the input

Perhaps I play too loud but I don't feel I get the headroom on CH3, Vintage, EL34,Bold, Rectified?

Any tips on the effects loop settings?

adjust the effects loop until you have a balanc3ed signal to whatever effects your using. the way i do it is set the level half way and turn on and off your fx loop until you dont hear any volume drop. Another way to do it is max the send to 100% and adjust the level on your pedals... i would use this if you only have one pedal/fx unit in there other wise do it the first way.

Latest posts

Back