Boogie Fever - The only Cure is...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante

Reaction score
...More Boogie

I'm looking to purchase a small 1x12 combo for my intense gigging schedule. I'm in a cover band that plays everything (surprise, that's what all cover bands say). In my case, it's actually true. We play mostly dance tunes, pop rock, alternative stuff, and newer alternative radio stuff. We also delve into several Country tunes, some "new" Country (read: old rock musicians that moved to Nashville), Reggae, Blues, Funk and even a couple of Metal tunes. So, I really do need versatility.

What I'm using now is a Musicman combo (50w SS preamp, 2 6L6s in the power section) running crystal clean with a TC Electronic Nova System in front of it. While I love the Musicman, it's always a struggle keeping that high beaming tone under control. It's clean, but a bit too bright to compete with crash cymbals in the mix. I want a rounder, deeper clean tone. I have been plugging my combo into a Thiele cab with an EVM12L and that helps the bottom, but I still feel I'd be better served with a warmer voiced amp. I would also like the idea of using the AMP for my gain tone(s), rather than the effects. Please keep in mind that a MarkV is outta my price range right now - I'm shooting for $600-$800

Here are some that I've been considering, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
DC-5 (this is the front runner right now)
.50 Caliber (Plus model w/rocker switches)
Maverick (it's a 2x12)
F-50
Rectoverb 1x12
The new Mini Recto (w/1 or both of my Thiele cabs)

Dante,

either the DC-5 or the Mini Recto (I´d prefer the DC-5 though......)

Magnus :D :D :D

BTW, welcome in here!!!!!!!!

Magnus, I already got your opinion (lol)!!

Thanks man, I'm going to try the DC-5 this evening (& make sure I can lift it), then there's a Mini Recto near me and an old 50 Caliber that I may try out too...just for comparison. I don't like the idea of a shared EQ for the clean/dirty channels in the 50 Cal.

I'm still leaning towards the DC-5, mostly because of YOU.

...allright 8)

Make sure to be sensitive with the EQ pots....it´s no ADA or Marshall :mrgreen:
Bass 0-4
Mids to your gusto
Treble 4-6 (affects the gain)
...do the *real* fine EQ'ing with the 5band EQ

Crank it and rock!

I've used the DC-5 in a couple of variety bands covering classic rock, disco, pop, country, dance etc. With a dirt pedal for slight breakup and another for light crunch I could cover a lot of territory without touching the amp. If you want small and don't need the headroom the DC-5 offers you might look at the DC-3. Fits perfectly on top of a Thiele cabinet. If this is your first Mesa then be sure to heed Triaxstasy warning on the tone controls. Read the manual.

DC-3 is on the left.

MesaDCAmps.jpg

Man, I like the size of that amp. I fear the headroom issue would become an issue though. Would a DC-5 chassis (maybe a short head?) fit into that combo? That would be sweet. I'm not going there, just thinking out loud.

dante said:
Man, I like the size of that amp. I fear the headroom issue would become an issue though. Would a DC-5 chassis (maybe a short head?) fit into that combo? That would be sweet. I'm not going there, just thinking out loud.

I really don't think so. The head room isn't bad for an el84 amp at lower volumes but for fair amount of clean I'd stay with 50 watt 6l6 amps personally. I had the 100 watt head that I foolishly sold. That was a monster for what I did.

This may be out of my price range right now, but what opinions do people have of the Mark III combo? It's little, 3 channels, some models (Simulclass) have the GEQ, and it fits on a Thiele cab nicely.

intriguing

Now, all I have to do is sell some other gear, he he

Forget the Mark III for now, the DC-5 is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I bought it today & it kills. I can't wait to swap out some preamp tubes that my dear friend Triaxstasy suggested. The power tubes were just recently replaced with EH 6L6GCs, I doubt I'll decipher a different power tube as much as preamp tubes.

His words:
Put in a JJ ECC803 as Phase Inverter and as Reverb Driver and put Mullard 12AX7 Reissues in all other spots and there´s no ice-pick highs but creamy liquid goodness with awesome harmonics and a bold defined but ever so slightly Boogie-typical spongy low end.

Thanks for the advice, it saved me some serious driving around to find what I was after

UPDATE: I couldn't resist bringing the beast to our St. Patrick's Day gig last night...totally untested. I hadn't had any time to really crank her up to gig level, but it worked out just fine. (the Musicman was in the car just in case :))

Holy carp, that amp sounds bigger than it is. I simply found a decent clean tone, used my TCE Nova System for all the gains and played the gig. I had the channel switch next to my pedal board for a couple songs and it sounded, again, HUGE. Not loud, just wide and big, and audible. Honestly, we mic everything and I didn't have it that loud, I could hear it better in the monitor than from the amp.

Today I took some time to really explore some settings based upon a combination of the Boogie suggestions and what I found to work with my guitars. It is a really wonderful amp, I must say. The versatility of it is pretty amazing.

I'm pretty sure I posted this photo is the "show us your rig" thread or something like that, but here it is again.

BoogieRig-sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back