Boogie Blues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesProf

Reaction score
I want to buy a Boogie for blues and some blues rock. I have had a LSS, which I returned due to lack of volume and issues with the 5y3 rectifier tube blowing. I then had a replacement LSC which I returned due to an undiagnosable rattle. However, of the 2 amps the best tonally was the LSS but it did not have the volume to keep up in some situations. My favorite guitar sounds are Buddy Whittington's DrZ Maz 38 Senior and Walter Trout's mark IV. I also adore Clapton's Cream era tone. I was wondering if there was a mesa which would cover all these bases, possibly a MkIV, as I LOVE the complex switching and graphic EQ, to my mind what makes a boogie a boogie. Do are these features really necessary, or would another LSS/LSC be fine? Also, will there be a Mark V, wich may have thew Lonestar's clean and reverb, with the gain channel and grahic EQ from the MkIV?
Just for refernece I am using a PRS Modern Eagle, PRS 513 Brazillian, and some strats.
Opinions Please! [/i]

I would say try another LSS for the stuff you're going for. 30 tube watts should be plenty for any situation. You might want to try a head and cab setup instead of a combo, because combo's have more issues with the tubes being so close to the speakers, also for versatility- running the head into a 1x12 cab will be quieter than running it into a 4x12 (unless the 1x12 is EV loaded :twisted: ).

Chiming in to try the LSS again, and agree with the other poster who said to try head cab, or try and extension cab to move more air.

I'm playing PRS Cu24 and a Strat through a LSS myself, and the sound is outstanding.

Alternatively, if you need the volume only for live situations in larger venues, mike the amp into the PA.

Dave

No matter which amp design you choose, get a head. You will have a lot less problems and more freedom to get your tone when you aren't having speakers rattle your tubes at high sound pressure levels. You can use vintage old stock preamp tubes for their superior tones without worry of shaking them to death. By having the capability of variety in cabinet choices over time you will find the speaker/cab choices that will make you happier than a combo could. A couple or three various cabs will be nice for different room sizes and tonal palettes.

Since you are a blues player, perhaps you like the EC bluesbreaker tone...that is found in a tube rectified Marshall JTM45 type amp using kt66 power tubes. That tube is powerful and does a wonderful fat full sweet blues tone. Hard to find a better example than a Siegmund Midnight Blues Breaker head. Spendy, but definitely worth every single penny. Best of luck!

Elpelotero said:
whatever you end up getting, you BETTER post some sort of clips with those brazilian beauties you got there.

I got a chance to play a 513 Brazillian last week. I loved the way that neck felt and sounded!

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming! What difference will I notice with an EV speaker in an LSS 112? Also, I am still lusting after the graphic EQ on the MkIV, is it necessary, and can I get lonestar quality cleans out of it?
Thanks for the PRS complimnents, no one makes a guitar like Paul Reed Smith, for more PRS info check out the Birds and Moons forums.

You won't get lonestar cleans out of the Mark IV, and I don't think the lonestar needs the graphic EQ. The Mark IV has sterile cleans to my ears (I like playful cleans). EV's sound cleaner and fuller to my ear (as well as louder) than v30's or c90's. FYI the LSS or LSC (haven't made up my mind yet) is next on my list of amps, but I'll be getting a short head and setting it on either my 2x12 HB or 1x12 Open Back.

I would suggest several different Boogies; HeartBreaker, MK IV, for starters both have the option to experiment with different power sections (EL 34, 6L6, or 6V6 ) which would help to voice the amp in a Bluesier direction. I have both of those amps and can tell you for a fact that they're fine for Blues & the cleans aren't sterile. There's several amps in the DC series that are great for the Blues, I own the DC 10 and use it for everything. Swapping preamp tubes can help to shape the preamp section characteristics, but you need to experiment. The thing is that I don't think that the stores will let you swap out tubes to your heart's content. One other amp is the Blue Angel (6V6's w/EL 84's) There's a goldmine of tone waiting to be mined, I don't have one but I'm willing to bet that ther's tons of potential there!Good luck in your search.

Others who have used/owned a Mk IV will be able to comment more authoritatively; I haven't played a Mk since 1978. However, I have been interested in one, only because of the lure of potentially going from clean to crunch to scream in a single amp (without external pedals).

In looking at a number of used Mk IVs, though, I see two common themes in the "why I'm selling" arena. Theme 1, less common, is "it's too heavy to haul to my gigs" (implying that the user wanted a lighter combo). Theme 2, much more common, is "I've never really been able to open it up the way it needs to be." I.e. when the output is at the sweet spot, it's just too loud.

If you need/can use the volume anyway, maybe that's not a problem.

Dave

I think (I could be wrong) that most people don't explore all the varibles in the equation, when checking out the tonal possibilities of Mesa Boogie amps. How often do we hear things that suggest "option anxiety or too many knobs". The best thing that I can tell someone when trying to "get the sound that I hear in my head" is to think outside of the box. EXPERIMENT, DE-CONSTRUCTION ,AS A BUILDING BLOCK...WORKS WONDERS!

mrmax said:
I think (I could be wrong) that most people don't explore all the varibles in the equation, when checking out the tonal possibilities of Mesa Boogie amps. How often do we hear things that suggest "option anxiety or too many knobs". The best thing that I can tell someone when trying to "get the sound that I hear in my head" is to think outside of the box. EXPERIMENT, DE-CONSTRUCTION ,AS A BUILDING BLOCK...WORKS WONDERS!

Agreed 100%. Also, audio perception has complex issues; e.g. in A/B of stereo speakers, people often prefer the "louder" (i.e. more efficient) set, despite other characteristics. Fatigue has a great deal to do with perception as well.

Approaching changes in a systematic way can help, at least at first, to learn about the many issues. For example, set tone settings central, then run low, medium, high output volumes and listen on-axis/off-axis, then change tone settings and repeat the process. (That's just one way of going about it, there are a lot of others.)

Dave

Thanks for the info, I was considering an LSS 112 with either an EV or JBL speaker, what difference will I notice? Will it be loud enough for gigging? Also, what is the reverb like on a mk IV? Is it suitable for sweet vintage blues or is it more of a rock/metal amp? Is the graphic eq necessary?

Latest posts

Back