'Blending' Two Pres

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemporarilyStairs

Reaction score
Hey all, I know that the answer to this is the same as everything else... try it and see! However, I just wanted to ask if anybody had any experience or anything.

Basically, I've kicked around the idea of going to a dual pre-amp setup, though it's not 'necessary' if you will, given that I <3 my Quad... maybe I'm just jonesing about the brief period in the past I used a two amp setup. Anyway, the obvious means to this end for more versatility and craziness is a full stereo setup and if I keep up wanting to do this that'll be the ultimate goal, I think... but I was wondering if anybody has ever ran two pre-amps simultaneously into the same power section and cab? I mean, in the simplest way possible... y'know, like an ABY in front and an ABY after the pres, that kind of thing?

Poking around the 'net it doesn't seem common, but is there a major hangup to it that just isn't popping into my head here? Or does it tend to just sound like crap? Other than the obvious pro to this idea (dirt cheap!) vs. a fully independent stereo setup, I also know how annoying it can be doing the two amp thing in a live setting, since it leaves a lot more of your tone in the hands of whoever happens to be behind the board than I tend to like ;) Anybody do this, done this, know of people that do it?

My rack is configured this way; basically I'm running like this:

Guitar -> Wireless -> Wah -> Axess Electronics BS-2 Splitter

Each signal of the BS-2 goes to a separate Axess Electronics GRX4

In one GRX4, I've got an Egnater M4 and a Boss GL100 because it does incredible clean tones...

In the other GRX4, I've got another Egnater M4 and a Digitech GSP1101, using it for both preamp and effects tones when necessary.

Each preamp is then fed back to it's respective GRX4 in loops of course and then out of each GRX4, I'm running into two TC Electronic G-Majors, just because I have two laying around, and figured I'd might as well use 'em if I have 'em...

I'm then running out of each G-Major into each side of a stereo power amp (I've been playing with my VHT 2/90/2, Mesa 2:100 and my Mesa 20/20) -- I think I'm digging the 20/20 more these days, so that's what I'm going with right now.

I'm then running out of the 20/20 into four Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabs.
I have two cabs on each side of the stage. I tried running them in an X pattern to get both tones on both sides of the stage, but found that I like the separation of each on it's own side better.

For my band (hard rock), I'm using the Egnater ERECT and Egnater EG5 at the same time.

It's a monster tone.
It's possible with less gear to have this setup, but since I have it all already, that's how I'm doing it.

I've been contemplating the dual preamp setup for a few days myself. Looking at maybe my Triaxis plus a modded ADA MP-1. I was gonna keep it much simpler than you guys and just run each pre into it's own channel on a 20/20 and then each out of the 20/20 to a half of a 4x12 cab. So it'd be like quasi-stereo. I figure if I do that and each side of the 4x12 has a V30 and a Greenback it ought to be pretty bad-***. Or it may totally suck. Only one way to find out I guess.

The only problem with that is how to get your guitar signal into both preamps without any hum/ground problems.
Sometimes you can get away with an ABY box, but that's not the best way to do it.

jimosity said:
The only problem with that is how to get your guitar signal into both preamps without any hum/ground problems.
Sometimes you can get away with an ABY box, but that's not the best way to do it.

This is done by using a buffer with isolated outputs, like the Axess BS-2. Some quality AB-Y switches are buffered too, like the Framptone switcher.

Octavarius said:
jimosity said:
This is done by using a buffer with isolated outputs, like the Axess BS-2. Some quality AB-Y switches are buffered too, like the Framptone switcher.

+1 with the Axess BS-2, I'm using it to run my Studio Pre and Rocktron Piranha into each channel of my VHT 2/50/2 and it works great with no noise issues.

USE ONE AS A MAIN PREAMP...I USE MY QUAD AS THAT...GO THROUGH YOUR EFX SEND TO ONE OR MORE PREAMPS WITH A SPLITTER OR JUNCTION BOX TO THE INSTRUMENT INPUT OF ALL PREAMPS ...TAKE THE OUTPUTS OF THE PREAMPS IN STEREO ...THEN RUN THROUGH A BEHRINGER MIXER ..MINE IS A 1622 WITH THE 24 BIT PROCESSOR...WHICH MEANS NO HUM....COST IS 209 USD....TAKE THAT OUTPUT IN STEREO FROM THE MIXER TO THE EFX RETURNS ....MIX AS YOU PLEASE ....I USE THIS FOR MY PROCESSORS AND ALL PREAMPS...

Latest posts

Back