Best Tube Sets for the Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWAKO

Reaction score
I bought my Mark V used a little over a year ago and still have yet to replace the tubes even though it is recommended after buying a used head. It's getting to the point I can tell the tubes are starting to go and I'm beginning to get some hum from what I believe to be some of the preamp tubes. So, I'm thinking it maybe just be time to completely retube it.

I've seen "re-tube kits" advertised from places like Eurotubes and The Tube Store, are these worth checking into? Or are there any other great tube combos that work well in the Mark V for modern mid focused hi-gain tones? I've heard great things about winged Cs. I've been curious about EL-34's in the power section. Any advice or experience you have had would be very helpful. Thanks

Dougs tubes is where alot of Mesa people go to on here, including me. He a little smaller tube store and all his tubes are top notch. He actually taking loses before sending me tubes just so I can get the right tubes and tone from my amp. I would suggest looking at his Mesa preamp tube kit. The tube kit for Dual Rec is the same one for Mark V. Or just give him a call or email he responds really fast. If you got the cash get SED's or if you dont wanna spend $160 for them get the Ruby 6L6gcstr. Note: If you do settle on JJ's then call Eurotubes.

Preamp tubes? Those should last a while. Try to isolate the bad one, if there is a bad one, and replace it.

Power tubes are a different story and you'll get plenty of input. I can say I've used Mesa, Ruby, Groove and now I'm using JJ. I've never been like "Wow, what a difference between Brand A and Brand B". There was a noticeable difference between my Mesa EL34s and the JJ E34Ls, but not so much to get my expectations up. Slightly smoother top end and a little more bottom.

And personally, I love EL34 type tubes. Definitely associated with British/Marshall tones, but they cover a lot of ground and in the Mark 5, the clean sound is still great, but it isn't that lush Fender clean tone. You'll need 6L6s for that.

Choose your tube type, 6L6 or EL34 and get what you feel are best for the money.

And don't forget to flip that bias switch!

Between MESA and Svetlanas 6L6 i must say, the svets feel more thight, but with a less bottom, and for pre well, i just retubed this way but i have not tested yet that because im waiting for my speaker to arrive but its like this

V1: Mullard 12ax7
V2:JJ Gold pin Ecc83
V3: Mullard 12ax7
V4: JJ standard 12ax7
V7: JJ hi fi gold pin long plates

before this i was using all stock but V1 wich i use mullard, and V2 wich i use a RCA NOS,

hope helps

Dre.

Andre Oliveros said:
Between MESA and Svetlanas 6L6 i must say, the svets feel more thight, but with a less bottom, and for pre well, i just retubed this way but i have not tested yet that because im waiting for my speaker to arrive but its like this

V1: Mullard 12ax7
V2:JJ Gold pin Ecc83
V3: Mullard 12ax7
V4: JJ standard 12ax7
V7: JJ hi fi gold pin long plates

before this i was using all stock but V1 wich i use mullard, and V2 wich i use a RCA NOS,

hope helps

Dre.

Actually, I use almost the exact same lineup in the preamp of my Mark IV:
V1: Tung-Sol 12ax7 RI
V2: JJ Gold Pin ecc83
V3: Mullard 12ax7 RI
V4: Mesa 12ax7-a (standard JJ ecc83)
V5: JJ Hi-Performance Gold Pin ecc803s Long Plate

In the power section I actually just switched over to the new Tung-Sol 6l6GC-STR from =C=, mainly due to price. I have to say though, honestly these new Tung-Sol 6l6GC-STR's are holding their own against the =C='s!

Overall, I have found this to be the best tone I've ever had. It's tight, fat, organic, expressive, and tonefull.

Zach

Zach

Just started a poll...and just dropped some Mullard EL34's in my MV with good results.
But the real taste test will be when I test various NOS stuff I have in storage.

I've used Mesa's stock 6L6 and their Str450el34's. There both exceptional and I could not pick one or the other as being better. In a nutshell the 6L6's have more power, bass a grinding gain. The el34's have a smoother gain IMO and seem to have less volume fluctuation. I've been back and forth since the FIVE was released and my mind has changed about what I like better many times.

It's also worthy to note that whatever you decide, mix it up after a period of time and you'll appreciate them even more.

As far as preamp tubes i'm still using the ones that shipped with it and they're holding up well.

Latest posts

Back