Best practices for my FX setup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
I am admittedly more of a player than I am knowing a lot of the technicalities of the equipment that I play. That being said, I wanted to see if you guys might be able to help me with the best way to set up the gear that I have, with regard to pedals, fx loops, etc. I realize that some of this is subjective and can be ran in different orders and such but any help would be greatly appreciated. Basically my goal here is to find out what order the pedals should go in, and whether or not they should be in the loop of the amp. My equipment is as follows:

2008 Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 Combo
Boss NS-2
Maxon OD-808
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss RC-2
Boss DD-3

I'm assuming that the BBE, RC-2 and DD-3 should all be in the fx loop of the Roadster but what order should they go in?

Should the NS-2 be ran into the front of the amp and then run the Maxon into the loop of the NS-2 or just the regular input of the NS-2?

Does the TU-2 just get ran into the Tuner Out on the Roadster?

Any other suggestions are definitely welcomed.

Thanks much in advance!

First of all, in front of the amp, put the tuner first. Then distortion, and then the noise reduction.

Loop:
The delay is the last thing in the loop. I don't know what the BBE and RC-2 are, but the delay is the last thing whatsoever. All modulations and hip hop things are in the loop. I guess you already know that if you put reverb and delay and stuff in front of the amp, it will be distorted as well. You just know that.

Not very describing, but anyway, totally OK

Misery,

I'd make a few important changes to the placement order that EirikBrandal suggested. Connect the tuner to the tuner output on the amp, that's what it's there for.

Before the amp, the chain should be: guitar>Maxon OD-808>amp. There's a bit of a question, though, regarding the Boss RC-2 and DD-3. Both are actually delay pedals, the Loop Station just gives you a much longer delay time to choose from. It might be a bit odd to have both a delay pedal and a looper on at the same time, but it's your sound. Besides, you may simply want to be able to choose between them, having only one of them on at a time.

Either way, for the effects loop, the chain should be: send>BBE Sonic Stomp>Boss NS-2>Boss DD-3>Boss RC-2>return. The Sonic Stomp is a tone type of effect, so it comes first in the loop. The noise gate is always placed as late as possible in the chain, but always before delay and reverb effects, so that the delays you hear do not contain signal noise.

Anyway, there ya go....have fun.

I got a pretty similar setup and I put the RC-2 at the end of the FX loop(i don't have a NS-2 though). Since it sample all your sounds to loop them, it's obviously the best place to put it!

Latest posts

Back