Belated NAD!!!! Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne head.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I realize this is a tad belated since I picked up the head in Chicago on Saturday Evening but this is the first time in TEN years that I purchased a 'new' guitar head and I probably will not get another one for awhile. I got it used but it is still in showroom condition!

I've been practicing on the amp for a few days here and I totally love it. Some of my favourite features are the excellent clean tone, the excellent crunch / lead tones, and the amazing amount of sounds available from such a simplified design. Of course I say 'simplified' since the circuitry is anything but simple.

So far I like:
Low volume tones (not fizzy and rather Mark-esque)
High gain tones
Blues tones
Clean tones
Crunch tones
Gig volume tones.
45 watt 'classic rock' type tones. (VERY British / cranked power section tube amp sounding)
90 watt 'ballsy' more aggressive tones. (More firm but still awesome)

The list goes on.

Only two complaints so far:
-If this amp had two or three separate EQs with 3 volume (gain) knobs and 3 master (volume) knobs it would have really made this an astounding amplifier. The bandaid solution for this is to set up the guitar pickups for maximum tonal flexibility. It works wonders. If that doesn't work, one can always buy the combo version for clean tones and AB two of them. I suppose that is a workable solution. If I ever track with this thing in the Studio, this problem will disappear there for SURE!!!

-With the UBER high gain, there simply is not the same note separation like there is with something like a Dual Rectifier. For Rhythm tones, I end up rolling back the volume pot a bit to add more clarity to the crunch. Perhaps a boost pedal would solve times when maximum aggression is required and note separation is needed. I don't see myself playing that kind of music for awhile so that point is moot.

In spite of the single control layout, I had a bit of trouble dialing in tones at first. It was tricky to figure out how the controls worked since they interact with one another, just like EVERY Mesa amp. At any rate, I'm figuring out things quickly, even if I have to explore more settings.

I love this amp and I knew this from the first time I tried one at the L&MQ out in Vancouver. (One of the few good ones in Canada) That being said, it is not for everyone. It is not as heavy or high gain as a Recto and it doesn't have that sort of clarity, tightness, or urgency. You can dial in the Electra Dyne to be tighter but it isn't a Mark or a Dual. It is a FANTASTIC rock / blues amp but I would stay away from it if you play heavier styles.

Well it didn't happen since there is no proof -- we need pics :mrgreen:

Yes, pictures needed :lol:

Really glad to hear its working for you. If you think it sounds good now, just wait until you get some new tubes like the SED =C= in it.

From the first time I played one, I wanted one. I was testing a guitar and that is what the shop plugged me into. I'd just bought an Express 5:25 6 months before and didn't bother testing the ED because I didn't have the money for one and needed a new amp fast. It ended up being a year and a half more before I could get one. 6 months down the track I am even happier than when I got it. I don't even think about turning on the JCM800 anymore. The ED just has me coverd from clean to heavy rock.

Good for you!.You`ve got the head. I will too. What cabinet and speakers do you have? what combinations have you tried?I have a 2x12 Rectifier cab w/V30`s and am kinda worried about the matchup!jeffp

Cabs I've tried with the ED:

1) Stiletto 4 x 12. Absolutely LOVE this. It sounds huge with so much mid focused crunch!

2) Wide Body combo format. Also LOVE this. In fact, if I had extra $$$s I'd order the tan 1 x 12 wide format cab with the c90 to go with it.

3) Cradlefish's Whitebox cab with a v30 and a WGS 65??? Something like that. This also sounded great. Very thick and crunchy cab.

4) My homemade 2 x 12 'mills copy'. (Made after a Mach 212B)
It sounds a bit grainy at bedroom volumes but it is fantastic once I crank it up. I have a v30 and a c90, a speaker combination I would STRONGLY recommend with an Electra Dyne. If one is looking for Mesa 2 x 12s, an Electra Dyne 2 x 12 with a v30 and c90 would be my first suggestion. If you want a 4 x 12, try the Stiletto. Otherwise, I'm sure the Roadking 2 x 12 would work well too. If you have money to burn, look into a Mills Mach212B. I'm sure they sound even better than my homebrew thing and it rocks!!!

J.J said:
Yes, pictures needed :lol:

Really glad to hear its working for you. If you think it sounds good now, just wait until you get some new tubes like the SED =C= in it.

From the first time I played one, I wanted one. I was testing a guitar and that is what the shop plugged me into. I'd just bought an Express 5:25 6 months before and didn't bother testing the ED because I didn't have the money for one and needed a new amp fast. It ended up being a year and a half more before I could get one. 6 months down the track I am even happier than when I got it. I don't even think about turning on the JCM800 anymore. The ED just has me coverd from clean to heavy rock.

Yes, this thing is like a Mesa-ized JCM800 on steriods with a Plexi and a Fender Blackface in the same box. It doesn't get much better than this!

JAZZGEAR said:
Well it didn't happen since there is no proof -- we need pics :mrgreen:

Maybe... Gotta practice now. I am procrastinating.

Well Yellowjacket about the 2x12 . I have the rectifier cab w/2-V30`s, and i have no problem changing out one speaker for a C90. Thanks for the advise on that. That`s one of the options i had considered and was waiting to see if anyone would suggest. thanks. jeffp

Jeffp,
there are two 16ohm mc90s for sale in the classifieds on the forum here. I'd STRONGLY suggest that swap bang for buck. I have been REALLY enjoying the c90 / v30 combo ever since 94Tremoverb suggested it.

**** Electra Dyne, It cut 45 minutes into my Cello practice time. My Bach is getting sloppy because I'm too busy rocking out! I was using the blue channel for rhythm tones today. I discovered when I dig the hell into my guitar it can get pretty heavy sounding!!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54974

^________________________^

Now I wonder where I can get bronco tan tolex??? I really need to match my cab with the head.

Yes, the C90 and V30 mix is great. If I get a 2x12 cab it will start with that pair. Another thing that really helps is getting the speaker cab off the ground. The combo version can be tilted back easily, but it takes a little more work for the head and cab. I am considering the vertical Recto 2x12, but the size and weight is not ideal for me.

So YellowJacket you finally pulled the trigger on the ED! I hope you like it, I'm STILL waiting on my Nailbombs to get here, but I've finally made my EMG x-series pickups to workout pretty well until then. I found that running it at 45 watts live, even for high gain tones, is best considering the sound guy always is telling me to turn down. This amp through my 2x12 road king cab has made me love the ED even more, it definitely tightens up the low end and makes it less boomy. I finally found an EQ I love and I haven't touched it since. Down the line I'm going to get the Royal Atlantic and run them in stereo, but until then the ED will do just fine. :)

DWAKO said:
So YellowJacket you finally pulled the trigger on the ED! I hope you like it, I'm STILL waiting on my Nailbombs to get here, but I've finally made my EMG x-series pickups to workout pretty well until then. I found that running it at 45 watts live, even for high gain tones, is best considering the sound guy always is telling me to turn down. This amp through my 2x12 road king cab has made me love the ED even more, it definitely tightens up the low end and makes it less boomy. I finally found an EQ I love and I haven't touched it since. Down the line I'm going to get the Royal Atlantic and run them in stereo, but until then the ED will do just fine. :)

Good to know. I absolutely LOVE the Road King 2 x 12!! I have a homebrew cab that is built off of the TL806 plans. It is basically two TL806 cabs in the same box. It is currently loaded with G12m Heritage speakers but I am seriously considering swapping to either 2 v30s, a v30 and c90, or 2 c90s. I'm leaning towards the v30 and c90 combo. I have that in my oversized 2 x 12 and it works great with the Recto. http://boreas.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders%20Plans/TL806%20Builders%20Plans.pdf
The TL 806 has this sort of scooped almost nasal crunchy quality to the tone so I'm thinking the trick is to load it with the 'right' speakers for what I need. If you look at the plans there is an optional port cover that gives a low frequency rolloff. I'm also tempted to put a v30 and c90 in, and seal off the v30 enclosure entirely. The only problem is that the enclosed space in this cab design is smaller than the Roadking 2 x 12 so the results might not be favourable. For now, I'm tempted to try the cab cover.

The Electra Dyne is great for sure but I also agree that the lows can get boomy. I'm SO thankful that my guitar pickups all have a low frequency rolloff because it makes things work so much better!! I LOVE the amp over all. Everything about it is perfect tonally. My only real issue is how picky it is with which cabs it co-operates with and which cabs it does not. At any rate, it is best not to dwell on those details because it is SOO much fun to play. In all honesty, I swap between the 'Dyne and the Recto, depending on my mood. For now, I like options ;)

Latest posts

Back