Before ya' all did the Reeder Mod, did you try..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Before ya' all did the Reeder Mod, did you try replacing any or all of those high gain tubes that are typically found in a Mesa LSC/LSS? Or did any of you try a speaker swap???

Jared Purdy said:
Before ya' all did the Reeder Mod, did you try replacing any or all of those high gain tubes that are typically found in a Mesa LSC/LSS? Or did any of you try a speaker swap???

No and here's why, for me anyway. The mod was cheaper, could be reversed if the result wasn't satisfactory, and once done I didn't have a reason to do anything else.

Had the mod not worked out I would have gone to other things.

As it is I love the mod.

Jared Purdy said:
Yes. And yes. The results varied from very subtle to, well, a nice improvement but not nearly enough to get where the mod goes. The mod changes things significantly.

The tube swap that did some good things for me was to put a JAN 5751 in V2. Smoothed things out very nicely. I also like the Mullard new production 12ax7 in that spot as well. But that 5751 is there to stay.

The one thing that I did NOT try first was to upgrade some of the parts on my guitars that have improved THEM quite a bit -- electronics, and especially bridge parts in my Fenders. Sometimes I wonder if that would have made enough of a difference that I might have left my amp alone.

Probably not.

Like djw said. Nothin but nothin was gonna do it. At least for me. If you read the original mod thread from a couple of years ago, you'll see some guys actually like ch 2 just the way it is. The minority I presume.

djw, thats interesting what you say about the new issue mullard 12ax7. I happen to have one. But in V2, and not V1? Please explain, I've heard that v1 affects the tone the most. I was going to try that mullard first before ordering a 5751, as they are $30. As an aside, how do you remove the metal sleeves over the 12ax7s?

plan-x, I did read the original thread, all 24 pages of it! I'm not finished with channel 2 yet! Yesterday I basicaly had the whole day to jam, as it's the end of the semester, and no one was home (bliss!), so I played loud, and tweaked the controls, and I do like it the way it is. I don't think that I want a clone of channel 1, that's one of the reasons why I bought the LSS, I already have a one channel amp in the PRRI. I'm going to try the tube thinbg first (both the mullard and the 5751). I'm realy not happy to have learnt from Mesa that those tubes are JJs, which are a modern sounding high gain tube. I briefdly tried trhem in the power section off my PRRI before dumpingf them for a full set of Tung Sols, a much nicer, warmer sounding tube.

If you have a chance, go to www.thetubestore.com and have a look at the "premium" tube set recommendation they have for the LSS, I think they are Jan Phillips, with a Sovtek rectifier tube. At $365, it a rather pricey swap for a full set.

I did the mods and undid them pretty quickly. I run the LSC through a 212 cab with V30's.
I dont like the sound of the combo or the c90's. I think its Mesa combo's in general I dont seem to like. Maybe all combo's. Im not so sure a speaker swap in a combo would do much for me. Ive tried it on a few combo's and its never done much to correct what I was trying to fix.
I dont really use the amp at home unless I'm having a bit of a tweak or recording some ideas. The only time I use the amp is in a band mix. The gain channel seems to meet my needs exactly as I thought it would in that situation.
I also dont really want the two channels to be to much the same.
I didn't find swapping tubes out made a huge difference. Not as big as a different cab and speakers.
While I had the mod's in place I eventually came to understand why some might like it. At first I thought it was a terrible thing to do to the amp and couldnt understand the appeal of the mods. A bit of tweaking and I could sort of understand why some were pleased with the difference.
Im in the middle of undoing all the mods on a Fender DeVille that some one had done. I think they found every mod on the web and did it to this amp. Every mod I undo seems to bring this amp to life for me. Again even though its had its speakers swap it still sounds better through the 212 cabs I have.
I also modded and then put back to stock another Fender I have. Again others were raving about the mods so I thought I would try them. Not for me. But interesting to try.
I only mention this so you can get the idea that I am generally pretty happy with any amp as it is.

I did bias my LS and I think that is a worthwhile mod to do to this amp. Gets rid of some of the fizz I disliked in it.

I may have a weird sense of what a good sound is so my results might be different to yours.

lostcause said:
I did the mods and undid them pretty quickly. I run the LSC through a 212 cab with V30's.
I dont like the sound of the combo or the c90's. I think its Mesa combo's in general I dont seem to like. Maybe all combo's. Im not so sure a speaker swap in a combo would do much for me. Ive tried it on a few combo's and its never done much to correct what I was trying to fix.
I dont really use the amp at home unless I'm having a bit of a tweak or recording some ideas. The only time I use the amp is in a band mix. The gain channel seems to meet my needs exactly as I thought it would in that situation.
I didn't find swapping tubes out made a huge difference. Not as big as a different cab and speakers.
While I had the mod's in place I eventually came to understand why some might like it. At first I thought it was a terrible thing to do to the amp and couldnt understand the appeal of the mods. A bit of tweaking and I could sort of understand why some were pleased with the difference.
Im in the middle of undoing all the mods on a Fender DeVille that some one had done. I think they found every mod on the web and did it to this amp. Every mod I undo seems to bring this amp to life for me. Again even though its had its speakers swap it still sounds better through the 212 cabs I have.
I also modded and then put back to stock another Fender I have. Again others were raving about the mods so I thought I would try them. Not for me. But interesting to try.
I only mention this so you can get the idea that I am generally pretty happy with any amp as it is.

I did bias my LS and I think that is a worthwhile mod to do to this amp. Gets rid of some of the fizz I disliked in it.

I may have a weird sense of what a good sound is so my results might be different to yours.

How did you rebias it? I mean, what was the setting, hotter, colder?? I tend to agree with you with regards to not modding it. I'm more inclined to play with tubes, and maybe a speaker, though at this point, I'm going to leave the speaker alone as the only one that I would put in there woudl be a Celestion G12 Gold alNicio, and I've only had the amp for about three weeks, so the speaker is probably not even broken in (and the G12 Gold is $360 in Toronto!).

For practical reasons, I'm drawn to combos: I don't play in a band, and my wife lets me keep my amp(s) in the dinning room on the main floor. A head and cab take up too much space. Besides though, I really like the sound of the LSS and other combos I've tried, and still have. I did a number of mods to my Fender PRRI and they definately worked, such that I would never undo any of them (changed all of the stock GTs for Tung Sols, put a lower gain 12AY7 in V1, put in a Celestion G10 Gold alNico and replaced the PB front baffle for birch ply). It is possible, and likely, that not all amps will repsond in a way that is desired by changing tubes or speakers. I can't help but think that replacing the MB EL84s and the 12AX7s with Tung Sols would change the sound for the better. Mesa is using JJs right now, a very modern, high gain type of tube, quite unlike the warmth and rounded sound produced by Tung Sols.

I'm going to sticj Mullard 12AX7 into V1 and then into V2 today (the V2 thing strikes me as odd, but one other poster above said he tried in V2, and liked the results alot, but then went further and put 5751 in V2 instead)

Jared Purdy said:
lostcause said:

How did you rebias it? I mean, what was the setting, hotter, colder?? I tend to agree with you with regards to not modding it. I'm more inclined to play with tubes, and maybe a speaker, though at this point, I'm going to leave the speaker alone as the only one that I would put in there woudl be a Celestion G12 Gold alNicio, and I've only had the amp for about three weeks, so the speaker is probably not even broken in (and the G12 Gold is $360 in Toronto!).

For practical reasons, I'm drawn to combos: I don't play in a band, and my wife lets me keep my amp(s) in the dinning room on the main floor. A head and cab take up too much space. Besides though, I really like the sound of the LSS and other combos I've tried, and still have. I did a number of mods to my Fender PRRI and they definately worked, such that I would never undo any of them (changed all of the stock GTs for Tung Sols, put a lower gain 12AY7 in V1, put in a Celestion G10 Gold alNico and replaced the PB front baffle for birch ply). It is possible, and likely, that not all amps will repsond in a way that is desired by changing tubes or speakers. I can't help but think that replacing the MB EL84s and the 12AX7s with Tung Sols would change the sound for the better. Mesa is using JJs right now, a very modern, high gain type of tube, quite unlike the warmth and rounded sound produced by Tung Sols.

I'm going to sticj Mullard 12AX7 into V1 and then into V2 today (the V2 thing strikes me as odd, but one other poster above said he tried in V2, and liked the results alot, but then went further and put 5751 in V2 instead)
I have the LSC not the LSS. There is no need for biasing the LSS.
I biased it warmer than Mesa's very cool spec. Again not a huge tone difference but I have stopped trying to dial out some harsh fizz I didnt like with the treble and presence control's. Its not there as much to worry about. I can now set the tone control's more to where I want them. Over all not a huge thing. But I like the clarity and feel that I have now a bit more

A 212 cab doesnt take up much more space than a 212 combo. Also two lighter lifts is better for me than one big one.

Straight up, I dont even know what tubes are in any of my amps. I do know that I ripped all the GT's out of my Eganter TM and replaced them with what ever I could find lying around. Smoothed that amp right out. Seems like I dont like GT's. Thats all I know about tubes. Dont want to know too much more. My playing sucks and I need to work on that more than i do swapping tubes. :oops: :D

lostcause said:
Jared Purdy said:
lostcause said:

I have the LSC not the LSS. There is no need for biasing the LSS.
I biased it warmer than Mesa's very cool spec. Again not a huge tone difference but I have stopped trying to dial out some harsh fizz I didnt like with the treble and presence control's. Its not there as much to worry about. I can now set the tone control's more to where I want them. Over all not a huge thing. But I like the clarity and feel that I have now a bit more

A 212 cab doesnt take up much more space than a 212 combo. Also two lighter lifts is better for me than one big one.

Straight up, I dont even know what tubes are in any of my amps. I do know that I ripped all the GT's out of my Eganter TM and replaced them with what ever I could find lying around. Smoothed that amp right out. Seems like I dont like GT's. Thats all I know about tubes. Dont want to know too much more. My playing sucks and I need to work on that more than i do swapping tubes. :oops: :D

That's hillarius! If I was thinking that I wanted to play with a band, on a stage, then I would have to say the same about my own playing! However, within the realm of my house, and according to my friends and neighbours who hear me often, since I started taking lessons last year, I've improved! I'm going to stick with that as motivation in the future! I too don't have any use GTs. They sounded awful in my PRRI, and when I A/B'd my modded PRRI at a local stre, next to their stock PRRI, and a vintage original 1965 PR, we all agreed that mine left both of trhem in the dust. That has left me sold on Tung Sols, as modern, though close approximate to NOS tubes, at a fraction of the cost.

Jared Purdy said:
djw, thats interesting what you say about the new issue mullard 12ax7. I happen to have one. But in V2, and not V1? Please explain, I've heard that v1 affects the tone the most. I was going to try that mullard first before ordering a 5751, as they are $30. As an aside, how do you remove the metal sleeves over the 12ax7s?
Dang, now that you mention it I might be confused (no I'm not -- read on). I know that I have a 5751 in there, and I am pretty sure it replaced the Mullard (and I know this because the Mullard is currently smoothing out V1 in my Tweaker!) Usually lower gain preamp tubes like 12AT7s and 5751s are recommended for V5. But I'm pretty sure I have a 12AT7 (or the equivalent) in V5, and my 5751 is in V2. The rationale being, as you probably know, that with lower gain earlier in the amp stages you can get the power amp to work a little more. You lose a bit in terms of overall gain, but the tradeoff is well worth it if you like a smooth lower gain thing.

This was another suggestion of Charles', by the way. He has done a lot of experimenting with tube combination and this is one that worked for me. As to why V2 and not V1, I actually can't say why this works. I'll guess it has to do with the way the cascading gain structure works, and V1 and V2's interaction together.

...and now that I do some researching in my inbox, I see that for me this all started with Doug's Tubes' rec (in 2008, anyway) for LSC preamp tubes, which looks like this:

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue
V2 - Mullard reissue
V3 - Penta Labs
V4 - Shuguang 9th gen
V5 - Sovtek LPS

So in my amp, V1, V3 and V4 are as listed above, and the 5751 is in V2. I can't remember whether I still have that Sovtek in V5 or not, but it's either that or a 12AT7 of some sort. Anyway like I said, the Mullard sounded great in V2 too. Both are warmer/smoother/better than the stock tubes. I found the slight drop in preamp gain to be a real plus for me.

As for getting the covers off those tubes, you push the cover in and turn like you're unscrewing it, and it pops out. There are two little flange/notches that guide you back in when replacing (push in and screw it back on ~1/2 turn). Just be sure the spring inside goes around the little tip of the tube, and not off to the side.

That's great info, thanks for that. I think I'll drop Charles a message and see what he has to say about tubes for the LSS, if he knows. And Doug Tubes? Not familiar with that one, but I'll do a google. I was speaking to a tech at a local music store and asked him about the V2 thing, and he said it is likely recommened for V2 as V2 probably controls the 2nd channel (V1 for the first channel). That makes sense to me, whether or not it is true, I hve no idea! I have a brand new Mullard 12AX7, I think I'll pop it in V2 right now and see what it does. I'll keep you posted.
Jared

Well, I just popped a Mullard 12AX7 into V2, and, I'm not sure if I can tell the difference. I was thinking maybe a touch less "hair" at the end of a chord in 2nd channel, but it's hard to say. I went back and forth three times: first the MB tube, then the Mullard, then the MB, then the Mullard. I left the Mullard in just to give it some time. One thing's for certain, the Mullard tube weighs quite a bit more than the MB tube.

Busy day on the board. :)

I will say that swapping the whole lot of the preamp tubes made a noticeable difference. A single tube is probably going to be pretty subtle for sure. I doubt there's all that much less gain in the Mullard than what was already in there (though I have nothing to base that assertion on, really). I do notice less fizz in my Tweaker since I put the Mullard in there, though... that was unmistakeable. But the LS is a much more complex beast, and has 2 more preamp tubes in there. More going on. And don't forget, a lot of tube differences can be more easily discerned when you have some volume going.

Apropo of almost nothing, but since we're on here, I've been getting ready for a gig tonight, and I think I landed on a really good tube complement: a pair of SED =C= 6L6GCs in the outer sockets, along with the Mesas the amp came with in the inners and the preamp tubes I mentioned above. It sounds *so* good right now... so good that I had to do a clip. I just posted this on the youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w6aiwQyoHY

I remember being able to play guitar once, now I just fool around with amps. But still, I think this sounds amazing. My LSC honeymoon keeps on going....

djw said:

I will say that swapping the whole lot of the preamp tubes made a noticeable difference. A single tube is probably going to be pretty subtle for sure. I doubt there's all that much less gain in the Mullard than what was already in there (though I have nothing to base that assertion on, really). I do notice less fizz in my Tweaker since I put the Mullard in there, though... that was unmistakeable. But the LS is a much more complex beast, and has 2 more preamp tubes in there. More going on. And don't forget, a lot of tube differences can be more easily discerned when you have some volume going.

Apropo of almost nothing, but since we're on here, I've been getting ready for a gig tonight, and I think I landed on a really good tube complement: a pair of SED =C= 6L6GCs in the outer sockets, along with the Mesas the amp came with in the inners and the preamp tubes I mentioned above. It sounds *so* good right now... so good that I had to do a clip. I just posted this on the youtubes:

I remember being able to play guitar once, now I just fool around with amps. But still, I think this sounds amazing. My LSC honeymoon keeps on going....

I'd hardly call that "noodling". I wish I could play that well! Your amp sounds fantastic. I have a good stereo system on my computer (Bose), so your clip came out loud and clear. Did you do the Reeder Mod? BTW, I put the MB tube back in, and my ears think that it sounds better. I think that I'm just going to bite the bullet and by a set of 12AX7 Tung Sols and EL84 Mullards, along with a Jan Phillips 5751. If I don't like it, it's always good to have a spare set of tubes around anyways. I'd love to hear a LSS with that tube compliment. At this point, it's just experimenting.

Jared Purdy said:
djw said:

I'd hardly call that "noodling". I wish I could play that well! Your amp sounds fantastic. I have a good stereo system on my computer (Bose), so your clip came out loud and clear. Did you do the Reeder Mod? BTW, I put the MB tube back in, and my ears think that it sounds better. I think that I'm just going to bite the bullet and by a set of 12AX7 Tung Sols and EL84 Mullards, along with a Jan Phillips 5751. If I don't like it, it's always good to have a spare set of tubes around anyways. I'd love to hear a LSS with that tube compliment. At this point, it's just experimenting.

Indeed, I was an early adopter of the Reeder mods (I wrote the stickies for mods #1 & 2). I'm glad I did them both (mod 2 just on ch2). The thing about them is that they maintain major thickness -- I mean, the tone is still just chewy and meaty, but the mid hump is gone. You can sort of hear it in the clip (even with the crappy camera mic compression) -- that's a STRAT, albeit a fairly beefy-sounding one, but still basically with single-coils and easily the most cutting of my guitars. And the girth on single-note soloing on the bridge pup is huge.... but the mod cleans up the muck and opens up the harmonics up top.

Thanks for the complement, we're all full of our own surprises. :)

djw said:
Jared Purdy said:
djw said:

Indeed, I was an early adopter of the Reeder mods (I wrote the stickies for mods #1 & 2). I'm glad I did them both (mod 2 just on ch2). The thing about them is that they maintain major thickness -- I mean, the tone is still just chewy and meaty, but the mid hump is gone. You can sort of hear it in the clip (even with the crappy camera mic compression) -- that's a STRAT, albeit a fairly beefy-sounding one, but still basically with single-coils and easily the most cutting of my guitars. And the girth on single-note soloing on the bridge pup is huge.... but the mod cleans up the muck and opens up the harmonics up top.

Thanks for the complement, we're all full of our own surprises. :)

I wonder what that tube compliment would do to my LSS? I may have to find out; I did the pot swap mod, you may have just convinced me to do the mid mod I'm not sure.

It sounds really good though through my Altec Lansing speakers.

All right, I'm going to give the Reeder mod ago. What the hell, if I don't like it, I can always put it back. It's more out of curiousity because I think that I've pretty well found the settings on channel two that really like, but as we know, hearing is believing, and it's an easily reversible mod. BTW, where is that 5th screw?

Latest posts

Back