Bedrock 651 1/12 due to arrive soon!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

212Mavguy

Reaction score
I saw a screaming deal on eBay and could not resist the GAS reflex...two channels, reverb, 4 el84's, 3 12ax7's, 50 watts. Bedrock amps were made for a few years by musicians in the Boston area. For a short period of time they were used by Aerosmith. They are typified by using oversized transformers, using printed circuit boards as well as some PTP wiring, they have a reputation for excellent tones. The one I am getting was used less than 50 hours for the 13 years the owner had it in a studio. The only flies in th ointment are shared tone controls between the two channels and the lack of a footswitch,

I'm gonna have to build one unless someone has the specific footswitch for that amp for sale!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Beautiful dreamer, dream unto me..!

...ordered a new footswitch from the Switch Doctor on eBay. The amp itself arrived yesterday and ll was not well...at first fireup it immediately began making some hugely loud static-y noises like it was going to blow up, so I put it on standby and turned the volume down. The amp had been rarly used in the 13 years the previous owner had it...maybe 50 hours total, now with the volume down I tried it again, the noise cleared up after a bit and I started to play through it, everything seemed normal except there was no reverb...so I decided a teardown was in order. What I found was pretty interesting...

There were three dead pill bugs covered in spider webbing rolling around freely on top of the printed circuit board! It needed debugging in the truest sense of the word! So I turned the amp upside down and shook the little buggers out, and blew some of my personal hot air :p from my lungs in order to hopefully remove any other stowaways and what I hoped would be any dust out from under the PCB, and set the chassis down and decided to remove the reverb tank.

In it I found two multi stranded wires that had broken off at the solder joints on the send side! So I used some solder removal braid to get the excess solder off the tabs and expose a hole in each, stripped a small bit off each wire and resoldered them. Put the whole thing back together and it ROARED!

Bedrock used transformers routinely that were double the required spec for power and output, so the amp was quite capable of getting very, very loud, Mesa loud! It had what appeared to be an Eminence ceramic speaker with the Bedrock name on the sticker rated for 100 watts. The tones were awesome, tight, and the effects loop added a huge amount of easily adjustable gain to both channels as an added benefit, the sound that came out was all about 80's and 90's rock, enough gain for metal tones, i was astounded how such great tones could come out of an amp that had sovtek 12ax7's and sovtek el84's. I think that despite the oversized iron that the whole thing weighed maybe 30-35 pounds, so I now have a relatively lightweight grab and go amp that would keep up with any band's stage volume and then some as well as work perfectly in a quiet room thanks to a well designed master volume circuit, gain settings are preserved at low folumes for the dirty channel. Next step is to use a bias tool and determine what setting the stock sovtek power tubes use and roll some vintage Mullards, RFT, JAN Sylvanias, and 6p14p-ev Russian mil stock to see what will sound the best and also to test the phase inverter for matched triodes and look for some stuff out of my vintage old stock stash for the preamp. This is going to be a really fun, rewarding project! And yes, I'm going to get a cover for that amp!

An update...

The Switch Doctor footswitch arrived, looks to be about as durable as a Mesa footswitch and worked perfectly.

I just finished the retube/revoicing last night, used a two socket bias tool to measure plate current draw, had ten VOS Mullard el84's, a bunch of RFT's, and also a bunch of Sylvania's to choose from. Settled on a quad of Mullards, they worked at the same bias setting the Sovteks were using. With them in I was shocked at both the detailed clarity and harmonic content at the same time. That amp is VERY tight and punchy on the clean channel, also very tight dirty, I had all 3 positions in the preamp filled with Euro 12ax7's, v1 Siemens shortplate, v2 Mullard shortplate, PI was Amperex BB shortplate. Decided that three vintage Philips family shortplates in a row was causing too much of the punchy big bottom/mids, so I yanked the Mullard out of v2, stuck the Siemens in there, and put a Telefunken ribbed plate 12ax7 in v1, more compression/sustain, very articulate upper mids and top end , great control over harmonics in the dirty, does the violin sustain thang at higher gain like very few can. Now it's just right. I named that amp "Bamm-Bamm!" Quite appropriate for the sound and the Bedrock brand as well!

Same type of thing as my friend's 1/12 Mesa Maverick, big sound in a small box, 4 el84's, but the Bedrock weighs a lot less, smaller in size, possibly louder, ( :shock: ) trannys are bigger, particularly the OT. Mav is more liquid and smooth, gots blues tones to die for out the ***, the Bedrock has little blues tone in it's soul, but it rocks with the very best of the 80's-90's. Has enough gain for metal, can do the mid scoop thang VERY well too.

Might run a cable from the slave out of my Mav into the BR's fx return for giggles sometime, the Mav preamp has separate tone controls for each channel, Bamm-Bamm's are shared. Mav preamp is very smooth and liquid-y compared to the BR, and a better reverb. BR has separate pots for FX loop in and out, they offer a huge boost to both preamp channels even with no FX plugged in, and there is a bypass switch for that loop as well. It's a small sized grab and go sleeper amp that has no problems keeping up with very loud stage volumes and definitely lives up to the company motto: "The tone that kills."

Bamm! Bamm! Bamm!

:mrgreen:

That's friggin cool man! Never played a Bedrock. Always awesome when an new
amp comes around for you. I bought a VHT/Fryette Amplification 50/12 2X12 combo
about a month ago. It was difficult getting it dialed in. But replacing the preamp
board's JJ's with RCA 12ax7's and a Mullard CV4024 in the PI slot smoothed out that
lead channel and now it sounds awesome! I have a bias rite on the way and am replacing
the JJ EL34L's with some =C='s or I might go big and get some NOS Seimens 450's.
Glad that Bedrock is workin out for ya!

Nice score man. Our new bass player brought some of his personal gear to some of our band practices and he happened to have a Bedrock (not sure what model) 1x12" combo that he just raved about. I'd never heard of them before and wasn't surprised as he said they were pretty rare now. He had swapped out the speaker and let me try it. Best that I can describe was that it had TONS of mids, but I'm not sure if that was due to the speaker swap or the amp itself. What do you think? My Roadster is very dark compared to that Bedrock. I don't think I would say it has a Marshall sound as it is very distinct in and of itself. Never heard an amp sound like it. Definitely a beast.

Mine has a lot of presence and a lot of bottom, it has the stock speaker. Hard to believe that it is only a 1/12, it's that fat sounding. I run the bass knob at 10:00. There is a switch for the bottom end that says normal/loose, has a switch for the top end that says normal/tight. It cuts through the mix like a chainsaw on nitro... :eek: I was messing around with it last night, it was a blast! And yes it is definitlely beastly, shockingly so for an amp its size. That is what makes it so fun to play through, it has a lot of jaw drop factor!

congrats, 212mavguy! sounds like a cool amp. 50w out of an el84 quad? jeez.

i've seen a few bedrock amps around here (i live near boston, actually they were located right down the road from where i'm working now!) but really not that many. i don't think they made a ton. good score!

check it out if you haven't already: http://bedrock27.tripod.com/

Shred, I paid 550 plus 110 for shipping from Canada. Lyman, I have seen that page, and thanks for the link. Fired it up again tonight after work, let it warm up while I was soaking in a hot bath while having a Grolsch followed by an Optimator, wuz listening to the blues channel on Comcast. Got up out of the tub, toweled off, plugged in my Heritage 555 into that thing, played along with the channel and tore my face off.

BAMM! BAMM! BAMM! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Latest posts

Back