BB Preamp with a Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebjammin

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I've been tempted to buy a BB Preamp to replace my TS-9. I've heard how Boogie users use the BB to help tighten up their gain sounds as well as add sustain to their leads. I was mainly thinking about using the BB with the tweed and crunch mode on the Mark V. I used a BB Preamp in the studio a few years back and really liked the very tube like overdrive it produces. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a BB Preamp with their Mark V and how they like it. Thanks.

I was planning on running one in front of my FullDrive2-mosfet at one point. Then I realized I barely use the FD2, not like I need yet another boost.

It's pretty simple though: if you like the BB Preamp, you will probably like it into the Mark V. When I was considering it, I read plenty of reviews from Mark V users, all very positive.

My BB stays on almost all of the time. Usually gain at about 9 oclock or less - adds fantastic color to ch. 1 and 2. Some insane singing tones with Mk I or Mk II modes. Love it. Sorta gives me a 5 channel amp with the differences it makes on ch1 and ch2. Don't use the tone controls too often. Low gain + vol at 3 or higher in 10W tweed mode is bonkers.

I've tried BB Preamp , Timmy , OCD, Keeley 808 TS, Keeley 4 knob compressor
and the BB does sound best to me for Mark V.
I use it on Tweed , Crunch , sometimes on MK II C+ but this mode doesn't really need it.
For that mode I sometimes use my Keeley 4 knob compressor.
Looks like I'm settling on 45 watts on all three channels and the BB
and Keeley compressor.

I've had a 1st gen BB preamp in my chain since the ice age. I'm one who barely uses effects or stomp boxes at all. I have the BB engaged only to get a little dirt on a clean ch1 on the Mark V [similar to andy timmons settings]. I also engage it (with same setting) in Mark I mode to get a little extra sing. It works wonders and certainly an essential purchase to enhance your Mark V. You won't regret it if you haven't already made a decision.

jmontgomery said:
I'm running a Mesa Flux Drive pedal into my V and really liking what I'm hearing.
+1. The Flux Drive is very similar to the BB Pre, which is my fav boost for my Roadster.

I really like MKI mode with the gain around 11:30, boosted with the Flux Drive (everything at 12:00). Really thumps a Vertical 2X12 with a generous EQ :twisted:

Dom

My bandmate had one of these and I tried it a couple of times during rehearsal and it was a good gain-booster box, very transparent. Boosting has never been my thing though. He traded in for a GT-OD just because it was transparent, he wanted a bit of colour.

Long story short - great transparent boost, if that's your thing.

haven't tried a BB, but I have a few pedals that i use as a boost (diy EP , dingotone HZD boost, diy OCD, and a modded tube screamer) and they all work great.

i love channel 2 edge mode with a boost. you still get that "urgency" but with a bit more saturation.

mkII c+ is great too.. roll back the gain and boost it and you get incredible amounts of clarity and articulation in your signal.

Latest posts

Back