are you serious?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I, too, have an amusing Guitar Hero related story. I wish I could have made this up, but alas, it's all too true.

A couple of years ago I took my first foray into teaching guitar for a living. I had one student who was actually doing pretty good for his first few weeks at guitar. Then his mother gets him Guitar Hero for Christmas. Pretty cool of mom. Fast forward a couple weeks and much frustration because my student's guitar skills, such as they were, were sliding downhill fast. Cue the angry mother with the "I feel like I'm wasting my money with these lessons!" attitude.

So I attempt to get to the root of the problem and mention that I suspect he's not practicing like he should.

And I bet you all know what's coming next right? Indeed, the mother enlightens me that he does all his practicing with Guitar Hero now and that he should be the most amazing player of all time by then.

I know, I know. It made me :cry: too.

I know it's a game. I have'nt tried it but is must be fun, seems every one has played it.

I heard on the radio the other day about the Beatles rock star game. It said it included a exact replica of a 1950's gretch. Now that stuff bugs me. By exact the mean what? Other than it's made of plastic, has no frets, was made by a child in China, oh.. it doesnt have string's. I should just let it go, I don't know why that bugged me so much. But it does.

thats what puzzles me, i could care less if people think GH makes them a musician, but the game just isnt fun. I dont get it, you push colored buttons in time with the screen, woah..I'll take fallout 3 over that anyday.

MesallicA said:
thats what puzzles me, i could care less if people think GH makes them a musician, but the game just isnt fun. I dont get it, you push colored buttons in time with the screen, woah..I'll take fallout 3 over that anyday.

now I definitely see your point. There are a lot cooler games out there. I owned one of the GH games and sold it after a month. It definitely got boring quick.

MesallicA said:

Well, playing only kinda sucks, but it's funny when you play it with your mates. Priceless facial expressions... :lol:

KH Guitar Freak said:
MesallicA said:

Well, playing only kinda sucks, but it's funny when you play it with your mates. Priceless facial expressions... :lol:

I like to get a bunch of people together and get sloshed and then try to play Dance Dance Revolution.

Guitar hero isn't that bad, I say this as I enjoy playing it. Fair enough I could go play my real guitar or whatever, but sometimes it is fun to just play this with a few friends and relax with beers. You all take life too serious if this upsets you, but honestly those guitars are WAY overpriced for what they are. You should just buy a real guitar instead.

Mauler said:
honestly those guitars are WAY overpriced for what they are. You should just buy a real guitar instead.

That's my main problem with the whole idea. It's a waste of wood and resources to make a FAKE guitar feel REAL.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
Mauler said:
honestly those guitars are WAY overpriced for what they are. You should just buy a real guitar instead.

That's my main problem with the whole idea. It's a waste of wood and resources to make a FAKE guitar feel REAL.

-AJH

Yeah, that's my issue with it too! Kinda like how people want a keyboard for Rock Band. I'm pretty sure you could get a real one for the same price...

this is sad..but the reason i play guitar now is because i picked up that guitar hero "guitar"..

ryjan said:
Boils down to instant gratification. Everyone wants to be a rock star but nobody can take the time to sit down and learn the chords. Kinda alien to me as all my friends seem to play an instrument of some form. So I'm used to jamming with the real thing when a couple buddies come over. I've played the game before and after playing a Mark IV, the little plastic controller and cheesy tone did very little for me.

All the tracks are Mark IV's :lol:

gplex said:
I will share a funny story.

A few weeks ago I was watching Sunday football at a friends house. It was a beer-a-thon type of deal. About 18 people. While waiting for the 9:00 game, we retreated to the basement. I put in a ZZ top cd and my buddy flipped on his EVH half stack, doing a good job at drunken riffing. I put in a Boston CD and did the same... although I had one too many, it was still really fun.
A friend said "let me try, I've been practicing". (I knew he meant I have been playing guitar hero video games.) So I gave him my les paul custom.
Upon sholdering it he said " what is this pos made of lead? What the F#@K." My hand was out streached with a pick in it. He said " I don't need a F##KIN pick"
He did his best rock star stance, raised his pick hand in the air, and did his best Pete Townshend pick swing. No noise was made. I pointed out the volume control.
Second try was feedback like you have not heard since you first picked up a guitar. He made a strange picking motion with his thumb and pushed the third fret with all of his fingers and stared at the guitar in dis-belief. He didn't get any that night.
Man, this might be funniest story in a long time; I laughed for 30 mins. non-stop. Really. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back