Anyone Voodoo Modded their Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
I heard the clips of the dual recto modded on voodoos website and the cleans sound friggin amazing. The high gain mode is very smooth as well but minus the bees.

Anybody had this done and have clips comparing them or know where i can listen to more?

Thinking about my rectoverb series 2 being done but he also recommends upgrading my output transformer.

I had a RV series 2 head with a 2X12 bottom. I had some correspondence with Trace about my amp. Now bear in mind my amp was only 9 months old. I had over 4 years of warranty left on it. He told me he could revoice the head but the bottom would have to go. His work is supposed to be absolutely excellent. But I was looking at "big bucks" and losing my warranty. So in my case it was actually cheaper to get rid of the amp and buy something set up with the sound that I wanted. Also, lets say something goes wrong with it a few years down the road. I wonder if you have to ship it to Voodoo since it no longer has the stock Mesa setup. Can a local shop work on it? (I myself never asked them the question)

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't really help you. I know how important the right "tone" is. Just get all of your costs together for doing the mod
and see if what you'll gain will be worth the expense. I'm on Long Island so Voodoo Amp is a 5 1/2 hr. ride from my house. I would have made an appt. with them. They would have done the mod for me that day. But even so, gas, tolls, travel time still cost money. So you also have to figure shipping into your cost.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying think about the whole picture and then make your decision. There may be upside but there may also be downside to a major mod to your amp. I was crying for a clean, bell like clean channel and a more defined high gain channel. That's why I contacted them. I liked my RV, I just didn't love it.

What ever you decide I really hope you find your tone.

Bob M.

old-guy (Bob M)

Did you end up selling the RV and if so what did you end up buying?

Modding is one of those things that everytime I talk to someone in the industry tells me to forget it as it de-values the amp considerably and you may never be able to sell it.

Also a few of the technicians I know seem to be removing mods on customers amps very regulary because they have stuffed the amp over time.

Sanchez

Modding is something that you should do to fine tune something you really like. If you don't really like it all that much to begin with you can almost guaruntee that you still won't love it after the mods.

Besides, if you don't like the bees, turn up the freakin' amp. The only time I have problems with bees is at low volumes.

I like the sound of my amp, and i really like the cleans, but when i heard the samples of his rectos cleans after the mod I wanted to **** myself!!!

It's the high gain i don't know about. If I want a marshall sound i'd just as well have a marshall alongside my rectoverb but it sounded really good.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Still on the search for anyone that has done the mod and hear their clips. :twisted:

screamingdaisy said:
Modding is something that you should do to fine tune something you really like. If you don't really like it all that much to begin with you can almost guaruntee that you still won't love it after the mods.

yup, but not the 5150. That amp can become stupid amazing once modified.

As far as the waranty thing goes with Mesa, I wouldnt worry too much about anything trace does. The man has an incredible reputation, he is just messing with the voicing and what not, its like he is swapping major components.

Sanchez,
I wound up trading the RV and cabinet in. I took a "bath" on it.
The mgr. at the store showed me his price sheet (cost). Unforunately Mesa lowered the price. However, the lose I took was less than the cost of the mod with new speakers.
I traded it in for the Lone Star Classic 1x12. The clean is crystal clear with a nice bell-like tone and after playing with channel 2 I found that adding a TS-9 I get what I call the "Santana" sound. Metal guys will probably deem this amp worthless. Classic rock, blues, country, jazz
guys will love it.
I think all of Mesa's amps are great. It's a matter of the player being sure of what they're looking for. The RV is a great amp but it was the wrong amp for me. That was MY SCREW-UP. Allot of times when someone buys the wrong amp they have a tendency to say the amp sucks, when in fact they just bought the "wrong amp".
After considering the options, I'm REAL GLAD that I found a stock amp that fully fits my needs without messing with it. Everybody's needs are different. And for sure, everybodys idea of "the perfect tone"
are different. A guy who had a mod done may "cream" every time he fires up his amp. In that case the mod was worth it and a "good thing."
This amp "as is" does that for me. After screwing up once if it didn't put the biggest smile on my face I wouldn't have bought it. The mistakes are just too expensive and I wasn't going to "settle" because then I'd just wind up selling it again and losing more $$$$$$$$.
Bottm line .................................. If it's not EXACTLY what you're looking for, DON'T BUY IT. There are so many great amps out there, all you have to do is take the time to find it. I wish I had taken my own advise last year.

Play Well!
Bob M.

old-guy said:
Metal guys will probably deem this amp worthless. Classic rock, blues, country, jazz
guys will love it.
I think all of Mesa's amps are great. It's a matter of the player being sure of what they're looking for. The RV is a great amp but it was the wrong amp for me. That was MY SCREW-UP. Allot of times when someone buys the wrong amp they have a tendency to say the amp sucks, when in fact they just bought the "wrong amp".

Im a metal guy, and I certainly wouldnt look to a lonestar for lead sounds, but for cleans its AMAZING! Metal guys need clean sounds too!

And as far as the rest of your post, I couldnt agree more.

I've been entertaining the thought of having Trace mod a Roadking :)Simply just making ch3 a bit sweeter for leads and ch4 a bit more tame in the high end. I do like the recto tone, but I'd love it more if I could have it a slightly refined.

MJ

good link, silver.

You are right. If I wanted to take my Marshall from the stock Marshall sound to a 15% better Marshall sound, then the Voodoo mod is perfect. It makes Marshalls sound the way they should. Of course, modding Marshalls has been done forever by everyone!

When I had Voodoo fix my LSC (replaced a screen grid resistor that was causing noise), I asked them about doing a little tonal change. They said that it would be very costly and cautioned me against it. It would have called for cutting the board to change the circuitry. I appreciated their forthright statements and honest approach to the work. What I wanted could have been done, but they said the LSC was not a mesa amp they would put a Voodoo mod on.

Sreamin' Daisy has it right - mod to tweek (better caps or power supplies), but to re-voice is not something I would do.

Any amp can be tweaked.

It's a shame that they only offered the one mod the the LSC. I'm sure that there are some easy, but sweet things that can be done to it to improve or change the tone.

That would explain why they all sound the same.

I talked to Trace years ago, before I started modding amps, about my 1st Dual Recto. I decided not to send it in because shipping from Hawaii to New York would have cost more than the amp mods.

Trace inadvertently caused me to go into business for myself. Nice guy on the phone.

Latest posts

Back