Anyone using an OD with their MV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, heres my deal. Been playing for over 20 years. Just got the New Mark V delivered. Plugged into my Mesa Recto 4x 12 cabinet. NO effects used at first, the amp really sounds thin to me, no matter what I do, Ive used Marshall jcms, and Mesa triple rectifiers, but to me, I was not impressed with this amp as far as thick warm distortion, ya the distortion is there but not even close to a triple rectifier, Eng, etc. Even Mark Morton from Lamb of God who uses Mark 4s stated in an interview he likes using wireless and another unit to give him slight more gain out of the amps for the rich metal distortion. I cant even get a good Van Halen, Petrucci, Satriani sound out of it. NO offense to you guys who think this head is great, good for blues, clean stuff etc, but in my opinion, unless you use major rack units like chorus, stereo and dual heads, I dont recommend this amp for Modern Rock/Metal. Sounds like Im playing thru a combo amp and Ive watched all the videos, forums, settings I can find for this head. Worked on tweeking it all day. For the money, you think channel 3 extreme would Sound way better, and Ive tried Les Pauls, Strats, Ibanez prestige with EMG's, my latest guitar EBMM Petrucci BFR thru the amp, none come close. I can get a better sound out of a Blackstar HT-5 then this head. I dont play drop tunning stuff all Eb. So now the end results? Well I put my Marshall Jackhammer Dist/Overdrive pedal in front of the head, using in the clean channel, now It sounds 10 times better thick Warm, not muddy (Distortion) I can get great Harmonics, Pinch harmonics and Nice sounding notes. But hey for 2grand? Im thinking about sending it back. Maybe its my cabinets but I have Mesa Recto and Marshall with V30's, I also run a Hardwire chorus and delay pedal thru the loop. Doesnt like the Chorus in the loop with Head Distortion, delay no problem. So good points are, Built like a tank, last a long time, good for classic sounds, blues, clean stuff but sounds like a cheap 10 inch combo amp to my ears. Sorry.

I use an ODC v.4 and a tube screamer, mostly for the "crunch" mode on channel 2. I use them for extra sustain and fatness when soloing, or to push the channel over the top for certain high-gain Marshall sounds. I find that with my pickup selection and two overdrives, I can get a the full range of Marshall sounds I'd want, everything from classic rock, AC/DC, to shred and metal.

I sometimes use the TS for solos on channel 3 as well.

I use a BB Preamp and also a Boss GE7 eq pedal in front (but not both together). The eq pedal can really give a lovely thick scouped tone which I've never gotten from any drive pedal. I used it to shape the tone pregain, not add gain but it does double as a clean boost on channel 1.

I also use a Suhr Riot pedal on the clean channel which sounds killer. Again, I don't need it as the gain on the Mark V is superb but its nice to have a bit of variety :D

nicoroy123 said:
4406cuda said:
I use a Fulltone OCD on channel one fat. It basically is like a fourth channel. I use it for a slight break up type of sound.

+1. I do exaclty the same with the OCD. A fourth channel and it works well with humbuckers.

+2!

Same here, sounds great with the fat channel, keep the drive to around 1-2 oclock though. Also use a ts-9 for some SRV-ness!

Latest posts

Back