anyone use an OD pedal with their stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkwachemis

Reaction score
I generally a plug straight into your amp kinda person.

But I'm interested in a tuberscreamer=like OD pedal for some reason. be it to use as a boost and such. anyone have any exp in OD pedals with their stiltettos? or are u satisfied with all the gain possiblities with your stiletto as is?

am absolutely satisfied - all drives are gaining as needed. for some reason i tried to line up two stiletto preamps - it works (carefully adjusted)

but why "overload" such a small tiny little amp? which style you use the stiletto for?

I got to try my personally modified SD-1 in front of a Stilletto Ace combo a few months back, and I have to say, I can't remember when I've heard a better high-gain modded Marshall type of sound. All my favorite 80's stuff just came flowing back.

i use an overdrive in from of my 2 channels recto and it is not to compare.
I play metal and would NEVER use a recto without an OD. But you have to use it correctly, don't use it to add distortion... First, back the gain off a little on the head and than start from there with these settings on the OD
gain= 0
tone = 75 to 100%
level = 75 to 100%
it will tighten the amp, it will also give more crunch and attack.

Most of the good heavy sound i've heard in my life are acheived this way. Even Mettalica use this trick and i could give you many other exemples of well known bands doing the same, peolple think they plug directly in the head but this is not true.

If you don't play heavy music than it's another story...

And you have to experiment with different OD, they don't sound the same at all. An EQ or clean boost will not do the same, i tried everything and an OD is the best way to go. You'll also need a noïse gate if you use an OD, without the gate you'll have problems controlling feed back.

I don't normally use an OD pedal on the dirty channels, but a light OD or treble booster on the Ace' Clean Crunch side is like getting a whole new amp.

There is so much gain to be had on the Stiletto that there is really no need for one. When I first purchased mine about Three or so weeks ago I tried the custom shop MXR GT-OD in front of it which seemed to color the tone of the amp. I did not like it. The MXR GT-OD sounded good on other amps though.
The Stiletto sounds great as is, just gobs of gain.

Dave~

Stiletto Deuce Stage II
Stiletto 2X12

Never on channel 2, sometimes I like using a light OD on the clean channel or a fuzz.

Maxon OD808 in front..Gain set to 0, with the Tone about 9 o'clock (adjustable to taste) and the Level around 12 noon. Will tighten up the sound and not color it hardly at all. I can't say good enough things about the Maxon.

hi

i was wondering if i can get more feedback about this.

for my distorted rhythm tones, I normally use the channel 2 'tite gain' mode. but if i go to a solo, I find that I'd like a bit more gain and thickness. using the 'solo' switch just boosts mainly volume. so, in this case, would and OD help my situation alot?

An OD like a TS808 should add a little gain and sustain. Not sure about "thickness" Stiletto's are voiced a little mid rangy so you lose a little "thickness" in bass response in the amps design.

I spent about a month borrowning different pedals from different buddies of mine.

Here's what I tried and what I found...
TS808 - By far the best of all I tried out. Tight,punchy,great sustain. Even without an e Bow I can do the intro to Loud Love pretty good. A true bypass hand wired pedal, really just enhances the amps natural distortion without sounding like your running an OD out front. Very transparent when the amp is cranked. No overt uncontrollable feedback. Great for a bluesy tone on the clean channel.

TS9DX - 4 modes of distortion including the original 808 chip sets, but not true bypass. Sounded good and 70 bucks cheaper than the TS808 but to my ears just wasn't didn't have the punch of the 808.

Boss - MZ-2 and Super Overdrive - They added great distortion to the clean channel but didn't like them paired with the hi gain distortion. Way to muddy for me.

Fulltone OCD - At first glance I thought I'd love it. Tru bypass, hand wired in Cali, similar price to the TS808. A little "trebly" for me and boy did it start to squeal as you cranked the amp. No adjustments of the nobs seemed to tame the feedback at cranked volumes.

I used to think you'd never need an OD on something Hi Gain. I run mine a lot now but do like to cut it off. I've been thinking of adding a Stiletto Duece or Mark IV to my rig. I think the TS808 would compliment either one.

I run an OCD version 3 in front of my deuce and it works great.
Believe it or not I wound up buying an Emma Reezafratzitz looking for another high gain flavor and this pedal by far has beat out many overdrives ive had, using it as an overdrive on top of my amps gain.
I never would have thought the reeza would work so good as an overdrive because normally I have found that pedals with a lot of available gain dont usually work well as overdrives. I only own the reeza and the OCD now and the reeza takes the cake.

I run a MXR ZW into my Stage I

It's a tiny bit noisy, but i'd love to hear anyone tell me the Stage I isnt tight enough or has too little gain after hearing my rig.

dmotisko said:
There is so much gain to be had on the Stiletto that there is really no need for one. When I first purchased mine about Three or so weeks ago I tried the custom shop MXR GT-OD in front of it which seemed to color the tone of the amp. I did not like it. The MXR GT-OD sounded good on other amps though.
The Stiletto sounds great as is, just gobs of gain.

Dave~

Stiletto Deuce Stage II
Stiletto 2X12

*UPDATE*

I traded in the MXR GT-OD for a Script Phase 90 (killer). I'm now currently using the Xotic Pedal line for overdrive. I am using the Xotic BB preamp with my clean channel for that nice Andy Timmons tone as well as the Xotic RC Booster on channel 2. I was amazed with the RC Booster, it is very transparent but adds thickness to your tone. The RC is a clean boost but with the gain nob turned all the way up it adds a tiny amount of grit just enough to thicken your tone naturally. The sound is amazing. The Xotic line of pedals match up nicely with the Stiletto Deuce Stage II.

Dave~

Stiletto Deuce Stage II
Stiletto 2X12 Cab

i have a stage ll and a bb preamp pedal i want to use to get that andy timmons tone ,what settings do you use on the amp and the pedal,if you dont mind helpin a brother out.im having a hard time figuring it out.

thanx mike

With the Ace I rock a OCD v.3 in 18volts with channel 1 crunch and it kills. Really good dynamics and fattens it up. Its not bad with feedback or squeling in this mode but in fluid drive it'll feedback. I use little gain on the pedal and gain maxed on channel 1. Obviously don't need a pedal with fluid drive. 18 volts is much better with the OCD also.

fbomb said:
i have a stage ll and a bb preamp pedal i want to use to get that andy timmons tone ,what settings do you use on the amp and the pedal,if you dont mind helpin a brother out.im having a hard time figuring it out.

thanx mike

You need to run the BB through your clean channel. Use your neck pickup and adjust the BB to match your volume and tone with the channel. Unity on my BB is 10:00 on the volume, treble dead center and bass is about 3:00. I then adjust the gain to about 10:30 to 11:00 and she falls right into place. The main importance is neck pickup through the clean channel and adjusting unity on your BB.

Dave~

Stiletto Deuce Stage II
Stiletto 2X12 Cab

Back