Anyone think a Stiletto Ace can't do JCM 800? (With clips)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was listening to these clips on a set of beats studio, so good quality. I can also tell the slight difference between the two, it is just that difference that leaves me short on any amp but a Marshall for the Marshall tone.

This is how I describe it, the Marshall sounds more congested, but in a good way and that is what I like and cant seem to get out of any other amp.

siggy14 said:
I was listening to these clips on a set of beats studio, so good quality. I can also tell the slight difference between the two, it is just that difference that leaves me short on any amp but a Marshall for the Marshall tone.

This is how I describe it, the Marshall sounds more congested, but in a good way and that is what I like and cant seem to get out of any other amp.

Something to remember.

I was not tweaking one to sound like the other. I simply dialed in both to taste. I could have got closer if I simply when back and forth trying to make the ace sound like the 800.

Regarding the Marshall tone, I would say what you said a bit differently. Instead of saying "a Marshall for the Marshall tone" I would say "a 2204 for 2204 tone". The ace will get you closer to the 2204 then any of the new Marshalls. DSL, TSL, JVM, Haze will not get you as close to the 2204 sound. The 2205 which caries the JCM 800 name will not get you as close to a 2204 as the ace will.

Not saying any of those are bad amps. Just saying for that tone, the 2204 tone, having played all those amps on numerous occasions, the Ace will get you closer to the 2204 tone then anything I have played that doesn't have a 2204 or 2203 in it's title.

Of course all of what I said is simply my opinion.

If you take the bright caps out of the amp it sounds a lot better I also hate the .1 cap Mesa likes to put in the nfb of all there amps. A lot of guys with 2204- 2203 marshals take the bright cap out on those marshals too. I have a stiletto and love it - these amps are a steal right now $700 used and can nail 2204-2203 marshal sound plus a lot more i also love the looks happy Mesa man :p

I have always had my eye on the Stiletto. The only issue I have had is that it sounds good only when cranked. I know in the OP's clip it is cranked - and it sounds very, very nice.

How does the Stiletto sound at much lower volumes (i.e., practice volumes)?

I know my Mark IV sounds wonderful when cranked, but also sounds pretty good at a much lower volume.

Is the Stiletto in this same camp?

Latest posts

Back