Anyone running a 2x12 that should be horizontal, vertical?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumminsix

Reaction score
I'm really thinking it is best for me to cutover to the new LSC and get a short head and 2x12 cab.

But my question is what will happen to the sound if I run it vertical vs. horizontal? The reason I am pondering is 2 fold #1 easier to hear if it's close behind me and #2 smaller footprint on a tight stage.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with turning a cab up on its end. I would just be careful of the tolex there. A 2x12 vertical gets the sound up off the floor better and does help with footprint for smaller stages. I have a friend that used to run her Marshall on top of a 2x12 that was turned vertical. It sounded just fine. It looked a little funny because the head was longer than the speaker cab was on top but it still sounded good.

Yes..

UtahFeb07002.jpg

I am using these with an F-100 head. Have found that a little bit of bass is lost, and that it is easier to hear at ear-level

Wow, awesome and thanks!!! BTW, do you think it would decrease the value or integrity of a 2x12 LS cab to put feet on the sides?

I think it would. Just fold a towel and lay it down before you lay the cab over. Don't get too big of a towel but just something that will provide enough cushion to prevent tearing up your cab.

Don't some of the Benz cabinets come with feet on the side already and different handle placement?

I have two Mesa 2x12's I don't use for this very reason - they take up a lot of space. They're MINT and sound awesome, but just sit in my studio all covered up. :oops: I wanted them for smaller shows, but just ended up getting a few TOV combos instead.

I guess one day I'll end up getting some vertical 2X12 recto cabs to replace them.

In the meantime - I just stick with two 4X12's.

Shouldn't be a problem, though I would protect the cab, as others have pointed out.

Back in the day, it was common to do this with the old horizontal 212 Bassman and Bandmaster cabs. And then of course, CBS went to the oversize cabs. I think those were for looks more than sound. Fender need bigger cabs to compete with the looks of the Vox Beatle and Marshall stacks that were taking over rock music.

I like to use a Mark III combo or a Mark IV combo on top of a Theile 112 cab. This is a small footprint, it produces gobs of bass, and projects really well--and gets the control panel of the Mark IV up where these old eyes can see them! LOL!

The 212 and 412 Halfback cabs are great too, because they have small footprints. The 212 is bigger than many 212s, but that bottom part is Theile-ported and those cabs will out-perform most 412s. The 412 Halfback is something like, one inch larger than a Twin Reverb cab.

I think that if I were to order a LSC or LSS, it would be the 112 combo, with a 112 extention. I like using my Maverick 212 with a 212 horizontal Recto. That's a gorgeous combination--the Recto adds a lot of bottom end thump, though it's too big for many of the small stages. The 112 plus an extension seems to be what works the best, and is the most practical and portable, for me.

Bill

I have a couple of Peavey MC212 cabs, which are vertical slant-front jobbies. They sound great, and look bigger than a 412 when 'pushed together to make a good one'. :)
On occasion, I have used one of these cabs on its side to spread the sound. This has been handy when I've done a three-piece gig on a small stage. As mentioned, the main concern is damage to the box, but no laws of physics are contravened, so go for it. :D

Thanks everyone! I've made up my mind, time to get the new LS!

Thanks again!!!

Now I hope I can get a good price for my LSC.

Okay, one more...

Would you trust the stability of this:
LSC 23" head
6U rack
2x12 LS cab placed vertically

So that would be stack one on top of the other.

Seems like a solid tower but what are your experiences?

I usually sit my 2x12 vertically so I can actually hear it. I agree you lose some bass this way but honestly I get so much bass out of my rig that losing some is great. I usually set my bass at 9 o'clock and I still get a little muddy even with the mids at about 1'oclock.

I am looking into having the sides of my amp diamond plated to save the tolex but honestly if the Tolex gets scuffed up I really don't mind too much. I bought the cabinet to use and not as a museum piece. I'll let you know how the plating works out......

strumminsix said:
Okay, one more...

Would you trust the stability of this:
LSC 23" head
6U rack

So that would be stack one on top of the other.

Seems like a solid tower but what are your experiences?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Afriend of mine used to run a full size Marshall head on top of a 2x12 on its side as you are desiring. Then she added her 4 space rack on top of the head. It looks precocious but it is ok so long as you are not having stage divers bump into it.

Why not put your cab the way it was designed to sit but on top of your rack and have the head sit on top of that? Or stack it sideways on top of the rack with the head on top? Or even turn your head on its end?

I saw Satch with his JSX turned on its end in a video. It looked cool.

strumminsix said:
Okay, one more...Would you trust the stability of this:
LSC 23" head
6U rack
So that would be stack one on top of the other. Seems like a solid tower but what are your experiences?
Personally I would NOT do it that way. It's to unstable, and sooner or later Murphy's Law would prevail.

Thanks all! Well looks like it's best not too.

I'm looking for the short head so that it wouldn't stick out.

The reason for running it like that was to save stage space and to hear myself easier.

000_0104.jpg

24" wide, slant front, oversized. These are available all year long on ebay. I paid $350, and changed out the V30's because I hated them (I heard V30's were crispy, so it was part of the budget). The top surface is not much more than 11" deep at the top of the cab's slant, however.

Brand new to the Boogie Board due to my recently purchasing a Studio 22 + (great little amp).

I'm pretty partial to small combos, but often run them or my bassman head through a 2x12 on bigger stages. No pic of the Studio 22 + yet, but here's how I set up my bassman rig:

BassmanTopHat.jpg

Sounds great to my ears (I can always turn up my bass a bit, but never really felt the need) and I too like the fac that I can hear it well and adjust it easity on stage.

Mike Landau used a horizontal 2x12 on it side at the gig he recently did at Tone Merchants with Kirk Fletcher. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it sounds good....

Back