Anyone run EVM(12L) speakers with a Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of running a 2x12 wit 12Ls and a 4x12 with v30s but I havnt been able to find any locally. I dont want to ship those buggers! I bet it sounds awesome with a dual though!

Looks like you get bumped up. I am currently using my standard (oversized) Recto cab with EVM12L Black Label fed by a new DR Roadster. :mrgreen: I have also compared that to a traditional sized 412 with the original V30's that came from the Recto cab. I prefer the EV with the Roadster. Also speaker preference for both of my Mark Series amps. The RA100, not so good, V30 much better for that amp.

I personally didn't like the EVM12l's. I didn't like the mids for some reason. I dislike v30's also though, so I'm weird, haha

I personally like the EVM12L black label speakers. It does take a while to break them in. Tight bass and crisp highs and almost neutral on the mids. V30 can sound honky (depending on the amp, awesome speaker for RA100 and the Mark IV kicks butt). However V30 with the Roadster or Mark V sounds dull or thin, almost muffled. EV black label on the other hand dishes out what goes in. I never gave the V30's a chance to break in. Even though my Recto cab is 14 years old, I never really used it until I got the Mark V head 2 years ago, did not like them very much with that amp in the oversized cabinet so I opted for something different: EV. With the Roadster, I could not imagine anything else to sound as good. At least I can run two 412's (one loaded with EV and the other with V30) which actually sounds good. I am willing to bet that a quad of Jensen Black Birds would sound killer. I am reluctant to spend any more but may consider it latter on.

If you want something without mids, perhaps Fane Studio 12L would be to your liking. This speaker must be pushed to really get the full punch (will not do well for bedroom level playing which is the reason why I pulled it out of my Mark IV and swapped in an EV.) I believe the cone has a doped paper material. Not bad with high gain, excellent bass and treble response but no push on the mids. Actually sounds great when mixed with V30 or EV. Right now I am using a Fane with EV for my Mark V rig and I am blown away with it.

Alnico speakers will have a similar tone to the V30 but will not be as honky (depends on voice coil diameter and cone material). I tried a WGS Black Hawk HP100, not bad at all, but by itself in the Mark IV, it would overheat. Sounded better in the Mark V (converted my head into a combo). Cleans never sounded better, even the high gain Mark IV or the pushed crunch mode sounded awesome. I took it out in favor of the EV for what I like to use the Mark V for. Having 4 of these in a 412 would be great. Jensen Black Bird would be a better choice since it can handle more power. Since ALNICO speakers loose their magnetism when the field strength of the coil is high enough it will take on a different character. It is not a permanent loss, just the nature of the beast.

As always, just like power and preamp tubes, speakers, or guitar, it is all subjective. In other words, EV is not for Everyone.

Latest posts

Back