Anyone remember the Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfinkel1966

Reaction score
I have had an Electra Dyne since October and just love it - I really dig all 3 modes. I thought my amp GAS had subsided for good - until I go into the local music store and find a pristine Heartbreaker combo selling for 700. This thing looks like it was never gigged - not a scratch on it. It sounded fantastic in ways totally different than the ED. The two channels, rectifier mode and power options all make for a really tempting package at that price. I was just wondering if any current ED owners have had any experience with the Heartbreaker and if so, what your thoughts are. Would YOU pull the trigger on it? Having 2 Mesa combos is not necessarily a bad thing - right?

Well you have a NEW Corvette in the garage....if you want to park a '98 Camaro Z28 next to it that's just fine...but you won't drive it very often!

You are so right my brother!

I went back a few times to play it, then played it side by side with the Electra Dyne. NO CONTEST!! The ED smokes the Heartbreaker hands down!! I was already falling victim to the constant knob twiddling with the Heartbreaker. It is a fine amp for sure, but nowhere close to the ED in terms of how amazing it makes any guitar sound. The other kicker is that is weighs even more than the ED and is a bit bulkier! Yikes...

I am new to the forum, but if no one minds, I'll weigh in on the Heartbreaker. It's true that its no ED, but it was created as a 25th anniversary commemorative of the Mark I (Love channel, that nails that tone very well) and the Lust channel, which is among Mesa's finest early attempts at a modded marshall thing when coaxed. Now I own one, and I paid a couple hundred more than the one being considered, (mine is also in pristine condition). I own several other Mesa's, including a 92' Mark IV, which is worth more than it was originally. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for $700 now, you may make a substantial purchase that could return a healthy profit in a few years.
It took me time to really dial in the tones I was after, but much easier if you really emphasize the mid control on either channel. It (mid knob) stops being a mid control after 10 o'clock and starts boosting gain, also using the boosts, fat and masculine/feminine switches all help to voice things. You should spend some time with it and keep in mind that like many boogies, subtle adjustments bring big changes in character and abandon the view of comparison with a more modern boogie and accept it for what it is; a fantastic piece of gear that is very usable and definitely cool.
Oh, about too many amps-they're like guitars, in that there is always room for one more. I have more than 10 different amps and use every one, it just depends on the gig and who's paying!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back