anyone get the VOODOO mod?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOOPJUNKIE

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting my road king voodoo modded? I don't even know if they will do a road king? any opinions upsides or downsides?

Yeah I really like it, but It has to be cranked to get rid of the fizzle. So I thought if I had that mod done maybe I didnt have to play so loud?

have you looked into a power attenuator instead of getting it moded? This way it isn't a permanent adjustment. Just a thought. I know they have gotten mixed opinions here.

Mod a Dual Rectifier or something, but not a Road King .. its is expensive, ..and it does NOT ADD MORE GAIN ..

if anything try and pickup a used voodoo modded amp, you may pay 100-200$ more for the modded amp, but thats alot less than the 680$ it costs's to mod .. and the RoadKing/Roadster in my opinion dopes not need the mod ..

ps I have a Marshall DSL100 with the deluxe mod, I am selling it for 900$ ..

I am not looking for more gain, I actually use very little I find the fizz starts to roll in about noon, unless playing full out. I was looking to get a little bit more clean channel and a little less fizz. But yeah I probally wont do the mod.

The mod's are going to be just like new tubes or speakers. Everyone is going to their own opinion because of personal taste and it will really only be up to you if that is what you want or not.

We had a modded JCM 800 in a local store and it sounded nothing like the clips they have on their site. I'm sure a modded DR would share the same fate. I would recommend not doing the mods.

OK guys I think that there is to much at stake and I wont do it. But if it worked and was better I would love it. Just to much can go wrong I wont do it.

Good choice. I have worked on a RK I and you better have one smart SOB before they even touch that amp. It took me a week just to absorb the schematic and it does not lay out exactly like it's drawn. So, to make a short story long, the pads can lift really easy from desoldering and there is no room for error with all the components on one board.

I will say that the best mod for the RK I is the RK II.

Voodoo Amps does not mod Roadkings, problem solved.

http://p218.ezboard.com/fvoodooampsbbsfrm3.showMessage?topicID=817.topic

http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods.html#Rectifier

And you might wanna do a little research regarding the Silano situation. Frank made himself known as a tech and has smeared Voodoo's name/reputation for awhile now. Nothing was done without his knowledge and Trace has the emails, screenshots, etc to prove it.

mJ

4nkam said:
And you might wanna do a little research regarding the Silano situation. Frank made himself known as a tech and has smeared Voodoo's name/reputation for awhile now. Nothing was done without his knowledge and Trace has the emails, screenshots, etc to prove it.

mJ

I heard about that, he was trying to reverse engineer the mod or something like that.

The only way to know is his mod's are any good is to hear from people who had their rectos modded. I've heard good things about modded rectos over at the Harmony-central forums.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1255978&highlight=voodoo

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1265804&highlight=voodoo

I am thinking about getting my road king voodoo modded? I don't even know if they will do a road king? any opinions upsides or downsides?

Hello Loopjunkie - As another gentleman was kind enough to point out, we do not offer to modify the Mesa Road Kings. I am sorry we could not be of help to you in that respect.

eah, ive heard bad things about the voodoo mods. snake oil etc...

I am not sure where or how snake-oil applies. While a few simple changes can yield a significant difference our modifications are much more in-depth than a few changes. Unfrotuantely, as the old saying goes, you cannot please everyone however that certainly does not stop us from trying.

We had a modded JCM 800 in a local store and it sounded nothing like the clips they have on their site. I'm sure a modded DR would share the same fate. I would recommend not doing the mods.

We offer several different JCM800 modifications, some of which are not listed on our sound clips page. We have also performed numerous custom modifications and naturally custom modifications are not listed on our sound clips page as each custom mod is on a case by case basis.

I will say that the best mod for the RK I is the RK II.

I fully agree

Have a great day guys
Trace

You might wanna look at this mess performed on a Soldano before modding anything by Voodoo--

As 4nkam stated, there is a great deal more to the story and Frank Silano conveniently left out to save face for himself.

1.) We have emails from Frank that are dated 6 months prior to him sending us his Soldano where he is asking us for tech-help regarding his Marshall Plexi that he himself had built. He also asked us about Dual Rectifiers and other high gain amps in that time period.
2.) Frank is a tech, admittedly (which is stated in his emails) he had already modded his Soldano before he sent it to us.
3.) We told him on several occasions (both on the phone as well as in emails) that we did not like to do work for other techs, as it is a conflict of interest. He repeatedly emailed and called us until I finally agreed to do the work.
4.) We told Frank on the phone as well as in several emails that we were going to epoxy our work and that was the only way we would agree to do the work for him. He agreed. We have *all* the email correspondence saved that clearly proves this.
5.) The amp arrived damaged (box was damaged, tubes were blown out of the amp, etc.)
6.) A UPS damage claim was filed. Frank received a damage claim.
7.) Frank went on every message board on the net and stated that we epoxied his amp without his knowledge (which is lie), he failed to mention that he was tech and more importantly that the amp was damaged.
8.) After several customers emailed and called us alerting us to the postings I personally phoned Frank on the phone. I spoke with Frank and gave him the opportunity to be honest and state *all* the facts as his story was horribly one sided. He flat out told me that he would not admit to the fact that he was made fully aware that we were going to epoxy his amp. As a result I was left with no other choice but to post the email replies, which clearly stated he had prior knowledge (several times). Once I posted the emails Frank stopped posting on HC few several months. That thread should be in the archives here on HC.
9.) When ever asked about this incident Frank repeatedly fails to mention all that facts as well as the fact that he *was awarded and damage claim by UPS.*We did everything humanly possible to help him, including offering to 2-day ship and amp for him to use until UPS settled the damage claim.

We have *all* the emails to prove everything that has been stated here. Whenever this comes up we have always offered to provide the emails and to talk with anyone who has concerns (shop line is 607-256-0465).

We will no longer do work for anyone who is a tech/DIY'er/Homebrewer, etc. We have always been more than happy to lend tech advice, provide schematics, etc. We get a great deal of calls from DIY'ers and we are always happy to help in any way we can (we have never charged anyone for this).

Just so it's clear: We do not epoxy amps. It is clearly stated in the top right hand corner of nearly all the mod-pages on our website and had been there for several years now.

Hope it helps
Trace

Welcome aboard, Trace!

To the original poster, let me tell ya, Trace is a stand-up guy. Quality workmanship, and the mods do what they are supposed to do. That said, after several emails back and forth with Voodoo, I (we) decided NOT to mod my Triple. I was really on the fence about this, and Trace could have easily taken my $600, but he actually seemed to care more that I was happy with the amp. Its a rare thing indeed to find an ethical businessman today. If/when I do decide to mod, its a no-brainer as to who's gonna get the job.

*Trace*...stick around. We actually talk about amplifiers here!

Welcome aboard, Trace!

Many thanks and I greatly appreciate it (truly).

To the original poster, let me tell ya, Trace is a stand-up guy. Quality workmanship, and the mods do what they are supposed to do. That said, after several emails back and forth with Voodoo, I (we) decided NOT to mod my Triple. I was really on the fence about this, and Trace could have easily taken my $600, but he actually seemed to care more that I was happy with the amp. Its a rare thing indeed to find an ethical businessman today. If/when I do decide to mod, its a no-brainer as to who's gonna get the job.

If we do not feel we can get you what you are looking for then we will be honest and let you know. It does not serve our best interests (or anyone's) to take your money and leave you unhappy. Simply put; we want happy customers, not unhappy customers.

*Trace*...stick around. We actually talk about amplifiers here!

I would love to be of help in any way that I can and I will stop by as much as time allows. Again many thanks for the warm welcome and the overly kind words. I hope everyone is having a great day!

Thanks again
Trace

Latest posts

Back