Anybody using a Mk. III for 80's metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodspoint

Reaction score
My new to me green stripe combo does great clean, great "classic rock" on Rhythm II, and searing leads on the lead mode. I'm looking for a slightly crunchier sound than Rhythm II, but want to keep lead open for... leads. I was thinking a pedal into R2. Anybody doing this to achieve this kid of sound - RATT, Dokken, etc., and if so, what are you using?

Thanks,

Sean

There are a lot of threads on boosting the Mark Iv's Rhy2 channel, I presume it will work for the Mark III as wel :)

LOTS of pedals out there, try everything.

I have a TS808, but also like Fulltone OCD, and Blackstar Drive.

Literally go to the store with your amp (if poss, if not poss, do the old buy and return deeley) and try em out.

hell ya!
This is why i bought the mark III.

I dont boost r2 but i cut the lead channel by using a mxr 10band to scoop the mids and give it a little volume drop. plus i give it a bit more gain.

Then switch it off and boom instant liquid smooth solo tone.

80s metal ftw :!:

AustinK said:
hell ya!
This is why i bought the mark III.

I dont boost r2 but i cut the lead channel by using a mxr 10band to scoop the mids and give it a little volume drop. plus i give it a bit more gain.

Then switch it off and boom instant liquid smooth solo tone.

80s metal ftw :!:

The lead mode has more than enough to solo with, but the R2 mode is just a hair under the amount of drive I want for rhtythm. The question, I guess is which approach works best:

- Add a boost to R2, so I can use that for Rhythm and switch to Lead for solos, or

- Use Lead for Rhythm (with the gain dialed back a little), and use a boost for the solos.

Those seem to me to be the best options. Ideally, I'd give some of the gain in the lead mode to R2, since Lead has way more than I need, and make the difference between those two a little less dramatic, while leaving R1 clean as it is. But I'm not Mike B., so that's a little out of my reach... :wink:

You can try swapping different preamp tubes in v1 spot etc ...

A quality boost pedal may give you more instant gratification , though .

The tube swappin' thing can get a little , ah , obsessive . :lol:

ursinus said:
Xotic RC booster waorks awesome for R2 on the MKIII greenie, so does the BB Pre too.

It seems like the key is to find a booster that's pretty transparent. I tried my OCD, and it seemed a little too "thick'. I've got some others to play with. The Sparkle Drive seemed better. I've also got a bunch of cheaper/older ones to try out, so it's just a matter of seeing which works best.

Push the front end a bit - turns it into a monster! lol, I used to dime my wireless to slam the input.

Latest posts

Back