Any suggestions for a great wah pedal for the Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't played the 5:50 yet, but my favorite wah is the morley bad horsie 2. No clicking on and off just step on and go, let up and it stops, it also has an adjustable knob on the inside (need a small screwdriver to move it) to adjust how quickly it stops the wah when you lift your foot off. I had a dunlop 535q wah that was fun, but I got sick of it. The vox wah was way to honky and sharp for me. I've always liked the different morley wahs I've played on.

Agreed! I got the Bad Horsie II yesterday and it is everything I could ever ask for! Tried all the dunlops...owned the Dimebag wah for a month...all I got was thin and harsh tones.

Plugged in the Morley and I finally got fat expressive wah tones!

^^^^I'm with ya Ibanez about the Dimebag. I rock a Area 51 and switch it out with the Clyde Deluxe. Both great wahs but different in their own satisfying ways :)

I use a Buddah wah - switched to it from a cry baby and really like it. It has a nice sweep to it.

I use the good old standard dunlop crybaby with mine and the pedal has never sounded better than through my 5:50.

Cheers,

Richt :D

I sold my Dimebag wah, as well. Too nasally. I have a modded Crybaby for true bypass and more vocal sounding.

Isn't the Bad Horsie II more of a modern wah? I would love to try one.

I wouldn't call it a modern sounding wah, it just sounds different than other wahs I've used. I think it adds to the sound of the guitar rather than covering it up, I find it very expressive as well to just pull my foot off to turn off (I have mine set to turn off right when my foot comes off, no delay) and stomp it back on for a unique effect as well.

^Exactly....while some wahs completely alter your tone to a mess of mids and treble, the Morley simple adds a slight wah too it...doesn't change it at all.....very smooth and reactive to the movements...I love it! Allows you to really add more expression to your playing when needed!

The wah pedals i have owned: Dunlop Crybaby, Ibanez Wheeping Demon, Morley Bad Horsie Original, and now the Dunlop Zakk wylde.

Dunlop Crybaby sounds great, but to me it didnt have enough sweep range.
Ibanez Wheeping Demon, Huge sweep, very adjustible, but it sounded digital to me.
Morley Bad Horsie, Not enough sweep.
Zakk Wylde wah, way thicker than the original crybaby with an extended sweep. I love it.
You just need to try as many out as you can and make your decision, everything sounds different to everybody.

Some ramblings:

Dunlop makes the 535Q wah which has an adjustable range.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=274

Fulltone "clyde" wah
http://www.fulltone.com/CSW.asp

Ernie Ball just released a wah pedal.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=18602&featurecode=66

I once had a Morley wah pedal, years ago, it might have been a bad horsie. Anyways, the sound was very cold and input jacks were overly tight to use with "monster cable" brand "monster rock" cables.

+1 to the budda budwah and vox wah

Dunlop also makes a wah with a fasel inductor on it, supposedly more vintage spec. A long time ago wahs all had a little different sound and people would try 5 or 6 of the same model before finding one. Supposedly Jimi was one of the people who dug around to find a good wah. Sorry I can't cite a source.

Dunlop makes like 10 or 15 wahs...

Digitech makes a mediocre "jimi hendrix" model wah

Boss makes a mediocre v-wah (supposedly emulates other wahs, blah)

The original dunlop wah has been like $69 for like 10 years now, I remember the single for "bulls on parade" seemed to cause a wah shortage.

Snarling Dogs wahs do sound nice, but I didn't like the physical action of them. YMMV

It also comes down to the 'less is more' rule of thumb. A shorter signal path with less controls might just yield more satisfaction.

I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe & a Morley Mark Tremonti. The Tremonti has a pretty wide sweep that sounds great for higher gain rock. In my opinion isnt that great for funk or blues or classic rock sounds. The clyde excels in those areas. With 3 different settings ( Shaft- Jimi -& Whacked) you get a lot of options. The Clyde is also true bypass. The wah is the most expressive of all your effects as such is the most personal I think the only way to pick a wah is to play as many as you can and see which one fits your style

The Fulltone Clyde is about the only pedal that has never left my board.

Just my two cents............

From my experience I have to go with the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, or the Budda! The fulltone stuff is pretty spendy but lasts a helluva lot longer than any other brand I've tried. As far as the sound goes, that's pretty much up to the ears of the user!

I'm looking into the standard Morley Wah at the moment.

Mostly because I did the Zakk Wylde style of setting the wah to treble, then leaving it. No rocking the wah to make a solo sound any better, just adding a bit of texture.

That is the reason I don't dig the Tremonti or Bad Horsie, as I'd rather not have to keep my foot on the pedal. Otherwise, those pedals rock.

Another vote for the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe...great, great sounding wah, and very versatile. It's not cheap, but it's quality sound and construction all the way. Take off the chassis cover, and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I tried out the Bad Horsie, Dunlop Crybaby 535q, the Clyde & Vox. The Bad Horsie 2 got my vote with the Crybaby 535q a close 2nd.

I really liked the easy engage, disengage setup and it seemed to be true bypass. Also very versatile tone wise. I picked up a used Bad Horsie 2 on Ebay for $82 :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back