Any converts from the Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice to see a lot of us have the same musical taste to compare sounds with. I'm a using a Gibson 339 with 57's and a PRS DGT. I need to look into the Fralin's. I'm going to do some experimenting with the settings this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Hey Lucidology,

I was wondering if you could post what you came up as with as far as settings go for your Lonestar on the Mark V. I sold my Lonestar recently and I'm enjoying the V. I really like your sound. I think we enjoy the same types of music. Any settings you'd like to share for some Jazzy Mark I? I'd appreciate it. I play in a cover band that plays all kinds of blues/classic/southern rock and I'd like to capture your clean tone. Thanks.
Jon

Hi,

just picked up the Mark V, amazing amp!!!
I wanted the cleans to be at least as good as on my Lonestar 10/50/100 but they are amazing with even more options!!!
The second channel on the crunch is just great. The third is on the extreme for now so i have 3 great sounds:
Cleans - fender like with great tweeking options
Crunch - Marshall crunch but more refined with a mesa flavour
Extreme - Mesa high gain
My cabinet is the Roadking 2x12.

Im using the Nova Delay in the loop, the send level is on 10 o clock but the repeats sounds a bit distorted so i will have to do some adjustments. Any advice?

I used to have a Roadking II but i think the Mark V is more usefull with the 3 Channel concept, it is lighter and smaller.

Rock and Roll!!!!!!!!!

How does the Reverb on the Mark V compare to the Lonestar's?

I love the idea of having smoother overdrive from the Mark V but if the cleans are not as sweet and warm with that lush great reverb I might have a hard time going with a Mark V.

I feel the Lonestar has superior cleans to the Mark V . Im sure you will hear a difference of opnion but that's mine . I still love my Mark V but My LS has a better clean channel .

I had the Lonestar Classic head but I am very happy I changed to the Mark V. At first i thought I was missing the clean Ch from Lonestar but not anymore. The V has as good a clean Ch and better (for me) distortions.
The Lonestar can't be beat for cleans and reverb though.

jonanderson23 said:
Hey Lucidology,

I was wondering if you could post what you came up as with as far as settings go for your Lonestar on the Mark V. I sold my Lonestar recently and I'm enjoying the V. I really like your sound. I think we enjoy the same types of music. Any settings you'd like to share for some Jazzy Mark I? I'd appreciate it. I play in a cover band that plays all kinds of blues/classic/southern rock and I'd like to capture your clean tone. Thanks.
Jon

Sorry for the belated reply ... I just noticed you asked this question...
Depending on the guitar being used, I'll switch between the clean & the fat mode ...
In general here's my settings which can change slightly from room to room or guitar to guitar:

Gain: As little as possible. Just to make sure the clean is loud enough I'll go 2 1/2 ... maybe 3 at the most (that's before Noon)
Master: 2 O'Clock at least, too all the way up (that's 2 past Noon or 2 past straight up)
Presence: 2 to Noon
Treble: 3 to Noon
Mid: Off to 3
Bass: Noon to 2 O'Clock past Noon..

this is just a camera mic, but here's what I use for my main fusion sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyu8FOGzHLg

shogun said:
this is just a camera mic, but here's what I use for my main fusion sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyu8FOGzHLg

Very nice playing nice ... love your legato-isms ...
Are those FL's on your Suhr?

And would U mine sharing your settings for channel & mode for that sound?

Oh & one more question ... is that the Nova delay behind the Mark V swith pedal?

v60lp's and an SSH+ in that guitar

Variac Power
Mark IV
EQ OFF
Gain 12:30
Treble 12:00
Mid 530 (FULL)
Bass 10:00 (only have it up like this when i'm doing really low gain stuff)
Master 1:30

I'll use this same tone in a video w/ proper mic'ing, etc, etc

i'm dangerously close to converting from the LS myself... so i thought i'd resurrect this thread...

i've come by way of ED -> to LSC...

any update from the original posters? Lucid - i recall seeing that you've gone back to the LSC as your primary amp - is this true?

i started looking at a MK V to supplement my LSC. circumstances have made that unreasonable - so i'm considering switching over.

i love me some high-gain tones - but mainly those are just for self-indulgent basement rocking. for my primary sound - i need tasty low/med gain edge-of-breakup type stuff...

i've always used pedals to get my metal fix... but as my ears age - the pedals don't do it for me anymore. i've played the gain channels of the mkV - and they left me with chills up my spine... i didn't spent much time with the clean channels because wasn't considering selling my LS at that time.

i'm in the process of ditching all my pedals, dreaming of a simple setup... wah -> ts-9 silver -> mkV... delay in the loop.

anyone switch from the LSC to mkV and regret it?

Hey man, I'm the guy that started the thread. I did indeed sell the LSC and pickup a Mark V Head and 2x12 Open Back Cab. I don't regret it at all. I loved the Lonestar, but I dig the Mark's versatility. I never find myself wishing I had that Lonestar Clean. The fat setting on the clean channel is close enough for me. I'm also the same as you and love having the high gain stuff for my self indulgent metal side but mainly play clean, low, and mid gain stuff. But yes, the Mark V nails the low gain touch sensitive break up stuff. I use the BB preamp OD pedal and really that thing should come packaged with most Mesa amps. It's basically adding a 4th channel to your amp. I find that the best low gain tones come from the "Tweed" setting of Ch.1, BB Preamp on top of the Fat Setting of Ch1. and the "Crunch" setting of Ch. 2. Also, I found that Lonestar would get pretty muddy with humbuckers in many scenarios. It is much easier to dial out bass on the Mark V and having a footswitchable EQ is awesome. So yeah, great amp.

Latest posts

Back