Any converts from the Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwish

Reaction score
I've got a Lonestar Classic Head/2x12 Cab that I really like. The tone I use most frequently with my band is a light overdrive tone, but we play a good amount of jazz, groovy scofield kind of stuff, funk, classic rock. I grew up a metal head and like to play it on my own time but not with the band. Just curious if there is anyone that has moved over from the lonestar to the mark v and how they're finding it.

zwish said:
I've got a Lonestar Classic Head/2x12 Cab that I really like. The tone I use most frequently with my band is a light overdrive tone, but we play a good amount of jazz, groovy scofield kind of stuff, funk, classic rock. I grew up a metal head and like to play it on my own time but not with the band. Just curious if there is anyone that has moved over from the lonestar to the mark v and how they're finding it.

I just have done ... You can hear me playing the Lonestar Classic just about a month ago in this thread:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=42224

Check it out & then I'll tell you what I've been finding different or similar if you'd like ...

lucidology said:
Check it out & then I'll tell you what I've been finding different or similar if you'd like ...

Great playing! I actually saw this over in the Lonestar thread a few days ago. So now you're playing the Mark V? I'm on the lonestar's ch2 90% of the time and just use my guitar's vol knob to clean it up. From Mark V demo's that I've been looking at on youtube, it looks like the low OD tones that I like come from the "tweed" setting on Ch1 of the Mark V but I like to have a dedicated clean channel for jazz stuff. How does the mark's channel 2 stack up against the LSC's ch2? Any other thoughts you have between the two are very much appreciated.

PS. I'm digging the Fralin's in your guitar. I live in Richmond, VA (where Lindy is located). I've been out to his shop a few times and recently put some of his Tele pickups in my G&L. Great guy. Take care!

I have a LSC head that's about 1 year old. I wanted a second backup amp and decided to get the V. So far that is all I've been using to gig with. I love the tweed setting but I need a little cleaner classic blues tone so I'm working on getting the fat channel to fill those needs. I mostly use the Mark I setting for jazzy Steely Dan or modern blues tones. I only use channel 3 right now for overdriven Joe Bonamassa, Gov't Mule type music. I recently put El34's in my LSC and may even use that amp as well with a head switcher for certain music. I play a PRS DGT and Gibson 339 which sound awesome through the V. It just takes some time finding out the settings you want. I'm still working on getting those all together.

zwish said:
lucidology said:

Great playing! I actually saw this over in the Lonestar thread a few days ago. So now you're playing the Mark V? I'm on the lonestar's ch2 90% of the time and just use my guitar's vol knob to clean it up. From Mark V demo's that I've been looking at on youtube, it looks like the low OD tones that I like come from the "tweed" setting on Ch1 of the Mark V but I like to have a dedicated clean channel for jazz stuff. How does the mark's channel 2 stack up against the LSC's ch2? Any other thoughts you have between the two are very much appreciated.

PS. I'm digging the Fralin's in your guitar. I live in Richmond, VA (where Lindy is located). I've been out to his shop a few times and recently put some of his Tele pickups in my G&L. Great guy. Take care!

The Mark V's 2nd channel obviously has more gain then the LSC's W 2nd channel ...Just Love the Mark 1 setting ..
Pretty much can dial in the same tone I get on LSC's but with an even more fluid sound & feel ...
IMO, the LSC loses some of it's smoothness when the gain is turned up too much... not so with the Mark V

As for the clean tones... was very skeptical that the Mark V could even play in the same ball park as the LSC.
Until I put them side by side and tweaked the MarK V as close to the LSC clean as possible .. and viola'
I got pretty much the same tone you hear in they hear in that Youtube.. maybe even a little more of the goodness

Great, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'm a total knobturner and miss having a high gain channel so the Mark V seems right up my alley. Still, 90% of the time I'll be on channel 1 and channel 2 though. Those low overdrive tones are very important to me.

I've owned the LoneStar, great amp, Mark V smokes it. I can get tone just like the LoneStar, but can get so much more that the LoneStar cannot do.

Great, I really think I'm about to bite the bullet and pick up the Mark V head. Wish I could play one first, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Mesa stuff so far. When you say:
lucidology said:
Just Love the Mark 1 setting ..
Pretty much can dial in the same tone I get on LSC's but with an even more fluid sound & feel ...
IMO, the LSC loses some of it's smoothness when the gain is turned up too much... not so with the Mark V

Does this fluid tone come from more gain? I've been a guy that uses too much gain in the past. Thanks guys I might be heading out to the shop tomorrow.

zwish said:
Great, I really think I'm about to bite the bullet and pick up the Mark V head. Wish I could play one first, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Mesa stuff so far. When you say:
lucidology said:
Just Love the Mark 1 setting ..

Does this fluid tone come from more gain? I've been a guy that uses too much gain in the past. Thanks guys I might be heading out to the shop tomorrow.

Sort of ... but it's a very sweet gain ...
The guys I play (in a couple different bands) are just fliping out over my OD tone these days ...
and they've been playing with me for years ...

I switched, while keeping the lonestar for a while.. It made me realize how overly dark the LSS is.. :oops:

Yeah I hear that, I basically run my Bass off on both channels and I've done the Reeder Mod. Mesa is only open Monday-Thursday so I think Monday I'll be ordering one (hopefully it doesn't take 90 days). Keep the info coming. I'm gonna hang on to my LSC until the mark V gets here so I can A/B the two. So if you're in the market for a completely MINT LSC head let me know haha!

Hey Lucidology, checked out your videos with the Lonestar and really like your style and tone. Would really like to see a video of you using the Mark V and its tones including what your settings are. I am struggling with the Mark I mod for some reason and want to see what others are doing with it since many really like that one. Educate me if you can.

JLBoogie said:
Hey Lucidology, checked out your videos with the Lonestar and really like your style and tone. Would really like to see a video of you using the Mark V and its tones including what your settings are. I am struggling with the Mark I mod for some reason and want to see what others are doing with it since many really like that one. Educate me if you can.

Hey bro ... good chance a friend might be filming one of my gigs again soon ...
What tone are you looking for with the Mark 1 setting ...?

I have it dialed in for sort of an early fusion style tone ...
But depending on the gig, I leave the EQ the same and just turn the gain up or down ...

JLBoogie said:

The only usable tones i've found with it are if you crank the master, and use the graphic EQ

Lucidology,

I love the tone you were getting with the Lonestar. Have you found any Robben Ford, Carltonesque sounds out of the Mark I setting on the V yet? Some fluid, clear, less mud for the fusion jazz and blues music tones. If so, could you point me in a direction on settings?

Jon

jonanderson23 said:
Lucidology,

I love the tone you were getting with the Lonestar. Have you found any Robben Ford, Carltonesque sounds out of the Mark I setting on the V yet? Some fluid, clear, less mud for the fusion jazz and blues music tones. If so, could you point me in a direction on settings?

Jon

You hit it on the nose Jon, exactly what I've been trying to dial in with the Mark 1 & in truth,
I think I've been getting pretty close ...

Key, of course, is turning down the bass knob when turning up the Gain & NO MID's (or just a touch)...
One can turn up the gain quite a bit without mids & it has a much more fluid quality ...

Thanks for digging the tone on the Lonestar .. keep me posted on your efforts OK

- Joseph

That is the tone I was looking for with the mark 1 mode. Looking for some smooth singing notes without the mud for a jazzy sound. So far I get mud or a good distorted sound but can use channel three for that. I turn the bass and mids almost completely off. Speakers and pickups I am sure also come into play. I am using a 2x12 lonestar cab that has vintage 30's instead of c-90's, and my Les Paul with classic 57 pickups. Lucidology seems to come to that tone with the lonestar, can't wait to see a video of him with the Mark V. Post your Mark 1 settings

JLBoogie said:
That is the tone I was looking for with the mark 1 mode. Looking for some smooth singing notes without the mud for a jazzy sound. So far I get mud or a good distorted sound but can use channel three for that. I turn the bass and mids almost completely off. Speakers and pickups I am sure also come into play. I am using a 2x12 lonestar cab that has vintage 30's instead of c-90's, and my Les Paul with classic 57 pickups. Lucidology seems to come to that tone with the lonestar, can't wait to see a video of him with the Mark V. Post your Mark 1 settings

V30's are probably the main culprit that prevents you from achieving your fluid solo tone ..
I've never been able to dial much in in the way of OD smoothness those particular speakers, not to mention how they can compromise a good clean tone ...

Don't get me stared on the 57's either bro ... lol ...
You'd love the Falins

Latest posts

Back