Any Champ type amp users/modders/builders out there?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

212Mavguy

Reaction score
I have an old silverface Champ that I have done some major stuff to and love the results. Just curious, are there any other single ended or parallell single ended amp users?

What have you done to yours?

Built from scratch or kit?

Own a boutique type?

Fave tubes/speakers?

As you know I have a Frenzel Champ Plus amp. I don't think I will mod it, it has all the goodies already. Bought it before Jim's son Travis joined the team and convinced his dad to raise prices. $295 plus shipping PLUS I sent the top of the line Axiom multi-tap transformer down from Mercury Magnetics and Jim installed it at no extra charge!! I did have to brace the inside of the chassis because the tranny was so heavy.

It is a great amp, I can put all sorts of different tubes in there and get great variations on classic tones. It is louder than you would think and pretty quiet (low noise). Jim uses a component to component type construction, very solid build and clever. It would be the last amp I would sell if things got tough, I can get replacements for all my Mesa gear. This was totally handmade by a great builder.

Oh, and the Prince (another Champ clone but pretty primitive build) is illin', sounds like a bad cap. It is a disaster waiting to happen anyway so I am not sure if I should just off it as a project on ebay.

Oh, and the Prince (another Champ clone but pretty primitive build) is illin', sounds like a bad cap. It is a disaster waiting to happen anyway so I am not sure if I should just off it as a project on ebay.

Sixveesix, as good as the Frenzel is, in my very humble opinion you don't need the boogered Champ Tone amp at all except as a wierd looking oversized paperweight. Off it on ebay...you know of course that it will command more of a funky than goodie price. If you find an old Silverface Champ or Vibro Champ for cheap then you could mod it for poops and giggles and stick it in a cab with the Frenzel for a stereo rig.

I'd like to share for others what I did to my Silverface Champ...

Bought used and very sick, low volume output, 75 bucks from a friend that didn't know what he had and too lazy to exploit,

Replaced the 3 dead 25/25 caps on the board with ones of much higher values. Overall sound of amp darkened some as they broke in and formed themselves, no fartiness on bottom and very full sounding in mids

Replaced the bias resistor with similar resistance but higher wattage rating

disconnected feedback loop

replaced the main tranny with an Allen rite iron unit, higher rated for current, the one that drops into the stock cutout and mounting bolt pattern,

replaced the wimpy walnut sized 3,2 ohm out output tranny with a MONSTER sized 5-7 pound 40 watt rated single ended unit from eBay, 5000 ohm primary into 4/8/16 ohm, had to mount in bottom corner of cab with bolts and t-nuts (!!!) output was wired into the...

1/4" switchcraft output jack that replaced the stock RCA jack,

replaced the disc shaped ceramic cap bridging a couple of pins on the power tube socket with a 1200 ohm 2 watt resistor going to the screen circuit, thanks to Area 51 guys for that suggestion, made more harmonic detail and opened up treble frequencies

installed Area 51 fized/cathode bias switch, fixed bias board/pot assembly, and bias test jack, I use the cathode bias side of the switch for all tubes except el34 and 6550, for those I use the fixed bias setting and adjust the pot accordingly.

ran a wire from output tube socket pin 3 to a plate cap clip to be able to run el38, purchased some Mullard el38's, this tube is smoother in sound and much less expensive than its el37 brothers, a secret weapon amp tube fo sho!

purchased 6bg6ga adaptor socket and some Sylvania 6bg6ga, a MAJORLY gorgeous sounding secret weapon 6l6-ish tube available for dirt cheap on ebay

purchased 807 adaptor and a few military 807 tubes, will revisit at some point and work up bias adjustment to warm up the tone

Am in process of obtaining an adaptor for the Bendix Red Bank 6384 tube from Titan missile program, the most durable by far and best sounding 6l6 type ever produced

tossed the stock and slightly torn 8" speaker into the trash can since it did not work well as a frisbee golf disc, now use the amp as a head only. I experimented with Peavey scorpion 10, tight fit and the tubes started to rattle some, also reduced power tube choices due to cab crowding, so out it came.

Amp runs 16 ohm output tranny tap to use all of the secondary transformer windings for richest tone with the most harmonics, into either a 16 ohm 1/15 cab with vintage Altec 418b, or 16 ohm 2/15 cab running a pair of JBL g135's, squashes any champ I've had the pleasure to hear like a sumo wrestler sitting on a whoopee cushion. Needs no micing at stage volume, very loud and proud with the more powerful output tubes, even 6 watts from 6v6 is plenty for most club work.

never use 5y3 any more as rectifier, I now use 5v4 for most tubes and 5ar4 for most powerful output tubes, same heater voltage and pinout, but transmits much more current than 5y3. Have seen plenty of writings that say is makes no difference for tone in a single ended amp for different rectifier tubes, they are clearly deaf...!

for all uses I employ a Hilton pedal steel volume pedal for a bit of clean boost and no roll off of highs at lower volumes, it is an active, wall wart powered unit

for a two channel effect I use a vintage DOD 9v battery powered eq/boost pedal, adjustable up into full on scream/controlled feedback territory

for three channels I use my secret tone weapon, a Siegmund Micro Tube Double Drive pedal instead of the DOD unit

Since there is no standby switch installed, I pull out the rectifier tube before turning amp on and after, wait a minute before socketing it to avoid possiblilty of cathode stripping on expensive or rare vintage tubes I sometimes use. I know that 5v4 and 5ar4 are indirectly heated and take some time to warm up, longer than 5y3, but some power tubes need a bit more time, especially the more powerful ones

Gets no love or respect at first when playing out at open stage blues jams due to ratty looks and lowly Silverface Champ status, not "cool" like a tweed champ, that all changes after the first notes come out, then the questions start coming... I also like having the silverface's tone controls available to shape the sounds, there is so much bottom end available from the massive iron in output tranny and big magnet/cone speakers that one can turn the bass down and still get very fat and tight bottom and lower mids, resulting also in more harmonic detail and clarity in upper mids and highs.

Very satisfying to do these mods and the sound is so good it's hard to turn off.

I assembled two 5F2 Series Allen Kit : 5F1+ and a 5FCA.

Basically 5F1+ is a tweed Champ but you have three controls, Tone, Volume, Master. It also has a bright switch and two input one normal behaves like a tweed input and the other is high gain, sensitivity (signal going through 1 extra preamp).

If you love to play guitar rock 'n' roll licks, Champ amp are a must.

The 5FCA is basically a Champ power section but the preamp like an older Marshall, "Tone Stack". Volume, Treble, Bass, bright switch and two input each with different sensitivity like the 5F1+.

Love this amp too. Cranks out like a vintage Marshall.

You don't have to kill your ears to get a good recording tube amp tone out of these two amps.. Not sure if practical in live environment if they're not mic'ed.

I've got a 71 Champ restored a few months ago. Just caps, cleanup and a Weber, (the speaker had been changed). The tubes appear to be stock, tested fine, and work fine. It sounds outstanding. Never leaves the house.

My Dad found it in a dumpster, new a little about tube amps and Fender. When he gave it to me I just plugged it in and flipped the switch but the power light didn't come on and the jewel was missing. I looked at the tubes and they were lighting up. So I plugged a guitar into it, and it worked fine but sounded funny due to the cheap speaker that was in it, and a few bad caps.

Some idiot threw it away because the light bulb burned out!

The guy that worked on it wanted to buy it, but it was one of the last things my Dad gave me before he died and I'm gonna keep it.

Best of luck.

Did some more stuff on my champ...was given a non operating Peavey Mace, was left out in the weather and so non operational chassis and speakers got chucked, Kept the six nearly new Sovtek 5881/6l6wgc (I'd like to sell them) kept the finger jointed cab, the narrow bottom rear baffle was screwed to the front to cover the chassis slot, and a pair of old maple cabinet doors got chopped up for some rear baffles to make a semi closed back a la THD Longhorn, took a pair of very vintage premium quality 60's Jensen LMI 125 12 inch ceramics, similar to vibranto, tossed them in it. Amaz9ngly loud speakers, needed to roll treble and bass off slightly, the cab and speakers give a slightly mid scooped sound.

Messed with 807 power tube using fixed bias side of the bias switch, decided that it was inherently bright, biased it up hot til just beginning to redplate and the sound did not change much at all except to play louder, so now use 6v6/6l6 cathode bias switch setting. That tube has wonderful harmonic detail and I think of it as sounding very much like a more powerful 6v6, the build quality is amazing, and the prices they go for are also amazinly inexpensive on ebay.

Took the champ and new cab to an open blues jam and with a well used GE 6l6gb blackplate, it was warm and oh so sweet, but too loud for the club to open up and get the classic champ scream going. So will return at some point with less wattage.

It is SO fun to take an old amp and get an old dog to do new tricks!

You're just weird.

I mean, good weird.............

I enjoy your salvage attitude. Making lemonaide out of lemons.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Latest posts

Back