Amp hums gets worse with reverb turned up - mark iv A

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonedover

Reaction score
Mark iv A - 1990

So I have an annoying hum. It gets way worse when you turn up the reverb.

I have tried
- new RCA cables for the reverb tank
- unplugging the reverb tank
- brand new 12at7 in the reverb tube spot

Nothing helping so far

Suggestions?
Replace all the preamps?
Take it to a tech?

Sounds like tech time. Most likely a simple fix. Pretty sure in the IV there is more than one tube involved in the reverb section. Does the noise go away when reverb off?

This quote from another thread, hope this might send you on the right path :arrow:

Is it a Rev A or B? You can easily tell by the loop jacks: four jacks = Rev A, three jacks = Rev B. Reason being, the Rev B does not have a single dedicated tube for reverb; the duty is split between two preamp tubes.

mysterblues said:
This quote from another thread, hope this might send you on the right path :arrow:

Is it a Rev A or B? You can easily tell by the loop jacks: four jacks = Rev A, three jacks = Rev B. Reason being, the Rev B does not have a single dedicated tube for reverb; the duty is split between two preamp tubes.

It an A.

#693 off the line, June 1990

It's all written in marker on the inside chassis

Attach a ground wire to the sleeve of the RCA cables connecting to the bottom of the amp. Tie them together.
This should correct the issue. Sounds like a floating ground problem.
There is a MESA doc on this somewhere.

tonedover said:
Mark iv A - 1990

So I have an annoying hum. It gets way worse when you turn up the reverb.

I have tried
- new RCA cables for the reverb tank
- unplugging the reverb tank
- brand new 12at7 in the reverb tube spot

Nothing helping so far

Suggestions?
Replace all the preamps?
Take it to a tech?

Is the loop ON or OFF? Kindly ensure the loop is OFF. Next, turn the reverb to 0. Still have hum?

As above, and then disconnect the reverb tank briefly (not so good to run the reverb circuit without the tank) - any change??

Sounds like it's bench-time for some fault-finding though...

Latest posts

Back