AFI Dual recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venaleschatology

Reaction score
Cant help but think I'm ganna get flamed for this but does anyone wanna drop some knowledge on me about recto settings for AFI guitar tones, esp Black Sails. I have a recto rec pre so settings specific to that would be best but any info will do nicely. Cheers

I know jade uses a triple rectifier. I get really good AFI sounds outta mine. But more tones from Sing the Sorrow and Decemeber Underground. Try something like this for songs like girls not grey:

Channel 2/3 vintage:
Master- Whatever
Bass- 2oclock - max
Mid- 8oclock-9oclock
Treble-Almost maxed
Prescene-Almost maxed or maxed
Gain - 2oclock-4oclock

This is for triple rec, and I cant remember the exact dial positions, because I just moved to Miami and my triple rec is home in seattle until i moved the rest of my stuff.

Just use a LOT of treble + presence, a pretty good amount of gain, a decent ammount of bass, and slightly scooped mids.

Also, if you have a Les Paul, that helps. I use burstbucker pros, 498T alnico bridge, or a duncan jb to yield the best results.

I have a Mesa catalog with him standing next to his rig, I see 2 Dual Rectifier rackmounts in his setup.

theaero said:
I know jade uses a triple rectifier. I get really good AFI sounds outta mine. But more tones from Sing the Sorrow and Decemeber Underground. Try something like this for songs like girls not grey:

Channel 2/3 vintage:
Master- Whatever
Bass- 2oclock - max
Mid- 8oclock-9oclock
Treble-Almost maxed
Prescene-Almost maxed or maxed
Gain - 2oclock-4oclock

This is for triple rec, and I cant remember the exact dial positions, because I just moved to Miami and my triple rec is home in seattle until i moved the rest of my stuff.

Just use a LOT of treble + presence, a pretty good amount of gain, a decent ammount of bass, and slightly scooped mids.

Also, if you have a Les Paul, that helps. I use burstbucker pros, 498T alnico bridge, or a duncan jb to yield the best results.

jeez i don't follow AFI music i think i saw a musiv video but those settings must sound awful IMO everything is maxed. presence maxed treble maxed, bass maxed, gain at 4:00 you know how brittle sounding that is???? you can't even make out the strings, unless i'm missing something.

venaleschatology said:
Cant help but think I'm ganna get flamed for this but does anyone wanna drop some knowledge on me about recto settings for AFI guitar tones, esp Black Sails. I have a recto rec pre so settings specific to that would be best but any info will do nicely. Cheers

For Rec Recording Pre

Channel - Vintage(fine on modern too).

Gain -1- 2:00(to taste)
Treble - 11:00
Mid- 12-2:00
Bass - 2:00
Presence - 8:00 or to taste( i prefer it almost off)
Master - to Taste

This is through a power amp/cab not direct.

I have found the treble dial is the key to all tones on this pre amp. Tweaking it , dramatically effects the other parameters.

Thanks kids. I especially agree with the treble control on the pre being the 'god' control. Is it the same on the head?

Latest posts

Back