Adding to the pedalboard!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, within the last 6 months, I've been slowly building my pedalbaord, and it is doing very well so far! I already have a wah, overdrive, and noise gate that I am very happy with! I'm hoping to slowly build THE perfect pedal board, and I have found two more pedals that I would like to add into the mix: a pedal tuner, and a delay pedal.

Keep one thing in mind though....I'm a tone freak, my amp is a Mesa Dual recto, so I want to keep my tone intact.

1. With pedal tuners, I have stumbled upon two choices:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=210064

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ects?sku=210054

As both are true bypass, and I don't need all the additional features of the peterson, I'm thinking of going with the planet waves. All I need the pedal to do is tune conviniently. I'm done with unplugging my guitar and going to my little tuner on the side.

2. The delay pedal.....I have looked at the Boss DD-3, DD-6, line 6 echo park, line 6 delay modular, and a few other more expensive units (EH, H&K, etc.) As the pedal will be in the loop, and only able to switch in and out with my recto fx switch, I will not have control of the pedal itself with my foot....I will make one good setting, and go with that.

My main question is, as the pedal itself is in the loop, is true bypass necessary in this situation? I obviously want it to effect my tone when it is switch in, but when I turn the fx loop off, will it effect my original tone at all? They way I see it, when turning the fx loop off (with footswitch), my original tone should come back, so true bypass doesn't seem to be necessary. Opinions please!

3. Powering: Right now, my pedalboard is powered by a daisy chained morley 9V adapter.....I will have to get one more daisy chain, or rearrange my pedal board for better spacing, to power the tuner. Will this still work, or am I running short on power? I think it will be fine, but I just want to check!

For the pedal pedal, I will just get another 9V, or use the radioshack one I have lying around, to power it by itself.....I will have two nice volt adapters and my recto plugged into one power strip....any power problem you see there? Idk, hum produced or something....just throwing this out to be sure, though I think it is a pretty stupid question.

4. Cables for the loop:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...bles?sku=336001

Pricey, but I want to keep the quality going through my rig.....good idea, or not worth it in the loop?

Thanks alot for all the help guys!

Not sure what the second tuner was but get a Strobo Stomp.

For cables to run your pedal in front of the amp and in the loop get the PedalSnake (pedalsnake.com) it will make your life so much easier.

Delay - I would go with the DD-3. Echo Park has some issues with noise and I haven't seen anything definitive on them being fixed.

I was thinking the DD-3, as all I need is one good delay setting to just switch in and out with the recto fx switch! Should I take the DD-6 into consideration?

Was it the link that didn't work with the second tuner? If so, here it is again

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=210064

It's a new planet waves pedal tuner....true bypass, and looks like it would handle my needs. The peterson looks really good, but it is over double the price and has many features that I don't need.....all I need the thing to do is tune.

The Strobostomp was one of, if not THE, best purchases I ever made in terms of improving "my sound". Certainly the best $189 I've spent on guitar stuff.

As for cables, making your own is way cheaper, and you can go top-shelf... and all of them will be the perfect length. You can get Mogami 2524 for abou $0.65 / ft and Neutrik connectors for about $2 each.

Everyone has been vouging for the strobo stomp. It's definitely a great pedal, and I just might have to go for it!

But any opinions on the planet waves pedal tuner?

^That's actually very interesting! Will it keep my original tone intact when not using the muted tuner mode? That actually may be a good substitute to use my korg tuner!

I'm definitely going to consider that! If not, I think it's going to be the planet waves! I'll give it a shot, and if it's bad, I can always return! I just can't justify the near $200 for a tuner.

It uses a 3PDT true bypass switch by Electro-Harmonix. Your tone will be intact.

Scott Peterson over at The Gear Page likes his, he says "highly recommended."

It looks really good....only thing is that I'd have to use batteries for the tuner, and I just hate batteries. Never know when they will die.

One thing I thought I should mention...I want a slightly shorter delay....one that would beefen up my tone a bit for some faster licks and solo runs.....a long delay is also good, but the shorter is a little more important!

GP gave a good review of the Rocktron Short Timer...

...and the Peterson is really worth it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back