About to jump ship

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this..Get or borrow a boss compressor...set the level at 2:00 the attack at 12, the tone at 1, and the sustain at 1....I get so much gain and sustain that Carlos is jealous....in any channel.....but 3 is insane....adds no distortion also. PS run it through the front of the amp.

I went from a JVM 205c combo to a Mark V. The JVM had a much rawer sound. It had some great modes for crunch right out of the box that fit great into a live mix. I was never a fan of the clean channel. The OD channel had too much gain and was too noisy (without a suppressor) for my taste...even on low settings. It was much harder to fit in a live mix for me...unless we had a lot of setup time to tweak.

I use a Mark V live with a Palmer PDI-09 instead of micing the cab and I've used the JVM410H with the Emulated Line Out instead of micing the cab. Honestly, the JVM won hands down every time. The JVM just lacks the tone consistency that the Mark V brings to the table.

If you want to give it that little extra something, try out the Xotic EP booster. IMO it sounds better than the RC booster and is just a great clean boost. Also, try a new set up on your guitar like someone mentioned already, it could make a world of difference.

The great:

All those suggestions got me thinking and I was able to do a few tests last night during rehearsal. I tried boosting the signal with Carl Martin booster and it did good got instant comments from bandmates. So I will probably go down that path if I don't go bezerk before.....

The not so great:

After playing half an hour last night I started to get volume drop again. I had to hard bypass the effect loop to be able to finish the night. Had this problem last summer and got it fixed. A relay way changed on the circuit board. If it could be only V6 I'd be happy but I'm not to confident. I'll see soon enough. Kit back at my place.. again to troubleshoot.

I'am using 4 cables hookup with a BOSS GT-10 multieffects, maybe I should just go guitar -> wah -> Xotic boost pedal -> MkV and simply put the GT-10 in the loop. That way I might reduce the tone suck to a minimum.

In the mean time:

Called stores to rent a JVM could not find one. The JVM410H that I tried the other day has been sold. Bummer. It's maybe a sign I should keep the Mark V. Oh wait it doesn't work. :evil:

Boogies aren't for everyone. It really depends on what you want from an amp, for me a Marshall has one decent sound and multiple variations of that sound.

My personal experiences with Marshalls have all been bad ones, terrible cleans, and high gain tones that are just mushy and undefined, I'd blame my guitars, but I'm using PRS.

But being that sound is subjective you may find the tones you want in a JVM.

Good luck on your quest!

I had the volume loss issue with my JVM and the GT-10 in the 4 cable method. The volume would cut drastically at random intervals. Luckily, in only happen a few times during practices. I had to bypass the loop to finish as well.

primeholy said:
Try not using the gt-10 at your next practice.

People don't realize how sensitive the Mark series is to effects. There is a certain purity that gets covered up if you're not careful, and when your ears are used to it....you miss it.

UPDATE:

I changed V6 and voila! no more volume swings. For 4 days at home and last night's rehearsal no signs at all of a problem. So I jumped the gun a little when I assumed the worst since I had this exact symptom last summer (which required a trip to the shop). Anyhow, the important thing from all the comments you made was rethinking the way I connect my effect and all.

Connecting my guitar in a booster pedal in front of the MkV made all the difference with just a small amount of boost and/or drive I was able to get all the musical sustain I needed at almost any volume. Fantastic. The end result is that so far I think the MkV will be a keeper. I still need to figure out a few things like finding a booster/overdrive with has little noise as possible or finding a good noise suppressor pedal. I had purchased a used ISP decimator G string to realize that it was a bit flaky. May be I can have it fixed. It introduced weird sound artefacts... strange... strange...strange...

So I'm not ready for any radical moves but I will definitely rent a JVM410H for a few weeks when I have time.

Thanks all for this thread it's been very helpful.

Besides the obvious crank the gain and treble comment, try fiddling with the EQ sliders as well... 8)

Glad to hear it was just a bad tube. These types of problems can always make us question whether we picked the right amp.

Just a quick update on this saga. I tried a nice Empress Multidrive to get where I was heading. Meaning in the Satriani/Gary Moore type of sound. I gave up and purchased a JVM410H about 2 months ago. As we all know there no single amp that will do everything. Both JVM and Mark V are exceptional in many aspect but as for now the JVM is more what I need for my cover bands so the Mark V had to go. Who knows what will hit the store next well this is it folks thanks for you support and endless source of info.

well I'd like to sell my stiletto stage 2 now (**** just bought it couple weeks ago) and get a JVM, diezel einstein or Mark V. what do you recommend? I play mostly hard-rock/metal/jazz/fusion (???) and half the time at home.

so leaning towards mark v for 10 watt mode. no royal atlantic, too expensive and can't find used.

I've heard the 2 channel JVM sound better than the 4 channel heads. do you really need 4 channels for a Marshall? I had a TSL100 that my bandmates loved (the sound). never had any issues and always cranked past noon.

does the JVM sound "buzzier" than a JCM 800?

Well I'm not the reference when it comes to Marshalls (it's my first one) but the 2 channels JVM is supposed to be a mix from the JVM410 of clean/crunch and the OD2. The JVM410 crunch covers with three mode (Plexi, JCM800, modded JCM800). Over at the JVM Forum seems that the JCM800 and modded JCM800, orange and red mode are some of the best JVM sounds.

Having 4 channels times 3 modes per channel = 12 different core sounds.

I can tell you that I use now about 5 different core sounds, all at one click away. I can go from pristine clean, to tweed type breakup, to classic rock, to huge sustaining lead tone (all implemented through MIDI program change command and JVM 128 presets memory).

I did not notice any buzzyness or fuzzyness in the sound.

I just saw your other post. When I first used the JVM at home I tried the XLR out to board to record or jam with some backing track I was flabergasted I well it sounds for lead parts. I wich I could buy an other one to keep at home but most of the time I leave it at the rehearsal studio. So preamp only signal is very good and you can crank the gain without any fear of noise or feedback. That amps has so much gain that its a bit of an exercise to tame when you play loud live and have a bit to much gain dialed in. I use a ISP G-String for those occasions. In addition it's much cheaper than a MarkV. I sold it at about the price I got a new JVM410H. I play jazz, hard rock, classic rock, I don't play metal but alot of people do use the JVM for that with success (maybe not the most brutal kind ... not sure at all... when it comes to metal).

But I have to repeat MIDI is great. Clean is great. Very compatible with the bridge piezo in my Parker Fly. The MarkV did not like it one bit. It distorted and sort of clipped. I use it with a GT-10 so I keep al the patches leveled changing modes. A true 12 channels amp. It's sick and overkill but it's there and it works.

i own the JVM 410h and it's a fabulous amp. like all amps there are days I turn it on and the sound is just not there......but most days its great to my ears......and because i'm a long time triaxis guy i love the versatility of the 4 channels and modes within the channels.....they all sound different to my ears.

Latest posts

Back