A Question for Combo Owners...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio66

Reaction score
Hello all...been "lurking" here a while now (thanks for all the great info) and just about to order a new ED!(and become a participating member).

Was thinking a head/cab but a combo would be easier.....but combos scare me.I have had terrible luck with "tube rattle" in a few combos lately :(

Any reports from the gang here?

Part of the reason I originally started looking at the Mesa's was their reputation for "bullet proof" quality so I'm hopefull that the rattles of my Marshalls and Fenders will be a thing of the past with an ED :)

Also wondering if the ED extension cabs are showing up anywhere (in case I do with a head) as I dont see any discussion about them?

Thanks to anyone who can share any insights on this!

I've had the same problem with combo's. My Marshall Vintage Modern sounded great except for that massive tube rattle. It was so bad that I swore off combo's forever. I now just prefer my bottles to be standing up, not hanging upside down. I bought the head and use it with a recto 2X12 cab for now. There is a pic of the 2X12 ED cab somewhere in this forum. I may have to add that to my x-mas list. I know the ED combo's don't rattle, but they do tend to run very hot. My little baby stack just purrs like a kitten with no issues whatsoever for over 3 months now. Best amp ever IMO. Hope this helps.

here is the extension cab thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40497

Thanks!
I just returned a Vintage Modern combo for that very reason...I have the 2266 Head and the 425A Cab but thought I might get the combo instead for portability...ack!
(Love the head/cab though)
Just received a Fender TRRI thats going back for the same issue :(
I have a Bassman LTD thats good as gold....looking for a grab and go amp that ...may....make the others obsolete and I'm really hoping the ED may be it.....fingers crossed!
Thanks again for the help!!

I have had mine for 6 weeks so far and the only issue I have are with the foot switch. I absolutely love it and would purchase it again in a heartbeat. It is a heavy beast, and my 43 year old back does not like having to move it when it comes time to practice or perform. I wish it had side handles instead of the single one on top. Any regrets I have melt away the second I plug in and start playing...

It works sporadically - then it will start switching on its own between modes. I was playing at church yesterday and the amp went into high gain mode during a nice slow worship song. It definitely woke the folks up in the back rows! I just disconnected it and finished up by switching modes manually.

i don't think a Mesa amp will rattle.
i played a Tremoverb combo loudly for 14 years live and rehearsing, every week, for 14 years and it never did.

The only way it will rattle is if you put a snake inside.

No rattle on my ED 1x12. The thing is, though, it makes everything in my house rattle.
The ED has monstrous tone and a massive low end.

I hope everyone enjoys their ED as much as i do.

I had a 2x12 combo....no rattle.
I have a head...........no rattle.
Rock solid, battleship heavy....worth it IMO 8)

Latest posts

Back