-

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if the ferrite bead is jumpered, will this mean the amp could pick up radio signals easier (a la Spinal Tap at the AF base)? Or, what is the source of such high frequency interference ? I'm no EE obviously, just curious... Maybe this is something like the CD vs. Hi Res audio debate where people say you gotta have a 192kHz sample rate, even though the human ear can't hear anything above the 44.1kHz sample rate (22 kHz soundwaves).

Anyway, it seems the Mark V ice pick debate will continue for a while. My amp has no hard mods, pure vanilla from the factory. I've stated earlier the speaker placement, wall reflections and volume (response of hearing) can have a large effect on the "ice pick". The AT7 in V4 and/or V6 was a brilliant way to tame things. But, I may try this iron bead jumpering business since it would be easy to snip the jumper if there was some bad effect. Sounds like earlier amp models did not have the ferrite bead anyway.

I personally wish Boogie would post more on this forum. It's not like the forum is overloaded with posts and impossible to keep up! :lol:

is the ferrite bead directly off of the gray wire from the guitar input? I see something there On the PCB right next to the gray wire that is a small resistor sized dark gray cylinder.

I can’t seem to post a photo here.

I’m sure Boogie is loving this, hacks like me getting work instructions based on loose descriptions of what’s what. Haha. I’m taking the amp to an authorized service center tomorrow for reverb repair and I’d like to have them jumper the ferrite bead while they are in there.

I may well give this a try, I've had my early V for 12 months now and have the same fizzy sounding overdrive and lack of fatness I've become used to over the last 15 years of using boogie, if it doesn't its toast and I'll spend my money on a decent British amp where I get proper support and decent techs, its been into the local "approved" tech now 3 times and like you its my shitty Suhr/Fender/Prs guitars, my shitty playing/strings/ears etc, it comes to something when the baby 25 watt V sounds better than the full fat

I dropped mine off in the shop today for other work. When I asked the guy to jumper the ferrite bead he thought it was pretty strange. He said “it’s in there to clean up signal, it ‘s pretty common. But whatever, I’ll jumper it”. So, I’m curious if it makes any difference in top end graininess. If not, the amp is out of chassis at this point anyway so I’ll just snip the jumper and prevent air traffic controller chatter at my next gig.

Latest posts

Back