• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

'83 Fender Concert II head- Boogie modded

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babow2

Reaction score
I am reluctantly selling my beloved 1983 Fender Concert II head. The stock design is a P2P wired, 50 watt, 2x6L6, two channel amp, designed by Paul Rivera for Fender, to compete with Mesa Boogie which at that time was making great market share gains.

STOCK FEATURES: Channel 1 is pure Fender cleans. Period. Channel 2 has the Mesa-style cascading Vol/Gain/Master controls.. Each channel has its own tone controls(unlike the Mesa Marks of that era), along with global reverb and presence. Unlike most Fender and Mesa amps, this amp’s FX loop has separate send and return level controls. Direct out and multiple speaker outputs complete the back panel.

MODIFICATIONS: My amp was modded by Keith Reininger of The Amp Lab in San Jose. Ch 1 was Blackfaced, and a master volume control was added, so you can adjust how clean or gritty you want your cleans. Ch 2 was given increased gain, as well as push/pull pots for mid-gain, bright and tone shift. Using those additional controls enables you to create classic Mesa rich, saturated sustaining lead tones or Marshall-esque cutting tones. Also, the 2 button footswitch was modified to control channel 1/2, and add Lead boost, a pre-set volume/power boost to the lead channel. Finally, there is a pentode/triode switch added on the back, which has a minor effect on the feel of the tone.

PRICE: Currently, stock Concerts are selling in the $500-700 range (heck, the stock footswitch sells for $125 if you can find one). The mods were in the $300 range. I am asking $800 for the amp head which is in fantastic condition, plus shipping.

While it doesn’t have a fancy grill and doesn’t look like a high end expensive amp, it is a “sleeper” as the tones are as boutique as a Bogner (I owned a Shiva). This amp has all the tone and features of amps costing 5x as much. So, if you are focused on tone, not on how sexy the amp looks, this is the amp for you.

Photos are at http://babow2.bayareaguitarswap.yuku.com/fs/ls/id/85672

$800. Call or email me, Brent Babow. [email protected], 707-235-9824.

Back