6l6 in stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
Anyone heard of this being done?

I know that many people prefer EL34 tubes in Rectifier series amps...was wondering if there is any word on a stiletto running with 6L6 tubes.

I know it would call for the amp being modded.....dont really want to do it myself. Just wondering....

Rocky said:

I know that many people prefer EL34 tubes in Rectifier series amps...was wondering if there is any word on a stiletto running with 6L6 tubes.

I know it would call for the amp being modded.....dont really want to do it myself. Just wondering....

Why would you want to ? EL34s is the whole point of the amp .

Barry said:
Rocky said:

Why would you want to ? EL34s is the whole point of the amp .

Thats what I was thinking to..... I love my stage 1 stiletto trident so much I put E34L's in my Rectifer as well.....

Once, when I was a kid, and had my 1st tube amp, I never once thought of it as a toy! Like, ya know, "I wonder if I put these tubes or those tubes in it, what would happen, ya know, if I get it modded, maybe"? :roll:

I was in a shop and a guy was trying out a stiletto...he asked if it was available with 6L6 power tubes.

Kinda got me thinking and I thought it was worth a shot asking if anyone knew of anyone that had modded a stiletto.

I have a friend at a local shop...they are a mesa dealer. Rich Longacre at Mesa told them that there is at least one Stiletto with 6L6 power tubes...it was made for Kirk Hammett

jackieTHEjokeman said:
It can not be done. You will damage your amp if you try. There is no mod that would even allow you to do it.
Not true, you would only need to change one resistor to adjust the bias for 6L6s. A switch in parallel could be fitted with another resistor to allow switching between EL34 and 6L6 biasing. I know because with my Series One Single Rectifier I did the same thing to allow EL34s, whereas normally only 6L6s could be used.

jbird said:
Once, when I was a kid, and had my 1st tube amp, I never once thought of it as a toy! Like, ya know, "I wonder if I put these tubes or those tubes in it, what would happen, ya know, if I get it modded, maybe"? :roll:
What's wrong with wanting to experiment with tone?

stadidas said:
What's wrong with wanting to experiment with tone?
I prefer experimenting with the tone in my fingers? I figure on investing in a nice piece of gear and playing it! I appreciate the builders of certain instruments, and the intentions they've afforded me! That's all!

I think the question is a valid one. I've wondered the same thing, though I dont think i would go through the trouble of modding my stiletto to fit it with 6l6s. I LOVE EL-34s. Though I imagine with 6l6s, it would sound maybe like a more refined, more cutting Recto.

however instead of going through all that trouble, I think a better alternative would be getting KT77s or EL-34Ls in the stilleto. no modding needed, and these types of tubes have more low end than your regular el-34

Guys have been modding Marshalls to 6L6 tubes for years. Really no different with a Stiletto when you look at it that way....amp modding is a tradition that can include any of the builders out there.

Mods arent exclusive to young players, there are tinkerers of all ages out there.

Having said that...I like my stiletto just the way it is.

inkwachemis said:
however instead of going through all that trouble, I think a better alternative would be getting KT77s

+1,000,000,000

I fell in love with the JJ KT77s as soon as I powered up my Stiletto. The higher the volume goes, the bigger the smile on my face grows :D

Flashpoint said:
inkwachemis said:
however instead of going through all that trouble, I think a better alternative would be getting KT77s

+1,000,000,000

I fell in love with the JJ KT77s as soon as I powered up my Stiletto. The higher the volume goes, the bigger the smile on my face grows :D

how do the kt77s compare to el34s in the stilletto? post your findings!

+1,000,000,000

I fell in love with the JJ KT77s as soon as I powered up my Stiletto. The higher the volume goes, the bigger the smile on my face grows

I'm thinking about that change, have been for a while what kinda music do you play? what kinda changes does the kt77s make in tone. i'm trying to go a little heavier but the el34s on take me so far

jordan

krankitup said:
+1,000,000,000

I fell in love with the JJ KT77s as soon as I powered up my Stiletto. The higher the volume goes, the bigger the smile on my face grows

I'm thinking about that change, have been for a while what kinda music do you play? what kinda changes does the kt77s make in tone. i'm trying to go a little heavier but the el34s on take me so far

jordan

cleans should get a little cleaner and overall there will be more bass added... its sounds like a el34/6l6 hybrid.... cleans and girth of a 6l6, with the aggressive tight attack of a el34..... they sound awesome in rectos BTW

Rocky said:
I have a friend at a local shop...they are a mesa dealer. Rich Longacre at Mesa told them that there is at least one Stiletto with 6L6 power tubes...it was made for Kirk Hammett

Kirk would do that because he's a 6l6 freak.... i've read somewhere that a bunch of his marshalls were also modded to have 6l6s in them... but at the end of the day his tone will always be wah-wah-wah-wah 8)

i think there is a really good point to bring out here.... the "marshall" or in this case "stiletto" tone is not really dictated by the power tubes but more the design and the preamp.... a stiletto will still sound like a stiletto with 6l6s.... it will definitely be different than say el34s which will be different from kt77s but at the end of the day it still sounds like a stiletto..... their are way bigger tone changes to be had in switching out cabs, speakers, guitars and pickups... same thing goes for rectos.... power tubes to me is more about dynamics and the response of the amp ( some call it mojo) rather than the sonic tone your ears interpret to your brain

Here is a KT77 review that I posted a while back:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19011&highlight=

A couple of months ago I changed back to the stock EL34's. The low end is tighter, and I seem to have lost something with the KT77's that made me like the amp in the first place. I was really into them for a while, and I'm sure I will probably change my mind again.

The biggest plus that I found with the KT77's is that they are great for cleans, and give the amp more headroom overall, if that is what you are looking for.

The JJ's aren't that expensive ($16.00 each) and are definately worth a shot, and are nice to have as an option

Sorry about reviving an old post, but I was just discussing this issue with somebody the other day.

I understand that the Stilettos are made for EL34's or KT77's. And I know that if you put in a normal grade (not too hot & not too cold) set of 6L6's in the Stiletto, then things will fry.

However, I see no reason why you can't get a cold set of 6L6's and take some measurements to make sure they're not running too hot. Seems to me it's the same principal as a lot of Roadster owners are doing - running cold or somewhat cold 6L6's with EL34 bias switch on.

Comments?

I want to try kt77s. Probably getting them from eurotubes. Is there some kind of rating I need to ask for specifically being a Mesa Boogie Stiletto? Mesa said the tubes must pull from 35-40. How does this work since Mesa's are a fixed bias? Thanks. Really sorry. I know this has been covered a million times. I keep reading stuff and it all seems like "try at your own risk". No real direct answer. So a step by step would be informative and appreciated.

Latest posts

Back