.50 Caliber Cooling Fan Question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combination

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I have an original .50 Caliber from 1987 - the EL-84 version, which is also equipped with an EVM Black Shadow.

I'm considering having a tech install a cooling fan in it because it runs so hot, but I have no idea what this usually costs?

Can I get a cooling fan put in which can be switched on/off? Is this going to be a lot extra?

And if doing this mod will mess with the sound of the amp in any shape/form, please let me know!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This is a "must have" for this amp based on the heat that the EL84s throw off. How is the board looking? Any signs of heat damage? I bought my .50cal brand new in '88 and a preamp tube shorted out due to the heat about 6 mos later. My amp guy installed the fan and it works great, no affect on the tone of the amp.

I spoke with Boogie and they recommend to not install the fan, because the chassis needs to be originally designed with the fan in mind.

They are aware that the original .50 Caliber runs hot, but they also mentioned that any heat-related issues are extremely rare with this model.

So...guess it's back to finding the right clip-on fan for the job!

Latest posts

Back