3 Channel Recto Presence Mod....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you measuring the pots? Mesa doesn't use a 400K pot. The pot you took out was a 100K and the pot you installed was a 25K. Channel 2 on that amp uses the 25K for the presence control. Changing the pot really shouldn't have done anything you couldn't have done by adjusting the pot.
Jerry

FJA Mods said:
How are you measuring the pots? Mesa doesn't use a 400K pot. The pot you took out was a 100K and the pot you installed was a 25K. Channel 2 on that amp uses the 25K for the presence control. Changing the pot really shouldn't have done anything you couldn't have done by adjusting the pot.
Jerry

I didn't measure anything. I was going off of what the guy at Mesa told me. But thanks for the correction!

And before I was turning the pot all the way off and just simply wanted more of a channel 2 feel and range. And since the manual mentioned it, I thought why not.

Do you have sound clips? My biggest complaint about the 3 channel Rectos was just that - too much high end fizz for what I want. I'd love to get the versatility of the 3 channel, and I'm curious to hear the difference.

If you could post something, that would be awesome! Also, how does it stack up to your Rev. E?

TheMagicEight said:
Do you have sound clips? My biggest complaint about the 3 channel Rectos was just that - too much high end fizz for what I want. I'd love to get the versatility of the 3 channel, and I'm curious to hear the difference.

If you could post something, that would be awesome! Also, how does it stack up to your Rev. E?

I dont have anyway to record sound clips Im sorry.

I too hated the high end fizz and with the pot changed out, its very close to Channel 2, but without the midrange honk. Just straight molten metal.

And to compare it to the Rev. E., the 3 Channel is a very different gain structure. The Rev. E. has more 'crunch' than super tight punch. Sounds like a super hot-rodded Marshall. Kind of. Which isn't bad at all. If that makes sense. For shows and playing around, I will be sticking to the 3 Channel for sure. For recording or something like that, I will use a combo of the Rev. E. and the 3 Channel.

Hope this helps.

fluff191 said:

I too hated the high end fizz and with the pot changed out, its very close to Channel 2, but without the midrange honk. Just straight molten metal.

And to compare it to the Rev. E., the 3 Channel is a very different gain structure. The Rev. E. has more 'crunch' than super tight punch. Sounds like a super hot-rodded Marshall. Kind of. Which isn't bad at all. If that makes sense. For shows and playing around, I will be sticking to the 3 Channel for sure. For recording or something like that, I will use a combo of the Rev. E. and the 3 Channel.

Hope this helps.
It does, and makes me want to pick up another Recto! For me, I switched over to the 2 channel because of that issue, but it seems like you've worked it out and gotten something great.

The 3 channel with a presence mod must have a more scooped, cutting sound? Thanks for the reply!

TheMagicEight said:
fluff191 said:

Hope this helps.
It does, and makes me want to pick up another Recto! For me, I switched over to the 2 channel because of that issue, but it seems like you've worked it out and gotten something great.

The 3 channel with a presence mod must have a more scooped, cutting sound? Thanks for the reply!

Yeah thats exactly whats it does. You CAN dial it in without the mod, but are working in such a narrow margin of the pot throw that I thought it would be worth-while to just do the mod the manual describes. And it was!

Wow thats a great tone from a 2 Channel. My Rev. E. doesnt sound like that. Double the fuzziness and thats what it sounds like.

Yeah they are kind of harsh. I originally had a set of 81/85's and hated them. I was thinking about trying the new X-Series from EMG though.

fluff191 said:
Yeah they are kind of harsh. I originally had a set of 81/85's and hated them. I was thinking about trying the new X-Series from EMG though.

I've heard from people how they like the 2 channel Duals better than the 3 channel ones. I'm curious about the pots on the two channel head vs the 3 channel one. (I play an old blackface 2 channel dual which I love)

My problem with the rectos are the clean channel although, I am gonna try the pressence mod on mine either way. could the same possible mods apply to the clean channel by just replacing a couple of pots instead of tweaking the actual circuit??? I'd like a better mid and treble control without overdriving the channel....you know, SQUEAKY CLEAN!!! maybe even a better control for the gain to increase headroom...although, i dont know if this is possible??? if it was, then i wouldnt sell my head!!!!

RoadKinger483 said:
My problem with the rectos are the clean channel although, I am gonna try the pressence mod on mine either way. could the same possible mods apply to the clean channel by just replacing a couple of pots instead of tweaking the actual circuit??? I'd like a better mid and treble control without overdriving the channel....you know, SQUEAKY CLEAN!!! maybe even a better control for the gain to increase headroom...although, i dont know if this is possible??? if it was, then i wouldnt sell my head!!!!

You could apply the same thing to the clean channel, sure. I guess all you would have to do is find the ohms rating for each pot and increase accordingly. All it will really do is give you more range (as opposed to cutting the range on the 3rd Channel). Let us know if you do decide to do it!

I'll probably try if for sure!!! i wanna be able to have more eange on lowering the mids and taming the gain that the treble adds when you raise it above 12 o'clock...maybe that would be a gain and treble replacement issue???

Possibly, but be careful with the Treble pot, as that controls the amount of bass, mid and presence in the tone stack for that channel. Good Luck!!

You're all mad! Haha, just kidding, I think that people need to be aware before making mods, is that the axe you are using will have a big role in the characteristics of the sound, and the type of "tone" you are looking for... Well in my experience with a Solo 50, and my current Dual that has been the case anyway.

What works for one player, may not work for the next guy.

And I have found that at the end of the day, a cheap guitar, plugged into a high end amp, still sounds like, a cheap guitar being played through a decent amp.

volatileNoise said:
You're all mad! Haha, just kidding, I think that people need to be aware before making mods, is that the axe you are using will have a big role in the characteristics of the sound, and the type of "tone" you are looking for... Well in my experience with a Solo 50, and my current Dual that has been the case anyway.

What works for one player, may not work for the next guy.

And I have found that at the end of the day, a cheap guitar, plugged into a high end amp, still sounds like, a cheap guitar being played through a decent amp.

That is absolutely right. I did this mod after putting in high quality pickups, upgrading my cables and improving EVERYTHING else before messing with the amp.

YellowJacket said:
fluff191 said:

I've heard from people how they like the 2 channel Duals better than the 3 channel ones. I'm curious about the pots on the two channel head vs the 3 channel one. (I play an old blackface 2 channel dual which I love)

I'm curious about this as well. If I am not pleased with the performance of my presence circuit (on the red channel) of my 2ch Dual Rec, can I make a similar adjustment? If so, how do I go about deciding what kind of adjustment to make (meaning, I know how it sounds, but how do i know what physical adjustments to make to alter that sound the way I want it)?

Thanks you guys for the useful info...I enjoy reading the technical info on the triple rec

Back