2x12 ^ Recto vs 2x12> Recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
I'm putting this here because my next amp will be a MV25 or an MV. I want to get a 2x12 Recto cab to go with it. I would also use it with my Mini Rec and Trans Atlantic's. I wonder how they compare sound-wise. I've read comments about the horizontal version needing to be off the floor. The vertical version would solve that,and is visually and functionally more appealing to me. I'd rather have a vertical cab.

But how do they compare sonically? I've read that some have said that the vertical cab doesn't sound as good, but I haven't seen the comments, just the references to them. Also, it seems the vertical cab costs more (??) and if you look new and used on ebay etc. there are about 10-1 more horizontal 2x12s on the the market. Also curious to me.

I have a mini rec that I play through a 2x12 vertical recto cab. Sounds fantastic. Great thump and cut.

I also have a horizontal 2x12 recto cab that I usually play my Electradyne through. Sounds incredible (doesn't hurt that the Dyne is 100W).

I can verify that the upward-facing top speaker in the vertical definitely gives you more mids than the horizontal. And less thump (the horizontal is all thump). Part of that is angle (you get more mids from the horizontal if you put your ears near the floor), part is location (the floor reflects the low frequencies very effectively), and I believe that part is geometry. The vertical is essentially half of an angled 4x12, and is about 2/3 as wide as a full 4x12. So it has a very different geometry from the horizontal.

I find that the horizontal stacks better, packs better, and accommodates a full-width head on top, much more so than the vertical. I think this is why you see more horizontals. With a horizontal you can easily run 1/4 stack, use two for stereo on either side of the stage, stack the same two for a half-stack, mono or stereo, stack 3 for 3/4 stack, etc. They are way more versatile.

I can't say which I prefer. Probably one of each. Which I have :wink:

Mic'd they both sound the same.... In person you will get a little more thump out of the horizontal but you can get the vertical to get close by taking off the casters or laying it on its side.

i think the vertical sounds better. all the thump you need, but punchier and more balanced.
i've owned a half dozen or so of each over the years.

I've owned the vertical and played through a horizontal a bit as well when I owned my Mark IV. There is a bit of boxyness with the vert because the mid range seems to be accentuated but if you remove the casters so the cab is making contact with the floor you get more low end.
The horizontal was very balanced and probably my favorite 2x12 cab. If you leave the front casters on and remove the rears it angles up at you perfectly.

Latest posts

Back