12L vs. Others: Does the 12L make your amp sound gainer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
If I run my III through my thiele, it sounds like X. If I run it through a stiletto cab with vintage 30s, it sounds like Y, and I have to turn up the gain to get it to sound closer to X. The celestions sound less saturated.

Do ya'll think it is because of the flatter nature of the speaker? I can think maybe the high end of the 12L lets more clipping show itself, while the celestion's blanket effect makes me crave more.

On the other hand the bass response of the EV is quite flattering and more bass can be used without muddiness.

I think its basically because of the EVL's being "more accurate" thanks to their higher power ratings. V30's break up very early, which is why I don't really like them... put any volume to it and V30's make everything sound like V30's. It takes a lot more juice to get an EVL into enough breakup mode to start affecting the apparent "gain".

phyrexia said:
If I run my III through my thiele, it sounds like X. If I run it through a stiletto cab with vintage 30s, it sounds like Y, and I have to turn up the gain to get it to sound closer to X. The celestions sound less saturated.

... Do ya'll think it is because of the flatter nature of the speaker? I can think maybe the high end of the 12L lets more clipping show itself, while the celestion's blanket effect makes me crave more.
That's is the efficiency of EV-12L, the highs are more pronounce. Some call it brittle ear piercing while other prefer that in your face treble. Celestion tends to round off the treble which some call it "the blanket" effect while others call it smoother and warmer.

Let you ears determine which you prefer. Don't let the EVs lovers or Celestion Lovers persuade you.

I gigged with a IIC+ combo w/ EV and a 2x12 cab with v30s (the upright Caliber cab). 95% of the time when at home I just ran through the v30s.

I have a single recording of a wedding I did using just the combo (EVM) and it is the best recorded tone I have ever had. Very smooth, creamy, and articulate, believe it or not.

That's the funny thing about amps/speakers. What may sound brittle or bright in the bedroom sounds fantastic in a live mix. You might try dragging a drummer down to your local rehearsal space and do a shootout.

I mean, I'll never use V30s again. :D I've known this since I struck the first chord through my Mark III after I put the EV in it.

And I don't mean at earth shattering volumes either - I have heard an EV break up before I blew one up, and I've heard a 4x12 of V30s break up but what I'm experiencing isn't a that kind of volume.

I still think a v30 halfstack has its place but an EV in a thiele and one in a combo does the job for me.

Now I do have a Celestion Blue in an AC15 that I like a lot, but it's scary to use the III with it. I'd like to pick up a Gold for piece of mind, but I don't know where I'd put it for now :)

You guys are getting efficiency and headroom mixed up. EVs and V30s have the same efficiency rating.

If you're going to post some random statement about swapping speakers, would you like to contribute to the thread by clarifying your thoughts regarding apparent gain vs speaker type?

phyrexia said:
If you're going to post some random statement about swapping speakers, would you like to contribute to the thread by clarifying your thoughts regarding apparent gain vs speaker type?

Sorry, I posted this after reading breogan's thread with his IIa and Weber speaker.

While I noticed only a minor increase gain with the CR, I did notice a bit more compression and warmth. Of course, there is tradeoff with the headroom, as the CR is only rated at 60 watts. I'm more of a fan of early speaker breakup, so YMMV.

See it all depends on the sound you're going for. A lot of the time the EV is perfect for me. If I want lower gain sounds, I use the Altec 4178C in my combo. But if I ever pick up a IIB or a blackface fender, that Altec is going in that amp.

Hell if JBLs weren't a million dollars I wouldn't mind picking one of them up and trying it out. Or a Celestion Gold, I think that might be my next speaker purchase.

Latest posts

Back