09 3ch Dual Rectifier FX loop - MAJOR issues Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alheeren

Reaction score
My band did an outdoor show and I kept getting major volume spikes coming through my amp. I'd be playing and suddenly the volume would raise really high for a second or two then kick out of it. It wasn't until I got home and hooked up my head today that I think I found the problem and I know the gurus here will have a solution or at least great advice!

I run my individual channel master volumes at roughly noon. I adjust the master level to taste (whether at practice or performing in a venue) I don't mess with the channel volumes at all since I have the amp dialed in just where I want all three channels.

I have the foot switch control set to FTSW and keep the loop active at all times. I activate the effects I want via my floor board.

My Send is at about 11 o'clock (any higher and I get too much noise)
My Return (mix) is just about max

Front end: (wireless or cord) Guitar > Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah > Boss TU-2 Tuner > Morpheus Drop Tune >Boss CS-3 Comp/Sust > Boss BF-3 Flanger > Way Huge Green Rhino Overdrive MkII > Boss NS-2 Noise Reduction > Morley Optical Volume > Front input.

My loop goes: DR SEND >Boss CE-5 Chorus > Boss DD-7 Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp > DR RETURN

Last night I experienced volume "surges"
I had the Master Volume at about 11 o'clock
Today I hooked up JUST my footswitch and ran my guitar direct to the front.
I put a patch cable from the SEND to the RETURN.

Here's my diagnosis:
With the FTSW engaged and the Master Volume at about noon I'm just not getting volume. This thing should stupid-loud!
I switch it to "Loop Bypass" and Wham! I get the individual channel levels which are much higher.
Switch it back to FTSW and it's almost like it cuts my volume in half!

Theory: With my Master volume at about 11 o'clock position during the show I wasn't getting the volume and once in a while the ACTUAL setting would kick in and I'd get a brief volume surge.

I've had the amp for just over a year and bought it new.

Thanks for looking and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1st thing I'd try was to just run a short patch lead between the send and return and see if its the same. takes any bad pedals or pedalboard leads out of the equation

cheameup said:
1st thing I'd try was to just run a short patch lead between the send and return and see if its the same. takes any bad pedals or pedalboard leads out of the equation

oh I see you did that. missed that bit. my bad . sorry thats all :oops: I had

Replace V4. That's the driver tube for the effects loop. Sounds like your tube is on it's way out the door. Bypassing the effects loop takes this tube completely out of the circuit, so that would explain why you're getting volume with the loop bypassed.

mikey383 said:
Replace V4. That's the driver tube for the effects loop. Sounds like your tube is on it's way out the door. Bypassing the effects loop takes this tube completely out of the circuit, so that would explain why you're getting volume with the loop bypassed.

Hey Mikey

on a side note

Is there specific brand or type of tube for v4 that really helps the loop tone ? I was in the recording studio on the weekend and used the loop bypassed sound for a couple of tracks that I dont need the effects loop. Tone on all channels is so much more pure and alive with it byapssed.

if I could get it closer to that with the loop I'd be stoked

mikey383 said:

First of all, this is also my answer.

Secondly, bypassing the effects loop takes more than just a tube out of the signal path; it removes an entire circuit! You can read in every forum on here that there is a noticeable difference between engaging the effects loop and bypassing it. So while I am admittedly not one of the tube snobs on here, I also don't think there will be much of an improvement, if any at all.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :D

I was hoping for that reply. I'll give Mesa a shout and order up a 12AX7 to replace the bad one.

On a side note...
I have no spare tubes (obviously)...
From "seasoned players" perspectives...
How many of each type of tube do YOU normally have on hand?
6L6's, 5U4GB's, 12AX7's?

This board and it's members ROCK!

alheeren said:
From "seasoned players" perspectives...
How many of each type of tube do YOU normally have on hand?
6L6's, 5U4GB's, 12AX7's?

I usually keep a few spare sets of 6L6's (8 total), 2 extra rectifier tubes (GZ34's) and about 25 or so 12ax7's.

I use the old Mesa Chinese pre's from the early 90's and have managed to find and buy about 8 of them. Those are the ones I actually use for my Recto. The rest are just 'let's see how this sounds' tubes.

Secondly, bypassing the effects loop takes more than just a tube out of the signal path; it removes an entire circuit! You can read in every forum on here that there is a noticeable difference between engaging the effects loop and bypassing it. So while I am admittedly not one of the tube snobs on here, I also don't think there will be much of an improvement, if any at all.

I realize the issue with the loop on the DR with the loop on/off and volume issues. Up until recently I didn't really have this problem and I have had "unity gain" set pretty well and dialed in for my pedal board. This current issue I'm having is WAY more volume drop than I ever had before. It blatantly stands out. If replacing the V4 pre-amp tube doesn't fix the issue to my satisfaction THEN I'll start to worry about other possible issues! :)

alheeren said:

I realize the issue with the loop on the DR with the loop on/off and volume issues. Up until recently I didn't really have this problem and I have had "unity gain" set pretty well and dialed in for my pedal board. This current issue I'm having is WAY more volume drop than I ever had before. It blatantly stands out. If replacing the V4 pre-amp tube doesn't fix the issue to my satisfaction THEN I'll start to worry about other possible issues! :)

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying to look for other possible issues. I was saying to replace the tube and not worry about finding a "magical" one.

Back