Boxy ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
Just received my Fillmore 25 head and the Fillmore 19 cab. Sounds a little bit boxy, whatever the settings. Could it be because the speaker is not "broken in" yet ? If so, how long to break in a speaker ?

There are many factors in determining what causes boxiness in tone, from the room you're in, speaker break-in, guitar pick-up, settings and of course, whether you are comparing amps.

A typical speaker break-in period also depends on volume and duration. If you play in a band, after the first practice you'll notice a slight change, after 20 hours at band volume level you will notice a big difference.

When you asked the question first, plan-x, I was not near my amp so I went to Mesa's site to see what was the speaker inside the Fillmore 19 cab and it says " Celestion Custom 90". So that was my first answer. But just to make sure, I went upstair, where is the cab to check what was in it and there it was, in big bold black " Black Shadow". So, that was the second answer !

Now, are they the same speaker the "Celestion Custom 90" and the Black Shadow" ?

Yep, same speaker. I'm going with the break in theory also. Scoop your mids a bit to compensate for Boxiness? Generally 1x12's will be boxier than other cabs. I have a 1x12 open back, no name cab with a C-90 that sounds good with my Fillmore. Really good! Play the snot out of that speaker.

OP, how does the 19-inch cab sound now that the speaker is broken in?
I've got an avatar contemporary 2x12 through which my Fillmore 25 sounds amazing. Problem is, I don't want to always lug it around so I'm looking to get one of the 1x12 cabs for rehearsals and smaller shows.
Do you wish you have gone with the 23-inch cab or are you happy now that the speaker is broken in?

Like Markedman said, the "boxy" sound is quite complex. But things are getting much better. I think that the main reason was on the side of the speaker. I don't play often at the moment and not loud at all. It took all this time to see that there is now a good difference now that the speaker seems to be broken in. Every day sounds better and I'm already enjoying the quality of this super amp. Thanks all for your inputs.

For "soonermav", I don't know what the 23 inch cab would do but I can assure you that the 19 is, for me, like a dream.

My favorite speaker so far for my Fillmore is the Celestion Redback I have had it in a open 1x12 and a closed 2x12 spectacular rock sounds.

Gordybaby said:
My favorite speaker so far for my Fillmore is the Celestion Redback I have had it in a open 1x12 and a closed 2x12 spectacular rock sounds.

Off topic - your username seems to tell me 'fellow Canadian...'

Latest posts

Back