OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

This was another thread here and I'll admit that I'm digging these settings for now. A bit non-standard but as always, dial in with your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-1jVVCLMQ

No idea how accurate this is for obtaining IIc+ tone, but it is a great crunchy big tone for sure. All settings o'clock:

Mark IV mode, Gain 2-3, Presence 10:30, T 2, M 7 (off), B 9. Full 90W power, pentode
EQ sliders: 80 just below top line, 240 just above mid line, 750 on bottom line or just below, 2200 just below top line, 6600 between bottom and mid line.

Hey all,
I'm brand new to this -- just got a Mark V.25 head and cabinet. Absolutely loving what I'm hearing so far. That said, I'm a rookie, and there are just so many options for tweaking the tone, I'm getting lost in it all!

I've got a PRS Mccarty 594, and I'm looking to get a Slash Appetite for Destruction tone. What would be my best bet for settings? Can anyone post those?

Also, I believe Slash's solos are usually played with the bridge pickup -- sound right?

Thanks much!

Otis

mace said:
From another thread (saturation mod):

[

Here is a video from halloween (Izzy Spock) and I think I was in 45W mode with the diodes rectify-ing. vertical 2x12 mesa cabinet. Recording was a mix of the little Zoom 4HN and some direct channels.

Anyhoo, enjoy some local hacks out having fun. This video gives the best idea for the tone because the ryhthm part is somewhat alone, especially at the beggining.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs-4Whus7A

Slash was not in costume, that is that guy’s real hair!

Cool man! Your guitar fits nicely in the mix.

mace said:
Hi,

This was another thread here and I'll admit that I'm digging these settings for now. A bit non-standard but as always, dial in with your ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO-1jVVCLMQ

No idea how accurate this is for obtaining IIc+ tone, but it is a great crunchy big tone for sure. All settings o'clock:

Mark IV mode, Gain 2-3, Presence 10:30, T 2, M 7 (off), B 9. Full 90W power, pentode
EQ sliders: 80 just below top line, 240 just above mid line, 750 on bottom line or just below, 2200 just below top line, 6600 between bottom and mid line.

Hahah Nice one. Yeah it does sound Izzyish. It was a Mark III he used on that album, I believe. You're nailing the sound that that band missed after Izzy's departure. That aggressive, yet not super gainy big fatness Vs The more scooped Slash sound = Early GnR awesomeness. Great song choice.

I took a different approach to get a high gain tone out of my Mark V.

Gain: Noon
Master: 9 o'clock
Presence: 1 o'clock
Treble: 2:30
Mid: Noon
Bass: 11 o'clock

Graphic EQ in V configuration with

Running TS9 in front to tighten the bottom end like you would a rectifier.

I could never get enough low end until I tried this

revile63 said:
I took a different approach to get a high gain tone out of my Mark V.

Gain: Noon
Master: 9 o'clock
Presence: 1 o'clock
Treble: 2:30
Mid: Noon
Bass: 11 o'clock

Graphic EQ in V configuration with

Running TS9 in front to tighten the bottom end like you would a rectifier.

I could never get enough low end until I tried this

Which channel was this on?

I'm finding I loose so much low end on the MK4 channel and not sure how to bring it back without the flub.

I have recently come across a trick that for me has completely changed my relationship with my Mark V 90 watt. The 12AT7 trick but with steroids'. I recently came across a deal for 12at7 tubes (phillips/jan) and wanted to try putting all 12at7's in my Mark V. So I filled it up, all 7 preamp slots, the amp went to a really responsive lower gain affair(the tone pots became more usable and the amp on all channels dropped in gain), This was not the end though(and I really have to suggest this next trick to everyone with a decent jigsaw or the ability to woodwork to a minor extent, remove the wicker basket weave panel on the front and CUT AWAY the excess wood giving you access to the tubes from the front )(the panel is VERY robust and can stand to lose some wood from the center, be sure to not damage your amp (I removed the chassis) and remember to not cut too near where the screws thread in), start rolling 12ax7 tubes into various positions to increase the gain where you want it(certain key positions will begin to stand out....v-1 for channel 1, v-3 for channel 2, v-4 for channel 3 (v-1 also has an effect on all subsequent channels so I found using a 12at7 here makes the first channel chimey and glorious and lowers the input gain of the amp so you get that low front growl from earlier Mark amps, this was my real objection to removing the input gain control is I like that lower input grunt that Mesa took away from this amp)....now set channel 1 up for tweed, max gain settings, tone controls after 12o'clock, boost on, then hit it with a tube screamer and this channel becomes THE defining Mark series tone, with the ability to roll off and become clean with lowered volume or a really serious crunch machine with the volume at max on your guitar, kick the tube screamer for the high gain tone and you will wind up saying What channel 2 and 3(not really because the 12at7 trick makes edge mode a serious contender for some unique tones and channel 3 is its own thing(think the tweed channel with the TS will be a seriously open Mark tone and your higher gain tones with all that extra compression are still on channel three, only they are really different because of the lowered input gain, I am currently running
v-1-phillips 12at7
v-2-phillips 12at7
v-3 -JJ12ax7
V-4-phillips 12at7
v-5-phillips 12at7
v-6-phillips 12at7
V-7 -Mesa R2 12ax7 (this can be a electro-harmonix 12ax7 as they are the same as a mesa r2, only make sure this tube is balanced, also I use a 12ax7 here because a 12at7 does not effect gain it only drops output volume if used in this last slot.)

Any questions feel free to ask and if you want a pic of the front cut out I did to make tube swapping easier I can send that to you.

Anyone have suggestions for "Strat" tones. Any of them - SRV, Jimi, Clapton, Johnson, etc.
Try the fat mode in channel 1. I like the strat on that channel, you can drive it a bit to get it to the edge of breakup. For the high gain stuff, I like the IIC+ and IV the best with single coils or humbuckers.

Latest posts

Back