Fillmore Overdrive Pedal Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebagjones

Reaction score
I took delivery of a Mesa Fillmore 100 Combo today. :shock: Hot holy hell this amp cooks. Most demos I’ve heard and reviews I’ve read are from people really digging into the tweed clean and edge-of-breakup tones but I’ve spent 95% on the high gain section with the gain at about 80% and it has an amazing classic and hard rock tone. Even sounded amazing with a strat with low output single coils, I bet a Tele would absolutely kill but unfortunately I don’t have one right now.
Anyways I’m thinking I would like an OD to push that tone into borderline metal territory on the very rare occasions I need it and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I’m thinking because of it’s fat low end something like an SD-1 May be a good fit but I’d like to see what others have used.

Im pushing my fillmore 50 with EP booster set to 'vintage' settings and with gain half way. Keeps the cleans clean and rips on OD channel to the level where I dont even touch the hi gain channel. For heavy stuff I have EQD Hoof set on 1/4 drive before EP. These two crashes bones

Thanks for the tip, I used to have one years ago but used it mostly for boosting the tube driver I was using for distortion at the time. I’ll have to check it out again. Out of curiosity are you using single coils or humbuckers?

Hi bud

I'm using single coils 99%. My main guitar is equipped with 3x Kinman E56 but EP does wonders with my 2xHB Music Man too.

EP booster is always on and I can't see myself playing without one. Just makes everything "more". Hoof as I said is before my EP so it enhances its character but I'm also using Vemuram Shanks ODS1 (essentially twist of Nobles ODR1) after EP for a bit different flavour - brighter, glassier tones with lots of presence and solid lows. These two ODs and EP on dirty channel and I have all my drive needs covered.

I'm also using octave up fuzz (King Tone Octaland) but thats whole different story

I've always had good luck with OCD style pedals. The other option I would suggest is something with more than just a single tone knob. Being able to dial in the right amount of bass, mids and treble really helps when boosting. The Seafoam Lighthouse boost has a couple of switches on the back that can help you dial in your boosted tone.

I use this with my Fillmore. Dual drive awesomeness!

Flux-Five-left-lg.jpg

Analogman modded sd-1 and solodallas storm is everything I ever wanted in a lead tone. Into my 100 watt Fillmore, its Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa and Joe Perry with just the volume and tone controls on my les Paul. Best amp I’ve owned in a long time. Straight in is Frampton comes alive in spades.

Yes! I was looking at the SD-1 type pedals, like the Boss SD-1W, MXR Custom Badass OD 77 and the Fulltone Fulldrive. I’ve recently fallen head over heals for the drive channel with the gain dimed. Sounds like every great classic rock record while still sounding like a Mesa. What an underrated amp, every channel is dynamite. Is there’s ever a second version I’d love to see three channels with individual wattage settings or master volumes (I run the clean channel very clean like a tweed-y blackface, but I have to keep the gain low and the master cranked and there’s a volume jump to the other channels), but I can’t complain. I actually think between this and the Triple Crown Mesa are making some of their best amps 50 years in.

Totally agree! Should of been a 3 ch amp. The Clean, Drive & Hi voicing are better than say a Timmy, SD-1,& Suhr Riot. In my cover band I have chosen to go with clean and Drive to get my first 2 ch's. I then use a Flux five to get a couple more ch's. The 5 band EQ helps with putting some thunder in the high gain. That pedal can also boost. It's been called a "Mark" in the box. If you're looking for more of a Recto modern high gain, I think the Throttle box and Throttle box EQ might scratch that itch. Wouldn't it be nice if the Fillmore had it's own forum.

I’ve a Filmore 50 combo. Ch 1 set to Ultra clean. Ch 2 set to drive for classic rock rhythm sounds. For solos I use an MXR micro amp - last in line of the effects to give Simple volume boost. For extra gain I have an OCD into the front of the amp but only rarely use this.

Regarding 3 channels - shame there wasn’t an option to footswitch between drive & hi - the jump in level isn’t massive - more mids and a bit more distortion; but not as much as you’d expect. Great amp. Does The Filmore belong in the Mark series category- kinda based on early Mk I & IIs - and it carries the Boogie badge as opposed to the Mesa Engineering badge.

I’m using a Kingsley harlot with mine (50w/112 combo) and it’s pretty remarkable imo, things kinda get brown and sizzly. Awesome. Also use the cannon from Function fx for the octavia thing. Honestly though this amp will sound great with pretty much anything you throw at it and this is really where something like an sd1 shines anyway.

J rocket .45 cal also kicks *** as a boost.

I have a 100 watt head into a friedman 1x12 with Celestion Redback. Best hard rock tone I have every had. Just sold a Friedman Twin sister today.

Analogman silver mod sd-1 and Soldallas storm. Music to my ears.

I use the Mesa Grid Slammer for leads with my Fillmore 50 combo. You can dial in the right amount of gain, tone, and volume easily. Sounds glorious!

Nerd said:
Hi bud

I'm using single coils 99%. My main guitar is equipped with 3x Kinman E56 but EP does wonders with my 2xHB Music Man too.

EP booster is always on and I can't see myself playing without one. Just makes everything "more". Hoof as I said is before my EP so it enhances its character but I'm also using Vemuram Shanks ODS1 (essentially twist of Nobles ODR1) after EP for a bit different flavour - brighter, glassier tones with lots of presence and solid lows. These two ODs and EP on dirty channel and I have all my drive needs covered.

I'm also using octave up fuzz (King Tone Octaland) but thats whole different story

Almost a year fast forward and I still have the EP with drive channel half way and the octaland to spice up the solos. All other overdrives are gone. I'm using Boss EQ-200 with drive channel too. Cutting bass, bumping low mids and overall boost a notch on front of the preamp and boosting the bass back again after the preamp. My strat is gone and I'm rocking my PRS CU24 almost 100%. The tone is solid and sooo inspiring. This amp stays. My Oranges are gone with the strats

I’m a huge fane of Rockett pedals. I have an Archer ikon, dude and .45 caliber in front of my fillmores ... heavenly!

I am using a Kingsley Page for a clean boost on my Fillmore 50 combo, set with just a touch of hair on it.

Latest posts

Back