Gibson SG Standard questions!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reynirs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a SG Standard and have been meaning to change the pickups. Was wondering if I could get some advise about p-up brands and combinations. . . ?

Also I was wondering If I could change the big pickguard to an "angel wing" pickguard. . . ?

i got one coming in today with emg`s installed. i`ll probably swap them out for some dimarzios. and +1 on the pickguard swap, pretty much a no-no. as for pickups what amp do you use and what style do you play?

I play In an instrumental funk band, but mainly I play in a band that plays at bars and such for people to dance and have fun, wich means a lot of cover songs.

Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck and Super Distortion in the bridge will handle a LOT of cover territory!

If you're playing mostly covers from the 50s-70s, I would go PAF or similar, or for a bit more lively playing, Duncan JB/Jazz is a good set that I've used. For 80s-Present, more edge. I like EVOs for that, though just about any of the Alnico pickups would probably sound great.

Sorry to say that big pickguard is there for a reason.It hides a whole lot and you can't go smaller.I put PAF,s in one for a friend and spent about 4 days playing it,and really enjoyed it.My son,s guitar player went with one of the Seymour Duncans and loves it.I have'nt heard it,but if this kid likes it,it's gotta be good.Good luck with your new guitar.I was gonna buy myself a new Les paul after the 1st. but if I don't,I was gonna try them or the new LP juniors

How old is your SG Standard? The newer ones have the '57 Classic, but the older ones had different ones. I personally really love the '57s and think they sound great (especially through the Mesa amp!). So if your guitar is an older one, I would suggest the '57. If you already have those pickups..... I have no ideas how to improve it. ;)

Reynirs said:
Hey guys, I have a SG Standard and have been meaning to change the pickups. Was wondering if I could get some advise about p-up brands and combinations. . . ?

I highly recommend Manlius Pickups. For the SG, I'd probably go with either the Landmark or the Fat Dianne. I installed the HR59s in my doublecut Les Paul. It was a fantastic transformation, getting rid of the Gibson 490/498 pair. The HR59s sound much more "woody", like late 1960s Gibson pickups. The clean sounds were probably the most obvious change, but the overdrive sounds from them were also a very pleasant surprise.

Compared to some of the other boutique brands, Manlius pickups are still a bargain, roughly $200/pair with covers.
http://www.manliusguitar.com/products/fat-diane-paf

Reynirs said:
Also I was wondering If I could change the big pickguard to an "angel wing" pickguard. . . ?

That depends, do you like screw holes showing? I won't be altering my '93 any time soon, other than a pickup change.

I have never ever seen anyone say go for it regarding changing your angel wing to a batwing.

So I just had to try on my Angus Young Sig. I ordered a batwing for a standard. Had to modify it slightly around the neck. I then cut off the screws needed for the upper part. Glued them to the pickguard. Put a adhesive thing underneath it to keep it laying flat. In the end I was pleased.

Back