Control 2 Mark IV's from 1 Mark IV, FU-3 footswitch..? Can I?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Wave

Reaction score
I want to build a TRUE stereo rig. Meaning, ...2 Mark IV's, each controlled by 1 original Mark IV FU-3 footswitch.
Each Mark IV's input would come from the Left/Right outputs of a HX Effects pedal. Left output to Left amp, Right output to Right amp.

My question is, since the FU-3 has an XLR type connector, ...if I buy an XLR splitter, or direct box of some sort, to split the FU-3's XLR cable, so I can go to each amps Footswitch socket, so I can channel switch BOTH amps from one pedal, ....would it even work? Would it hurt anything?

And if it did work, ...would it be ok to come out of that HX Effects pedals L/R outputs to each amp? Would it have noise, or do something bad.

I cant imagine it would. Someone, somewhere along the line, must surely have plugged in 2 amps, coming OUT of a stereo chorus or delay pedal.

Please let me know your thought. TY

Interesting question.

The FU-3 has 6 wires in the plug: 2 for the power (+15 volts DC and ground), so you might be able to get away with grabbing the power for these 2 wires from just one of the amps, or you could power the 2 wires from a separate source if you were feeling adventurous.

2 of the wires are for the latching foot switches for the “EQ” and “LOOP,” and the final 2 are for the switching functions for channels 1, 2, and 3 to get back to the amp.

In theory, your idea could work. Let me think about it some more.

I think both heads need their own electrical control circuits. Easiest way to control both would be to buy some external switchers (Voodoo lab control switcher, em custom, engl z 11…) and control those via MIDI…

Latest posts

Back