Cable for Quad Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
I've had a Quad for ove a year, and finally picked up an FU-2 pedal off of eBay. The footswitch did not come with a cable, so I tried to make my own.

It didn't work. Are the wires in the cable supposed to be shielded?

I opened up the FU-2, and it looks like I only need four wires, no ground. I took my time soldering, and made sure they were connected right. If it does not require a shielded cable, my next option is to undo one side, and test the wires un soldered in various combinations. Wish me luck.

Hi guys !

I'm waking up this reaaally old post because I have the same problem.

I'm going to pick up my "new" quad preamp tomorrow and I know that there's no cable provided with the quad preamp and its FU-2 footswitch

I'm getting ready to buy a male XLR 4 pins connector, a female XLR 4 pins connector and a shielded 4 conductors cable but I'm in doubt about the shielding connection.

The manual I downloaded from mesa website is an 11 pages PDF file and it doesn't say anything about the pinout . I only know that it is supposed to be two XLR 4 pins standard connectors and that the 4 conductors cable is supposed to be shielded.

I need a cable with 4 wires + the shielding around them . Am I right ?

pin 1 of the male connector to pin 1 of the female connector
pin 2 of the male connector to pin 2 of the female connector
pin 3 of the male connector to pin 3 of the female connector
pin 4 of the male connector to pin 4 of the female connector
The shielding around the 4 wires is supposed to be connected to the connector's body on each side and not to any of those 4 pins in conjunction with one of those 4 conductors wires that are connected to the 4 pins of the XLR plug . Am I right ?

If anybody could confirm it for me it would be great

Mailprimo said:
pin 1 of the male connector to pin 1 of the female connector
pin 2 of the male connector to pin 2 of the female connector
pin 3 of the male connector to pin 3 of the female connector
pin 4 of the male connector to pin 4 of the female connector
The shielding around the 4 wires is supposed to be connected to the connector's body on each side and not to any of those 4 pins in conjunction with one of those 4 conductors wires that are connected to the 4 pins of the XLR plug . Am I right ?

If anybody could confirm it for me it would be great

What you said sounds correct. I’m having problems with my foot switch too and I didn’t realize that I needed a shielded cable. I’m going to order some cable and redo the connectors on either end and if it works I’ll let you know.

I finally fixed the foot switch for my Quad; I had to resolder a broken leg on one of the big disc capacitors, and then I traced the problem down to a bad 74165 chip. When I replaced it, the foot switch started working like it should. 👍

Edit: my foot switch works just fine with either a non-shielded 4-pin cable or a shielded one; doesn’t matter. And the pins are wired up 1 to 1, 2 to 2, and so on.

Back