Power Amp for Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Newbie to the forum and Mesa. Recently got a studio preamp and it sounds great. However I think it would sound better through a better power amp than my DSL40 or Peavey VTM120. What are the best suggestions? Budget isn’t a a problem, I want good hard rock/metal tones. If there are other helpful threads on this topic already feel free to scold me! Thanks.

Depends what size venue/ how loud you need to get.
If you want to go era specific to match the studio pre get a Simulclass 2/95.

More modern, Simulclass 2:90

I used a 50/50 for years and they're also excellent. The simulclass 2:90 has some extra capabilities for tone shaping, but they are really better paired with more modern Triaxis or Rectifier preamps. Also has lots of juice, they can blow your face off.

I’m using it for recording and home studio stuff. I’m just looking for something tight and clear, just good overall tone. I’m new to the separate power amp thing so just a good quick solution that will satisfy the average guy.

I would think the fifty/fifty is more than sufficient, I've have had one for 20 years & it still sounds great.

You might also consider a cab clone or cab clone IR if you are just recording.

https://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinet-simulator/cab-clone.html

Yea, that’s what I’ve heard. I’m looking at the stereo 2:50 power amp. How’s the sound quality for that compared to the 50/50?

I *believe* it was just a cosmetic upgrade to the front panel interface, but don't take that as gospel.

You might also want to consider Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound software/plug in. I use a VHT 2150 IR with my Peavey Rockmaster and Rockman preamps that sounds fantastic - at least it does in headphones :)

Just talked to Mike B. He says that the IIC+ and IIC are pretty different in circuitry, and when I asked him about modifying the Quad to be closer to IIC+ schematics, he told me that that Quad is basically a IIC+ and not much like a IIC circuit. I made sure I was understanding him right -- the Quad channel 1 is basically a IIC+ and not a IIC.

He did point out a few things that could make the tone a little different. Obviously there are the differences in the circuitry that I've found, but they really are pretty negligable except for that section after the lead. Another point he made is that the record out circuit loads the preamp a little and could darken it. The solution to that is to either disconnect the record out circuit, or to use the effects send direct to power amp. He said another big thing is the power amp. He noted that the later IIb series and most of the IIIs have basically the same power amp. He also said a 50/50 was very close, which I have.

He made the point that he's taken IIIs, which have a very similar layout, and he's modded them to IIC+, so that the circuit is exactly the same, and the output looks the same on the oscilloscope, and it sounds the same, but it doesn't feel the same to the player.

So basically this mod is probably pretty pointless. Everywhere else I've seen has said that the Quad is based on the IIC, but apparently it's actually based on the IIC+. If I could find a schematic of the IIC I could verify this, but frankly I trust Mike B. on this.

The interesting thing is, I was looking to tame a bit of the high end on my Quad, and he told me that if anything the Quad is a little darker than the IIC+. Anyway, he was very informative. If I get curious, I might try to modify the circuit to make it identical to the IIC+, but it seems like it might be a lot of work for little return.

I’m currently using a Suhr reactive IR. So I’m good as far as an impulse loader goes, don’t need cab clone or torpedo captor. Just looking for the best power amp to pair with the Mesa studio preamp. There isn’t a lot of information or videos Ive found comparing them that were helpful so I’m asking. Currently my top choice is the Mesa Stereo 2:50 because I can get it new and don’t have to worry about buying a potentially very old power amp. If there are any other new power amps on the market that you think are better I’d love to hear it because I’m not very knowledgeable about the market for this.

Back