Solid state power amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csgband

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Studio Pre.
I am wondering if there is a good sounding solid state power amp to go with it?
I will not be using this live, it is for recording studio only.
I do have the Fryette Power Station, seems ok but I am wondering about other options.
Thanks, Chris

another thought I had is using a Mesa Boogie Mark II B Combo 1982 as power amp and speaker.
I guy has one near me for a good price, it will cost less than buying a Boogie power amp.
Does this make any sense?
Thanks

Maybe just more sense than using solid state power...

Man, just try to find an option with power tubes to feed Studio Preamp

Recently I passed on a Boogie 50/50 power amp for $300.00 because I have one already. They come up for sale regularly for $400-$500. The 50/50 is stellar and approximately 4.5 times better than a Solid State amp.

Here's one listed for $500 on CL. https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/d/danbury-mesa-boogie-stereo-power-amp/7192797214.html

I used to use a IIb to power the StudPre. It's basically the same power amp as a IIC+. IMO, a 60 watt IIb with a couple of Sylvania STR-415's (or if you can't get ahold of them, some SED Winged C's STR 454 are a close 2nd) is one of the sweetest tones there is.

Plus, having a IIb would be nice- it's my favorite clean tone in the world (and my father used to collect Fender Blackface's)

The only solid state amp I would consider is the Crest 4801 for obvious reasons with the Studio Preamp. But that depends on if you are a big Nirvana fan or not.

Back