Stereo 2:90 Versions differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyramid Head

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been using a TriAxis with a 50/50 power amp & Two 1x12" Recto Cabs (the original, not the newer smaller cabs) for over 12 years, and I've always had great tone: it's really made some fellow pro guitarist friends almost cry, telling me how awesome my tone is, and how much it made them realize how theirs is really not that great.

Versatility was my main concern and focus, and I've always thought that my old 50/50 helped in that department, giving me a fatter and rounder sound that was helping me nailing all those low and medium gain vintage sounds.
I heard the 2:90 is the sweetest and fattest Mesa power amp (besides older units) so would I really lose any benefits from my 50/50 if I switch to a 2:90??

BUT... Being a high gain fiend and loving those early Dream Theater tight, aggressive and saturated tones, while I can really get into the ballpark, I've always found that something's missing...

And been wondering about the 2:90 for many years. I think the additional tonal options offered by the modes, especially Modern, is exactly what I've been missing.

So I've got an opportunity to get my hands on a 2:90 Version I but the seller isn't very flexible on the price.
Edit: The seller just contacted me asking what's the highest price I would go for after ignoring him for a while since he tried BS'ing me about the 2:90's value and availability, saying it goes for 3,000$ on eBay and is discontinued... He's been asking for 1,200$ but I would like to get it for around 900$, needs retube so good argument.

TLDR:

~> I remember reading a long time ago about some differences between Version I and II of the 2:90, but besides the power tubes configuration I can't find any info...

~> I remember hearing about the Version I being more noisy and about a loud popping sound issue when switching modes.

So I'm asking you experts!

Are there really no differences between Version I and II besides the power tubes configuration?

Is the Version I really more noisy?

Do both Versions have the same popping issue and is there any fix?

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Hello. I've had the opportunity to only try version one, which I've owned since the mid 90's. I don't have a triaxis tho. I slave my C+ to it. No, it's never been noisy. Of course if you crank up the levels all of the way, with no input, you will hear a very slight hiss. And of course certain power tubes may produce different issues as well ( hum, microphonics etc..) as probably the same with your 50/50. Popping issue: the only popping that does occur with mine is switching half drive on and off. The LDR's used in that circuit is supposed to reduce or eliminate but it's still there. It's not a huge transient but definitely audible. In your situation, if you are happy with your tone, keep it. They say don't mess with success. Imo, if I had to do it over I would have gotten the 50/50. A lot less maintenance. Hope this helps, Jim.

Henz said:
, if you are happy with your tone, keep it. They say don't mess with success. Imo, if I had to do it over I would have gotten the 50/50. A lot less maintenance. Hope this helps, Jim.

Thanks a lot.

As far as being happy with my tone, I'd say yes I can get lots of phenomenal tones out of my setup, and since in the past I was working mainly in cover bands and in 'era shows (with dancers and everything) that are all about playing all the classics and having attitude, versatility was my main focus. And the TriAxis, contrarily to what people who aren't familiar with the unit might think, is an insanely versatile tone machine! Put enough time into the TriAxis and you'll continue to find hidden gems of tone all the time year after year!

I had originally bought the 50/50 back when I was studying music in college, to pair it with a Marshall JMP-1 (one trick pony but sounds really good, just very cold & metallic OD, not organic and open like the TriAxis).

So that power amp was just my first and I bought it because I wanted something that has lots of headroom, balls, is 6L6 based, that I could afford since I was a Student and also a Mesa because... Well it's Mesa!

I only got the TriAxis a few years later when I got lucky and had a very high paying summer job for two years and could then start to think about what would be the best gear for me instead of what's the best I can get with the very restricted budget I had.

I had bought Two Recto 1x12" Cabs a while before the TriAxis and after getting lots of gear and a few guitars, by the time I got the TriAxis well... My budget was spent. And since I found that my setup with the 50/50 really kicked ***, I put aside for a long while the idea of getting the Stereo 2:90 to see if it would be an improvement.

And... I really have no idea why... But at the time I thought that the 2:90 would be LESS versatile...

But as time went by and I had really learned how to dial in my TriAxis, I found out that it wasn't me who couldn't find the proper settings to get the Crunch & Overdrive tones I wanted and knew this unit was capable of producing, it was my 50/50 power amp that just wasn't able to do those sick hard rock/prog/metal tones I had always wanted to get with the Triaxis.

So, while I was "satisfied" with the 50/50 for 90% of the job I needed it to do when gigging covers, I was always left a little disappointed with the saturated tones. So I slowly started looking into getting a 2:90, but my researches were sporadic and the times I looked at classified ads either no unit was for sale or guys selling their rack setup absolutely wanted to sell it as a whole (which is often crazy when there's a rack with 8+ different types of units like multi-effects, compressors, wireless, etc.) or the units I found were either in very bad shape and/or the sellers were asking for an outrageous price.

So since I know play mainly for myself, my own stuff, I really want to be able to get the tones I have been wanting for lots of years... I want to feel satisfaction when I play, a tone that inspires me... You know...

I mean, I do have tones that inspire me, a lot, but there's that something missing that would make me sooo much happier!

So that's why I want to make the switch from the 50/50 to the 2:90.

Anyone has info about the differences between Version I and II ?

I used a Triaxis with a 50/50 first... then got a 2:90 V1... modern mode makes a difference and helps those tones for sure... but it is subtle really 5%... is your 50/50 an original or a deep mod? (Both the older black face style) My 50/50 has the deep mod and really sounds excellent for those tones aswell... the original 50/50 had a mid hump which apparently didnt suit the Triaxis so Mesa revoiced it with a fatter and flatter tone and an extended low end... indicators of the unit being deep mod are the blue pilot light (not always) and the addition of a choke... an original can be modded to a deep mod quite easily i believe... the vast majority of 50/50s are factory deep mods... you can call Mesa tell then your serial number and they will tell you which it is.

Back